LOCKDOWN NEWSFLASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angling Trust

RSS Feed

Angling Trust

LOCKDOWN UPDATE

Evening Everyone

Following yesterday's written communication from the Cabinet Office that fishing is to be prohibited throughout the third national lockdown period we contacted supportive MPs and highlighted the problems with this decision and the logic behind it, with a view to securing a safe return to angling as soon as possible. Late this evening I was informed by DCMS officials that the Government are again reconsidering their position.

It would appear that the definition of "exercise" may well be wider than the previous ‘running, walking, cycling’ and we have insisted that the Government recognise both the physical health and mental wellbeing benefits of angling in any decision they make. We strongly believe that exercise should not simply be limited to high impact, aerobic activities which the first lockdown proved led to many in society being left without the means to maintain an active lifestyle. The Government has heard our case loud and clear and it was repeated with some force by MP’s in this afternoons commons debate. We hope that they will now acknowledge, as they have before, that fishing is part of the solution and not part of the problem.

We are expecting to see the publication of revised guidance and supporting FAQ’s from the Government tomorrow. We will immediately share these with the angling community the moment they become available. We are working as hard as we can for our members and the sport we all love and when we know more so will you.

This is incredibly frustrating for all of us. Anglers have acted with huge credit throughout this period and I thank you for your support.
Please stay safe

Jamie

Jamie Cook
CEO – Angling Trust

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Id be surprised if they got it through tbh but would obviously welcome it if they do. Definitely be taking a print out of the governments approval if it does go ahead as can't imagine it'll be widely publicised I don't fancy getting me collar felt!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
To be honest, whilst I doubt most going fishing will pose a danger to themselves or anyone else, I think it might have been a good idea to let this one lie. As soon as you start allowing one thing and not another, it brings out the "whataboutery" and the pee takers. All it ends up doing is reducing the impact of the stay at home message.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I'd be surprised if they got it too, but it may allow for a return to angling in the first "unwrapping" of restrictions, if things go well in the lockdown. If they do get the go ahead it should include restrictions on distance.

JayD

I don't know why they can't just sit tight on this one and ride it out rather than keep pushing the gov who have made a decision and now are getting forced to maybe backtrack?
I agree, keep it as it is, until hopefully things settle down. If they do succeed then it will only start the same whining arguments that we had the last time.

With that in mind, I don't know what planet the ATr are on when they publish this, "Anglers have acted with huge credit throughout this period". If they had said 'some anglers' then it would have been nearer the truth.

John.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't know why they can't just sit tight on this one and ride it out rather than keep pushing the gov who have made a decision and now are getting forced to maybe backtrack?
Because if they did they wouldn't be doing the job of representing their members interests.

If it's successful then great news, if not no one can say they haven't tried.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Should sit tight and ride out the lockdown in my view.

Fine with them arguing the case for angling to be one of the first activities to open up in a few weeks.

My view - no doubt others will have a different one.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Let me guess... fishing will be allowed again from Monday, just as soon as my 2nd period of furlough ends :mad:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If it's successful then great news, if not no one can say they haven't tried.
Spot on 👍🏻

It has to be remembered that they don't just represent us recreational anglers but also the tackle companies, tackle shops, fishing guides, charter captains etch to whom angling staying open would make a big difference to their incomes. It's a no brainer to me the tiny level of risk in angling is far outweighed by the economic, physical and mental benefits it can bring.

That said I still dont think they'll get it through as back tracking now won't look good in some people's eyes. Should have got it right the first time really but as they didn't whilst I personally think it's right to make amends I fully understand why you'd stick to your guns to save face.

JayD

Spot on 👍🏻

It has to be remembered that they don't just represent us recreational anglers but also the tackle companies, tackle shops, fishing guides, charter captains etch to whom angling staying open would make a big difference to their incomes. It's a no brainer to me the tiny level of risk in angling is far outweighed by the economic, physical and mental benefits it can bring.

That said I still dont think they'll get it through as back tracking now won't look good in some people's eyes. Should have got it right the first time really but as they didn't whilst I personally think it's right to make amends I fully understand why you'd stick to your guns to save face.
I think that they should be representing the whole nation, and especially the NHS, slightly higher in priority than going fishing, I would think.

Wearing masks, sanitizing, and keeping a distance, minimizes the risk of infection, but there are a lot of people that won't do it. What makes you believe that anglers as a whole would keep to any restrictions that applied? Plenty didn't the last time, why would this be any different?

John.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Personally I'd rather suck it up for a few more weeks, give them chance to get the vaccine out in bigger numbers and hopefully break the back of this bloody virus.

johnnym124

Gonna be mixed views on this one, as much as I love my fishing, for hopefully this last big countrywide push I think fishing along with most other things should be sacrificed, all it will do is allow yet more bending of the rules elsewhere, I’m already seeing so many more non essential businesses in most people’s eyes remaining open this time around in comparison to last March’s “proper” lockdown, he (Boris) should re word the work message to only allow truly essential manufacturing and construction to continue to operate not factories making yachts, goalposts and concrete posts using a few local examples to open!. So let’s sit tight else this lockdown will have no impact whatsoever, and incidentally I am on furlough, have been for 3 months last year between March and June, November nearly all December and again now so potentially I could be fishing everyday but for once let’s all pull together for hopefully the very last few weeks/months.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I hope they allow fishing, the river is finally looking spot on, i have 1½ pt's of maggots and ½ a pint of pinkies, bought the day before the announcement, I hate to drown them all without putting one on a hook. I think its unlikely tho.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think that they should be representing the whole nation, and especially the NHS, slightly higher in priority than going fishing, I would think.

Wearing masks, sanitizing, and keeping a distance, minimizes the risk of infection, but there are a lot of people that won't do it. What makes you believe that anglers as a whole would keep to any restrictions that applied? Plenty didn't the last time, why would this be any different?

John.
From what I’ve seen most anglers do tow the line and for the few anglers that don’t their impact is going to be fairly minimal given the nature of angling being outside and not generally performed in groups. Plus those anglers that dont do as they should are likely the type to be not doing things properly in the supermarket and their homes anyway so the minimal extra risk such knob heads cause by fishing irresponsibly is going to be immaterial compared to the damage they’ll already be doing in other walks of life.

I’m not just pro angling on this from a selfish point of view. I’m just pro anything that can be done with very little risk that can lift the public mood and add to the national purse so any outdoor activity that can be carried out without physical or close contact and shared equipment should be allowed given the risk outdoors is proven to be incredibly low. If exercising more than once a day was allowed but not angling I’d still see that as progress for example.

I’ll do whatever the rules tell me to do whatever they are which is the important thing but it doesn’t mean I have to agree with them. You can be as careful as you like and certainly should be as careful as you can within reason but there’s no point not living at all as this thing can still bite you at any minute. My nearest and dearest all caught it sat at home having not left the house for a week so you are not truly safe anywhere so there’s no point stopping doing the stuff that on balance should be fairly safe.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
From what I’ve seen most anglers do tow the line and for the few anglers that don’t their impact is going to be fairly minimal given the nature of angling being outside and not generally performed in groups.
I agree with you @Silverfisher . I have seen plenty of anglers making a really big effort to comply with any requirements. The problems were with fisheries who ignored the lockdown in March and probably are this time. If they remain open you can’t complain about people fishing them.

It’s interesting the difference in the reaction of MDs now in comparison with last March and April. I can’t help getting the impression that people aren’t bothered about it in January when they wouldn’t be fishing much anyway. Or am I just too cynical?

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I luv my fishing as much as anybody, but we really need to get this pandemic under control, and the vacinne to be administered to the masses, instead of whinging about not being able to go fishing for a few weeks or months. There are people dying, its not a game, over a 1000 poor souls lost there lives yesterday.
Come on get things into perspective, stay at home, take care and stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.