LOCKDOWN UPDATE - LATEST

davylad

I went down to the lakes early this morning (4am) to do some pest control, 2 police cars past me and just looked, they didn't stop me. Now what's the point in bringing out these rules when no-one is enforcing them? I could have been anybody doing anything, plus I had the gun over my shoulder (in a gun bag).
Maybe because it's not law until tomorrow.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I think we as anglers should be seen to support the lockdown, not try to avoid it or disparage its reasoning.

OK, we can't fish for a few weeks or possibly even months. So let's accept it gracefully and use the time to do something else.

A few ideas:
- A full 'spring clean' of all our gear. Re-spooling reels, re-elasticating topkits, mending, cleaning, oiling, hook tying, etc. etc.
- Sell any unwanted stuff in the MDs Classifieds. (or donate to a club etc.)
- Replenish our kit via online shopping with more stuff that we really really do need ;)
- Try writing up a previous outing - MDs "Where you fished today" forum doesn't literally mean today. A story of a trip last year would be fine.

It's going to feel like a long haul. But we can keep each other sane by not continually bemoaning our lot. Let's have some positive posts to lift our spirits.

( @Dave - could it be time to revive the "virtual fishing" matches perhaps? )

Chin up chaps. We can survive this. (y)

rudd

Site Supporter
My missus says that fishing should be allowed as we are all a lot of saddos. She says ... why do you sit so far apart ? Don’t you like one another. 🙄🤣🤣
Tell her the continentals sit closer together as they have shorter poles 😄

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Still awaiting a statement from AT.
One club on whose Committee I serve has closed all waters. The other two clubs I am a member of are waiting for the AT guidelines.

berty bunker

just in from A.T.
TATEMENT FROM THE ANGLING TRUST ON THE NATIONAL LOCKDOWN RULES
Whilst the regulations have not yet been published we have been informed this evening by the Cabinet Office that the Government have taken the decision that fishing will not be permitted during this national lockdown period. Whilst this is disappointing news I would ask anglers, fisheries and clubs to respect these rules and the reason they have been put in place; to help save lives and support the NHS.
Individuals should not go fishing from midnight tonight (5th Jan) and clubs and fisheries should close their waters to anglers. We will be publishing more detailed guidance on specific areas like bailiffing and fishery maintenance once the Government regulations have been published.
Over past few weeks we have been in communication with the Government at the highest possible level. We have presented a strong case on how fishing could continue safely during the third national lockdown. We have explained that fishing benefits physical health and mental wellbeing and that it is regularly the only form of activity individuals undertake. You can read our representations to Cabinet Ministers here -
https://anglingtrust.net/.../Angling-and-outdoor...
My team and I have consistently presented the arguments ahead of the changing government guidelines, which have allowed fishing to remain permitted continuously since the first national lockdown was lifted in May. We have been successful when other sports have not as all anglers will know.
However, with 60,000 new infections announced today the Government have taken the decision that leaving home for recreation or leisure, including all forms of recreational fishing, should be prohibited in England during this third national lockdown period.
I thank you for your support and for being a credit to our sport. As members, you can rest assured that the Angling Trust will continue to represent our sport at the highest level and will present proposals for the resumption of angling when it is safe and sensible to do so. We will come through this period of national crisis. We will fish again, but until then, please, stay safe.
Jamie Cook - CEO Angling Trust
Image may contain: sky and outdoor, text that says 'Covid-19 Lockdown ANGLING TRUST Update'

https://www.facebook.com/BridgnorthAS/

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter

Statement from the Angling Trust on the national lockdown rules​

UPDATE – January 5, 2021

Whilst the regulations have not yet been published we have been informed this evening by the Cabinet Office that the Government have taken the decision that fishing in England will not be permitted during this national lockdown period. Whilst this is disappointing news I would ask anglers, fisheries and clubs to respect these rules and the reason they have been put in place; to help save lives and support the NHS.

Individuals should not go fishing from midnight tonight (5th January) and clubs and fisheries should close their waters to anglers. We will be publishing more detailed guidance on specific areas like bailiffing and fishery maintenance once the Government regulations have been published.

Over the past few weeks we have been in communication with the Government at the highest possible level. We have presented a strong case on how fishing could continue safely during the third national lockdown. We have explained that fishing benefits physical health and mental wellbeing and that it is regularly the only form of activity individuals undertake. You can read our representations to Cabinet Ministers here.

My team and I have consistently presented the arguments ahead of the changing government guidelines, which have allowed fishing to remain permitted continuously since the first national lockdown was lifted in May. We have been successful when other sports have not as all anglers will know.

However, with 60,000 new infections announced today, the Government have taken the decision that leaving home for recreation or leisure, including all forms of recreational fishing, should be prohibited in England during this third national lockdown period.

I thank you for your support and for being a credit to our sport. As members, you can rest assured that the Angling Trust will continue to represent our sport at the highest level and will present proposals for the resumption of angling when it is safe and sensible to do so. We will come through this period of national crisis. We will fish again, but until then, please, stay safe.

Jamie Cook
CEO, Angling Trust

Wales​

Details of Covid restrictions and how they affect angling in Wales can be found here.

Reuben

Site Supporter
That’s a bugger. Fishing & golf still allowed up here. Pity there’s so little of it - fishing I mean.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Just had text from chairperson of the angling club committee...

As from midnight tonight, our lakes will be closed for fishing until further notice.