Local (much misunderstood) Traveller in court

SoulSoldier

Site Supporter
just a quickie. Last year just after the Evesham Festival I posted that I had some trouble with ‘somebody’ collecting car parking money. I challenged him and his friends disappeared leaving me and him to sort it out. Eventually, after a bit of heated argy bargy he let me past for £2.00 instead of him asking for £7.00 and said that I could park free the next day. When I posted a warning on MD’s site, I received quite a lot of sarcastic and negative reply’s. Well a local traveller has been in court for scamming punters (someone obviously reported him). I don’t want to say I told you so but............. I do live in Evesham and I am used to these type of scams, as there are many traveller sites around Evesham and scams like this are quite common.
BTW. Please don’t brand me racist I am a realist.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
If travellers who round these parts are still called pikies or tinkers abided by the law and paid taxes etc etc instead of stealing metal, fuel, cable, quads, caravans,bikes,motorbikes, plant, dogs and shoplifting anything they can they may be seen in a different light.
There are multiple groups scamming old and vulnerable people in our area constantly and rural properties are under permanent threat of the fuel oil tanks being emptied at night.

I don’t mind people who pull their weight but detest criminals and spongers who make gain by causing others distress.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
20 Travellers caravans setup camp in the local country park last Monday. :confused: Had a report from our dog walker not to let our dog swim in Scalford brook that runs through the park and joins with the River Eye, as the Travellers had been seen emptying their chemical toilets in to it ! :mad:

This coming on top of the Police confirming that a car used to transport the scumslime that broke in to my elderly parent's bungalow recently was shown heading for another known Traveller site the other side of the county, was not welcome news.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Living in a caravan doesn't actually make you a different race. Don't play the game. Crime is crime.
I grew up with travelling families on my street who lived in houses but at weekends meet up with other families in their caravans- all nice people.
So nice in fact that as we were a poor family, they would lend us a caravan for our holidays.
Many years later one of the lads I grew up with was caught burgaling my grandparents.
After I erm, had a word - so did his Dad!

Arcane

I had no idea calling them ’gypos’ was considered racism!

Isn’t it just a descriptive and honest term?

*sigh*

I give up trying to understand this newspeak…I long ago understood in my gut and heart that dictating to others what language they can and can’t use can only be the work of a Sith Lord soooo

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I don't use the term Gyppo as it is offensive to the real Romany Gypsies, who are as far away from the Diddycoy's as the Irish call them, as people who set fish traps are to anglers.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Living in a caravan doesn't actually make you a different race. Don't play the game. Crime is crime.
You're quite correct, they're not a different race although it's not unknown for them to pull the race card. But a great many of them are thieving scum who think nothing of illegally parking in a playing field or a car park for a few days before being evicted and leaving a mahoosive mess for the local council to clear up. One lot even manged to close Thwaites brewery after moving in and wrecking the place. No,we shouldn't tar them (travellers) all with the same brush but please be mindful that there's a core within that's nothing but trouble.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Never understood why they’re called travellers when that’s the last thing they want to do😂.
You never get one over on them though.
Garage across the road from me was the local vehicle retrieval place. He got a phone call one morning from the police telling him that a traveller had broken down in his pick up and needed towing away. The police told him “ Don’t let them drive off until they’ve paid you. Take them to the cash machine if you need to”
Anyway, he goes and gets them, tows them back to his garage, gets the motor going and tells them the cost.
”We ain’t got any money” they say.
”It’s alright, I’ll take you down to the cash point. I’ll keep your car until you’ve paid”
He takes them down to the cash point, gets weighed out and let’s them go.
Next morning he open up the garage to find he’d been broken into. Tools stolen, rims stolen and any bit of old scrap gone.
Wonder who did that?😂
They‘ll never get caught. The police are often too afraid to go into some of the camps.

Last edited:

Reuben

Site Supporter
I don't use the term Gyppo as it is offensive to the real Romany Gypsies, who are as far away from the Diddycoy's as the Irish call them, as people who set fish traps are to anglers.
I’m sure they have plenty of names for us people not of their lifestyle & they won’t give a toss if it’s offensive or not…

satinet

You're quite correct, they're not a different race although it's not unknown for them to pull the race card. But a great many of them are thieving scum who think nothing of illegally parking in a playing field or a car park for a few days before being evicted and leaving a mahoosive mess for the local council to clear up. One lot even manged to close Thwaites brewery after moving in and wrecking the place. No,we shouldn't tar them (travellers) all with the same brush but please be mindful that there's a core within that's nothing but trouble.
Unfortunately in these times common sense has no meaning. Being a traveller means you're a different ethnicity these days:

Best thing is not to go along with this nonsense.

davej1981

I known alot of travellers/gypsies whatever term you want to use. Some have been very decent people others not so. However many of them are a problem. One of the static sites near had a family done for slavery- they were recruiting vulnerable people and making them work excessive hours a day canvassing for work and treating them badly often locking them up at night and only giving them bread and water. While i was at college w group moved into the car park. They broke into cars and set the fire alarm off in the college then robbed as much as they could whilest the building was empty. Im still friendly with a few Irish travellers and they are actually nice people- unless of course you upset them!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've not seen them, meaning a load of caravans, since I was a kid, we got them a few times in the park but then they put barriers up. You do get Roma's begging for change at traffic lights in Birmingham though.

Arcane

Good and bad in all camps ….

Theft is theft whatever excuse you use to justify it; whether that is being ‘poor’ or claiming it is ‘for the greater good’…always the same thing in the end.

Whoever breaks the golden rule… ‘do no harm’ is basically gonna end up a line in a Johnny Cash song in the end anyway *shrug*

TrickyD

Site Supporter
We have 2 traveller sites a few miles from us, one private and one council next door to each other. They hate each other. Some from the private site come in one of the local pubs, never seem to cause much trouble, fighting amongst themselves is about as bad as it gets.