Lockdown films

Zerkalo

Thief was good. Heavily stylised as you'd expect from Michael Mann but I think the story to Manhunter is a bit more engaging.

H T B

Site Supporter
New one on Prime, Escape from Pretoria.
Based on a true story, stars Daniel Radcliffe

Set in Apartheid 70's
Worth a watch.

H T B

Site Supporter
War film , on Netflix, with a bit of a difference: -

"A Call to Spy"

About recruiting women to spy in France during world war 2.

Based on a true story.

A very good watch

Zerkalo

Still on the Thrillers here. Last 11 watched.

Thief 8/10
Near Dark 10/10
Heat 7/10
Sleepers 6.5/10
Year of the Dragon 5/10
Klute 7/10
Absence of Malice 7.5/10
Basic Instinct 10/10
Body Double 6.5/10
Scanners 9/10
Trouble in Mind 6.5/10

SeanB

Site Supporter
I've watched a couple of films recently which I thought were quite good, a bit odd in their styling maybe, but worth a watch if you have nothing better to do. Both based on actual events.
The Grey Zone - this is about the Jewish sonderkommando uprising in Auschwitz 2 as well as the incident when a survivor of a mass gassing is found alive.

The Photographer of Mauthausen is about a Jewish photographer who secretly hid photographic negatives detailing life in the camp.

Zerkalo

Watching Dark City tonight. Only a few minutes in and don't doubt it will be a decent movie, decent sound design in parts which is part of why I watch films, but it has one of those 'chugging' Action scores I think first popularised around the time of the film Speed. I'm never going to be able to sleep watching it. :LOL:

Zerkalo

Had to turn off Dark City so I can't rate it. Shame as I'd heard had a good neo-noir atmosphere. Not seeing it myself.

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
It’s an old one but me and the Mrs found Dances With Wolves on prime the other day and watched it. Beautiful film.

Joe C

Site Supporter
Watched Greenland the other day on Amazon Prime, very good disaster movie.

Zerkalo

Tried The Running Man last night, this is a daft Arnie film, I thought it might be good due to the Harold Faltermeyer soundtrack but it's just a daft film and not that good so I turned it off and went back to film noir, watching the Warner Bros film White Heat to aid my sleep, it worked as I fell asleep halfway through.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Long time since I've seen that, good film. I might have to try and track it down and watch it again.

Zerkalo

Marathon Man - Starts off really promising, 70s thriller, but doesn't seem to know what to do with itself by the end. 6/10

Don't Look Now - Glad I rewatched this at it confirms to me that Nicolas Roeg is a bit overrated as a director. This always makes best of british film lists but I don't see it myself. Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland are not a bad cast but it seems I have a bit of an aversion to the way British actors always have plummy accents. 4/10

American Gigolo - Richard Gere. :LOL: Again a rewatch for the first time in years but I love this film. It's a bit one dimensional but quite a funny concept. 7.5/10

Zerkalo

Is it safe?

Watched this in the late 70's, following evening walking to then girlfriends house, saw a small person wearing almost identical red coat.
I took a diversion :)
Yeah that interrogation scene is the best of Marathon Man. Don't Look Now is actually quite a bleak film isn't it.