LOCKDOWN NEWSFLASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsur

Site Supporter
Not convinced the government have made right decision and chances of people staying local are very low.

This is governments definition of stay local "Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live" how many people will stick to that.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
The A T website is down. So lots of people are logging in to see if it's true.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What's the definition of Local? - The basic rule is if you have to travel outside of your local area you have gone too far.

Why can't we Match fish? - Because organised sporting gatherings are not allowed.

Are Keepnets allowed? - Is that a serious question?

Why can't we Night fish? - Because it does not fall within Daily exercise.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Not convinced the government have made right decision and chances of people staying local are very low.

This is governments definition of stay local "Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live" how many people will stick to that.
Within your postcode is local in my opinion.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
From a legal aspect fishing is allowed for exercise. If you have to travel further than you would if you were to do some other form of exercise then legally you should do that instead.

There will always be an element of elasticity in the rules, however people need to be sensible in how they adopt them.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Oh Creeps, that means I have to break the ice on both ponds now. Flippin' heck...gimme a break.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The local point is a bit of a contentious one, I’d say I’ve stayed local so far as distance is concerned from the start of this whole thing but I think this time the key is not to go into another population if that makes sense. In my case that means I won’t be going to any of my usual Oxford area stretches as that very much involves going into or at least through another conurbation if that’s the right word. I’ll instead stick to strictly rural places that don’t involve such interactions.

Tbh it doesn’t really matter where I fish this time of year as I rarely catch much anyway in winter so just be nice to be out the house wherever it is after weeks of isolation.

david white

Site Supporter
Within your postcode is local in my opinion.
And therein lies the issues, no disrespect to you hitman ( anybody could have written the quote ) there NEEDS to be a clear set in stone to be obeyed by all RULE because if I and many others can be expected to drive 50 or more miles to do my job of work, day upon working day, there MUST be less risk ( if only proportional ) in driving ‘ locally ‘once a week to go fishing
I WILL obey ‘ local ‘ in that I will fish the nearest water I already have access to and not travel further to fish other venues I also have access to ( if that makes sense )

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Two things really, 1/-I don’t have anywhere local that I want to fish, and 2/- I’m now shielding anyway 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️So I definitely won’t be venturing out...I can see people are basically just going to go to their favourite venues anyway, regardless of distance!!

JayD

From what I’ve seen most anglers do tow the line and for the few anglers that don’t their impact is going to be fairly minimal given the nature of angling being outside and not generally performed in groups. Plus those anglers that dont do as they should are likely the type to be not doing things properly in the supermarket and their homes anyway so the minimal extra risk such knob heads cause by fishing irresponsibly is going to be immaterial compared to the damage they’ll already be doing in other walks of life.

I’m not just pro angling on this from a selfish point of view. I’m just pro anything that can be done with very little risk that can lift the public mood and add to the national purse so any outdoor activity that can be carried out without physical or close contact and shared equipment should be allowed given the risk outdoors is proven to be incredibly low. If exercising more than once a day was allowed but not angling I’d still see that as progress for example.

I’ll do whatever the rules tell me to do whatever they are which is the important thing but it doesn’t mean I have to agree with them. You can be as careful as you like and certainly should be as careful as you can within reason but there’s no point not living at all as this thing can still bite you at any minute. My nearest and dearest all caught it sat at home having not left the house for a week so you are not truly safe anywhere so there’s no point stopping doing the stuff that on balance should be fairly safe.
The sad thing is, that whatever 'most' people do, or don't do, can be thrown out of the window by the actions of the minority. Most people didn't go to anti lockdown/5G/ Bill Gates protests, raves, crowded beaches/beauty spots etc, or travelled 30/40 miles to fish a match, when advised not to. But I'm dam sure that there were negative consequences because of their actions. If the AT lobby for an early return to fishing albeit with certain restrictions, then it might satisfy some anglers, but not all. Just look at last time, those who couldn't understand why they could fish, but not in matches, the greedy/ stupid owners of some commercials that stayed open, even ran matches, and the anglers who paid to fish them, and then all the arguments that followed. Other sports/pastimes wanted to know why we could do stuff that they weren't allowed, causing resentment. They all feel that they are a 'special case' and others are getting preferential treatment, a part of human nature I suppose. I don't do Facebook, twitter etc, I wouldn't last long if I did, but I hear from those who do, and see myself on the forums I'm on, people 'banging on' about the Government being too soft with those who break the 'rules'. Then in the next breath saying they themselves should be allowed more personal freedom, because they 'know' that what they do is safe, or only has a tiny risk factor!
It was bad enough earlier in the year, but now with these much more virulent, strains of the virus, and us just entering what's usually considered the 'flu season', I believe we should suck it up, and try and get through the next couple of months as safely as we can, and hope for better things in the future.

John.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Not sure this is a good idea especially saying that it is part of your daily exercise.....opens the gate for many other hobbies/pastimes to be classed as daily exercise, how about golf, canoeing etc they can all possibly make a good case for being allowed now
Anglers as a group would have gained much more credibility by saying 'you know what to help the greater cause we can refrain from fishing for a few weeks'

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I'm 4-5 miles from work same for supermarket and the river in fact I can walk to the river but this stretch is not on my book possibly 3 miles to my nearest stretch on my book . If I were to run cycle or walk I could do it without driving but I dont. So I'll be fishing tomorrow.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Just an idea, open to discussion:
Should/could fisheries/bailiffs ask to see not only rod licences but your drivers licence/passport and then turn people away that are not local to the fishery?

62tucker

Site Supporter
All rules will be broken. Depends what part of country you live where fishing is local.
There’s people driving 50 miles to walk the dog on the beach. ( how much more dangerous is it than driving 5 miles )
Driving 10,15,20 miles to fish a quiet place is probably better than 5 mile to a busy commercial.
To many interpretations really for anyone to be a judge.
Just bet safe and be careful

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Just an idea, open to discussion:
Should/could fisheries/bailiffs ask to see not only rod licences but your drivers licence/passport and then turn people away that are not local to the fishery?
They should, but they won’t, they’ll just take the ticket money

Status
Not open for further replies.