LOCKDOWN UPDATE - LATEST

grey

Site Supporter
See, told you the AT would help the Government see the sense in allowing fishing - must admit, didn't think they'd do it this quick though!

Fred Davis

Colin Perry has just posted on facebook due to a concerted effort by mp's and the angling trust under the broad umbrella of allowed exercise fishing to be allowed , statement to follow by A T

DFL

Site Supporter
I'm as passionate about my fishing as everyone here but for me this is an awful decision. It opens the floodgates to the selfish, the irresponsible and the just plain stupid and as has been stated by Chris earlier we will now have the "whataboutme" brigade pleading their case.

Im in the minority with my views I know but for the sake of a few months until we are vaccinated fishing and other similar pursuits could be put on hold. If overnights are to be banned I can already see the grief this will cause within my club and put the voluntary bailiffs under greater pressure and risk. Has'nt the government got more pressing matters than spending time consulting with the AT.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
In answer to a few commonly asked questions:

What's the definition of Local? - The basic rule is if you have to travel outside of your local area you have gone too far.

Why can't we Match fish? - Because organised sporting gatherings are not allowed.

Are Keepnets allowed? - Is that a serious question?

Why can't we Night fish? - Because it does not fall within Daily exercise.

AdeB

Site Supporter
I wonder if all the FB idiots who really did condemn the AT will now be saying "who the f*** are they to say i can go fishing? I'm staying at home and no one can stop me!"

markyboy

I dont think it is the right decision and stand by what I have said elsewhere and will not be going fishing. Stay safe all.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I think "Local" needs a lot more precise definition.

For me, the nearest fishery is about a 6 mile drive. In all honesty I can't see that as being local. So I can't go fishing at the moment.

But I'll bet there are many others who'll think differently and travel 10, 20 miles or more to their 'local' fishing spot.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Never mind. I've found it here: National lockdown: Stay at Home
If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work. Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.
I'll repeat that bit in big bold letters:

Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.

grey

Site Supporter
I'm as passionate about my fishing as everyone here but for me this is an awful decision. It opens the floodgates to the selfish, the irresponsible and the just plain stupid and as has been stated by Chris earlier we will now have the "whataboutme" brigade pleading their case.

Im in the minority with my views I know but for the sake of a few months until we are vaccinated fishing and other similar pursuits could be put on hold. If overnights are to be banned I can already see the grief this will cause within my club and put the voluntary bailiffs under greater pressure and risk. Has'nt the government got more pressing matters than spending time consulting with the AT.
I understand your concerns, but there is a bigger picture here, it isn't just about the prevention of spreading Coronavirus, there is also the nation's mental health to protect wherever possible.

The risk of spreading the virus whilst fishing is relatively low when compared to the health benefits it offers - as proven to the Gov't by the AT.

If your concern is for the voluntary bailiffs being at an unnecessary risk, then they should not be out at all - it's not your duty to ensure anglers abide by national laws, and IMO the need to enforce your club water rules pale into insignificance when compared to the risk of spreading Covid every time a bailiff approaches another angler.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I think "Local" needs a lot more precise definition.

For me, the nearest fishery is about a 6 mile drive. In all honesty I can't see that as being local. So I can't go fishing at the moment.

But I'll bet there are many others who'll think differently and travel 10, 20 miles or more to their 'local' fishing spot.
From the AT, says within district, nothing about staying in your local village or town. So who's right?

Screenshot_20210107-131230_Chrome.jpg

grey

Site Supporter
Never mind. I've found it here: National lockdown: Stay at Home

I'll repeat that bit in big bold letters:

Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.
It also states you can travel to exercise outdoors: local if possible, but you can travel if necessary. Fishing is classed as exercise, so I assume travelling to the nearest water is reasonable.

For me, I expect a 30 mile trip to the Trent is unreasonable when I have the Welland within 10 miles.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It’s really cracking me up, you’d think people haven’t been able to fish for 6 months, let alone 6 days, I enjoy my fishing as much as anyone but it’s not the end of the world if you can’t go 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
So why has wifey been giving me the 'dagger eyes' every day for the last 6 days? :unsure:

alsur

Site Supporter
It’s really cracking me up, you’d think people haven’t been able to fish for 6 months, let alone 6 days, I enjoy my fishing as much as anyone but it’s not the end of the world if you can’t go 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Us old buggers had to stop for 3 months every year and that was just as the fishing was starting to pick up after winter, we survived.