LOCKDOWN UPDATE - LATEST

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I didn't delete my reply a mod must have deleted both our posts, I don't think the lockdown is pointless ,they have gone a lot stricter with this lock down, if you read the link Dave put up, they have also increased the fines quite a bit, I like to be positive and think when the lockdown ends the benefit of the vaccine rollout will have kicked in.
I mean I'd hope so mate! Hopefully this time I don't see restaurants employing loophole tactics with wooden stalls outside their windows selling toilet roll and other 'essentials' which classify them as 'essential stores' to keep their main business operating. Hopefully this time stores follow and enforce the 2-3M Rule. Hopefully this time rules will be set in place where people have to wear masks outside no matter what and don't just take them off the moment they leave the store in the middle of a busy town literally destroying any progress made in the store, Hopefully kids aren't able to just run rampant without following any rules at all, And hopefully they're forced to wear a mask. Hopefully people who can't force their kids to wear a mask are better supported so parents can safely shop for essentials without bringing kids and putting everybody else at risk, Hopefully.....

Again, I'm not against lockdown.. Just the above.

Hope this isn't too political, Dave. I don't want to be seen as someone who doesn't believe in the virus or has a disregard for the rules because I'm not. Just a critic of how things are dealt with.

Connor

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We would prefer if people kept the topic of discussion in the relevant threads, otherwise it becomes a jumbled mess of repeated opinions

:)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I went down to the lakes early this morning (4am) to do some pest control, 2 police cars past me and just looked, they didn't stop me. Now what's the point in bringing out these rules when no-one is enforcing them? I could have been anybody doing anything, plus I had the gun over my shoulder (in a gun bag).

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The police aren't going to stop you as you've previously told them who you are and what you do.... unless you were in disguise 😏

lliopp

Site Supporter
Well my just in case pint of pinkie's are getting frozen this morning.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Why not take any baits to your nearest lake/river and feed the fish. If you're stopped by plod, just say you're looking after the fishes welfare stating DEFRA and the Wildlife and Countryside act.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I went down to the lakes early this morning (4am) to do some pest control, 2 police cars past me and just looked, they didn't stop me. Now what's the point in bringing out these rules when no-one is enforcing them? I could have been anybody doing anything, plus I had the gun over my shoulder (in a gun bag).
We have been asked to observe the Lockdown from today, but the police don't have the powers to enforce it until after Parliament has voted and it is written into law, which happens on Wednesday. With the first lockdown it was different because Parliament had voted to give the Government the power to rule on the pandemic as they saw fit. But at the end of that lockdown, Parliament voted to end that law, and vote on each change to the law from that point on. So until Parliament votes on Wednesday it's guidance not law, and the police are only able to uphold law.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
end of the day all we can do is each of us follow the rules/guidance as much as we can, i really do not think the police have enough people and time to stop everyone and to be honest they shouldnt need to as we are adults and know what we are supposed to do.

For instance i can walk 3 mins and 150yds to the beach and sea fish with frozen bait from my freezer but the new rules say no leisure so im not going to even though i wouldnt be driving or interacting with anyone, i dont need someone to stop and check me, i dont need the police to tell me not to do it, we have all been asked to stay home as much as possible and that is what i know i should do.

Will only head out to buy food every 3/4 days and even now i have purchased powdered eggs, mushrooms, spinach and cheese so i can make myself 100 omellettes without having to go and buy any food

62tucker

Site Supporter
Probably put their foot down.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You do have to chuckle at the irony of how the river banks will go from being host to a sprinkling of well spread out anglers, boaters, swimmers etc to now hosting a constant stream of walkers packed along the tow paths getting their daily exercise now they have nothing else to do 😅

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
During last lock down never saw many people walking around dam flask and leaving litter of fast food wrappers and drink bottles fishing wasn't allowed but plenty of people having barbecues even swimming

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
We are open today but from Midnight we are ordered to close or do call and collect.
People will still carry on fishing regardless but hopefully the 6 in a bivvy doped up will not return but somehow I doubt it.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I agree I don’t think you should pigeonhole them unless a clear difference can be shown. Like it think it’s fairly obvious that rugby is more risky than golf whereas golf being more risky than fishing whilst possible is more of a stretch.

Tbh the leisure activities ban is one thing but limiting people to leaving their house once a day when the risk is now proven tiny outside is a bit much but I guess it is what it is. Bit too cold out now anyway 😉
Golf was banned because it includes a clubhouse and alcohol. Nothing to do with the actual game. Hence match fishing was too, unless you were above the law.