Loch Orchill Sun 29th August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I woke up at half six to see the sun shining through the gap in the bedroom windows. I looked out and noticed only a slight breezes and few clouds in the sky so a good day looked in prospect at Loch Orgill, near Auchterarder, Perthshire. It is approximately a 45 mile drive which takes just under the hour due to the roadworks on the A80, so flasks and sandwiches prepared I left at half seven.

I arrived at Loch Orchill fishery at half past 8, the fishery consists of a trout lake as you enter, and then a drive up a steep bank to two further lakes. One is a snake lake which today was hosting a match and a lake of approx 2 acres where I would be fishing today. Cost is 7 a day and the only bait restrictions are no meat, boilies or bread, with parking adjacent to the pegs which is an asset.

windyorchill.png
A picture of the lake, the waves were quite small at this time

I decided to use peg 11 today, a peg I had used before, and also because the pegs with the wind to the anglers back were already taken.

I set up the pole but found it impossible to use even at 6 metres so I had to use a feeder. Those who know me will know that is not my favourite peace of equipment but I have been practising at Rolfs.

There were a couple fishing next to me and one of them had a small F1 on the feeder while the other tried to fish the pole at 9 metres, he had one small F1 but the wind was ruining presentation and he gave up.

I cast out and clipped up at a distance of approx 30 metres and using a cage feeder put approx 10 casts of bait in. I decided to fish with banded pellet over a bed of dampened micro pellets and SwimStim green groundbait.

After about an hour and I had a good wrap round on the feeder and within a couple of minutes a small F1 was in the landing net. Nothing again for about half an hour, I was regularly reeling in and recasting with bait for this time when I had another wrap round and this produced a small mirror

mirroratorchill.png

I fished for a further two hours but decided at 1.30 to give it up, the wind was getting stronger and cloud cover was blotting out the sun making it rather cold on the bank.

All in all I did enjoy my first trip out in Scotland for well over a year, and I am at last beginning to cast the feeder in approximately the same direction every cast.

Last edited:

Bill G

Grandad
that place looks like it could be pretty bleak in the winter geoffers

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Next time I go near the place I will photos of the surrounding scenery.

It is about 3 miles from Gleneagles, and I think I know where you would prefer to go!!!!!!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Does look a bit open to the elements Geoff [;)].
At least you got out on the bank though.[:)]

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Peter

Does look a bit open to the elements Geoff [;)].
At least you got out on the bank though.[:)]
[/quote

It is definitely open to the elements peter but it makes up for that with the stunning scenery and youve a good chance of seeing a lot of raptors

Status
Not open for further replies.