Local council

62tucker

Site Supporter
Good old local council have created a newish bus lane/cycle lane about 50 yards from start of Tyne bridge. Traffic chaos at peak times is the norm now and 1 reason I have stopped visiting Gateshead town centre.
Last week for some reason the chaos was worse. People reported stuck in Tesco underground car park for 2 hrs. ( great for environment and people’s health breathing in all them fumes) also frozen food having to being binned.
Now the council are having a investigation into why it happened.
Shut a road that carries 1000 of cars a hr so 10 people on a bike have a full sized lane ( that the car drivers paid for) could be the reason.
Also when 1000s of cars are in a gridlock situation around the town centre I would take a wild guess that the environment isn’t benefiting.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Happened in Horsham. Stupid thing was that virtually no cyclists used it. Now removed and road reverted back to the original free flowing dual carriageway.
Council ****s!

62tucker

Site Supporter
Happened in Horsham. Stupid thing was that virtually no cyclists used it. Now removed and road reverted back to the original free flowing dual carriageway.
Council ****s!
They say it’s a 2 year trial 🤣

nejohn

Site Supporter
There is a perfectly good cycle path on the millennium bridge if cyclists want to cross the Tyne safely, which surely given that it is a fully pedestrian bridge would be much better than negotiating the heavy traffic on the Tyne bridge

62tucker

Site Supporter
There is a perfectly good cycle path on the millennium bridge if cyclists want to cross the Tyne safely, which surely given that it is a fully pedestrian bridge would be much better than negotiating the heavy traffic on the Tyne bridge
I sure they have plans to make Tyne bridge 1 lane only.
All to help the environment 🙈

Robwooly

Council ****s!
Same in Harrow, they turned a dual carraigeway into one which was restored to it's original state before the cones were even removed after causing traffic jams. I did see two cyclists on it once though :LOL:

I think much of this stems from lockdown and knee jerk reactions from councils as a result of the fitness craze that happened when folk had nothing to do, plus the eternal concept of trying to gain the 'green' vote

nejohn

Site Supporter
It is the same down in Wales, the M4 is a 3/4 lane motorway apart from one short length where it passes Newport which is a fairly busy industrial area, this is because of a very narrow tunnel, at peak times traffic backs up for about 8 miles both ways and travels at walking pace if you are lucky. The Welsh government paid £120 million for a study which recommend a bypass being built, they ignored the results of the study saying a bypass would create more traffic and more pollution, so we are stuck with 8 miles worth of cars sat for 3 hours every day with their engines ticking over ....which I am sure is better for the environment than this imagined heavier traffic load

davylad

Site Supporter
The reason the councils up and down the country are doing this, is pure and simple, it's for the money they get from the government for doing so. It's been chaotic in Hull apparently, due to many two lane roads being turned into one, with an almost empty cycle lane. They obviously see this as way of getting more cash, and what's left over will go on other things. The leader of Hull City Council, hasn't got the bottle to admit it, and all he does is try to justify that it's the right thing to do, proving all the people that have to suffer having no alternative if they have to use the roads, wrong.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
It is the same down in Wales, the M4 is a 3/4 lane motorway apart from one short length where it passes Newport which is a fairly busy industrial area, this is because of a very narrow tunnel, at peak times traffic backs up for about 8 miles both ways and travels at walking pace if you are lucky. The Welsh government paid £120 million for a study which recommend a bypass being built, they ignored the results of the study saying a bypass would create more traffic and more pollution, so we are stuck with 8 miles worth of cars sat for 3 hours every day with their engines ticking over ....which I am sure is better for the environment than this imagined heavier traffic load
When I lived in South Wales (moved away in 2015) if I was travelling back from England and I knew it would be busy at the Brynglas tunnel I would leave the M4 at the Magor junction, take the A4810 past Llanwern steelworks and join the A48 ring road which would bring you out at junction 28. It may get busy by the Tredegar Park sports ground but you did save some time.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
' The Welsh government paid £120 million for a study which recommend a bypass being built, they ignored the results of the study'

How can anyone justify spending that much money on a study and then ignoring it,anyone with half a brain would see that a bypass was a neccessity but it's the £120 million that amazes me,once again it's the 'it's not my money' syndrome'.

nejohn

Site Supporter
' The Welsh government paid £120 million for a study which recommend a bypass being built, they ignored the results of the study'

How can anyone justify spending that much money on a study and then ignoring it,anyone with half a brain would see that a bypass was a neccessity but it's the £120 million that amazes me,once again it's the 'it's not my money' syndrome'.
I was mistaken....it was only £114 million for a study....the Welsh government waste so much money on things such as this and lots of vanity projects, then when there is no pennies left in the pot for essential services they blame the UK government for not giving Wales a fair deal....and there are lots of idiots believe them