Local Bristol Avon

Browner

The Avon is still high and coffee coloured. Pace has dropped slight. Had a couple of hours so fished the feeder with punch crumb and bread punch on the hook swapping to a straight lead with punched meat. Had one chub on the meat plus roach and gudgeon on the bread. A pleasant short session despite the rain. Felt lazy so took the car instead of walking. It’s a 3 minute walk going down the hill but a bit of a drag walking home back up the hill.

BBear

Site Supporter
Drove over the Avon at Newbridge yesterday for work. Still coloured but level is dropping. Hoping to fish lower down nearer Bristol/home later this week.

BBear

Site Supporter
Haven’t fished Newbridge for years but used to park in the lay-by on the other side of the bridge.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Haven’t fished Newbridge for years but used to park in the lay-by on the other side of the bridge.
If there was a match on parking was a nightmare. Sometimes you had some serious walks. Not fished it for years now , as I live a bit farther away , but I’m close to a bit of the upper Avon around Malmesbury.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tried that a few years ago for a pleasure session, it’s taking your life in your hands crossing the road there....... never used to seem so bad when I match fished it, I guess we never took so much kit then.

I believe on matches you can now park by the pumphouse, but I can’t be 100% certain.

BBear

Site Supporter
Yes, must be more than 25 years since I last fished there and I remember the bridge being narrow - traffic must be even worse now?

Browner

Only fished the lower Avon once, many years ago. Very steep banks if I remember. I fish the upper Avon around Wiltshire. Around Chippenham is great and within walking distance for me. Lovely flat platforms for safe, comfy fishing. Good range of depths from a foot or so to over 10ft. Most species too.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I tried that a few years ago for a pleasure session, it’s taking your life in your hands crossing the road there....... never used to seem so bad when I match fished it, I guess we never took so much kit then.

I believe on matches you can now park by the pumphouse, but I can’t be 100% certain.
Chris, crossing the road was always bad. I was considering having a go there in the summer but if you can’t park at the pump house I’ll probably go somewhere else on the river

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Yes, must be more than 25 years since I last fished there and I remember the bridge being narrow - traffic must be even worse now?
That’s right , but it’s mainly the pavement is very narrow, so if you had a trolly or boss box with wheels you were half out in the road.