Loaded or unloaded wagglers for commercials

Philnun87

Do people favour loaded or unloaded wagglers when fishing commercials (I am talking about traditional wagglers and pellet waggs)?

it’s really confusing as people like Andy Power, Paul Holland etc use unloaded and anglers like des shipp, Andy May etc use loaded :-s.

I know everyone will have different opinions but keen to hear people’s thoughts?
Cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Loaded 90% of the time, only really go unloaded if fishing very shallow for carp when you don’t want to hit them on the head with it diving. Prefer loaded for everything else as cast better and can use less shot in terms of smaller lockers and less shot down the line for fishing on the drop plus the instant cocking let’s you see early bites quicker.

Philnun87

Cheers Silverfish and Danny, I have tended to use loaded too, as unloaded seems a lot of faff to stop the shot damaging the line, just wasn’t sure why quite a few anglers veered towards unloaded

baggy

Mark Saunders
I don’t carry unloaded wagglers these days, it is just easier with loaded ones if you want to put a bigger or smaller float on you shouldn’t need to change any of the shotting

danny_glover09

Unloaded floats don't seem to dive down as much as loaded floats and you can also have a more varied shotting pattern. Some loaded floats can only take minimum shot before they sink.

danny_glover09

I like loaded aswell when fishing up to far banks or features. The hooklength doesn't tend to snag up as much due to have no shot on the line.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Both , loaded if it’s quite a long cast, or I need to make a splash,usually bigger waters boddington, Clattercote etc .....For smaller lakes or if fish are spooky, then unloaded, they go in with a lot more stealth, and a loaded waggler will spook them

Roger_feederer

Site Supporter
Im a desciple of Andy May on this matter. Loaded, overloaded even. (Swap the weights for heavier) The less shotting, specifically non-toxic shot, the better. Less fiddling and less chance of line damage.

Philnun87

Thanks a lot everyone!

I think I’m going to stick with loaded for traditional waggs and long check pellet waggs and switch to unloaded for short / mugging pellet wagg fishing (I was using the drennan loaded pellet waggs before as they were less obtrusive, but want to try some unloaded versions for the reason chefster mentioned that they go in better)

Team KDB

I don’t carry unloaded wagglers these days, it is just easier with loaded ones if you want to put a bigger or smaller float on you shouldn’t need to change any of the shotting
Same here change the float to the type of fishing on the day.

grey

Site Supporter
Loaded wagglers remove the need for as much shot on the line - that's neither a positive or negative, just a fact to be used either way.

Loaded wagglers admittedly cast better but even that's rarely a deciding factor for me.

I decide on a float heavy enough to cast to suit conditions, estimate the shot I need down the line to offer best presentation - if after that I find I will probably be needing additional shot to cock the float, I will look towards the loaded wags so I can shift some of the weight (unnecessary to the presentation) off the line and into the float.

Loaded or unloaded? To use one entirely in preference to the other just limits potential shotting options.