Living the dream ...... (and a confession)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
So, since becoming semi-retired some 18 months ago, an opportunity arose for me last year to do something that would fulfil a lifetime ambition of mine.
I have not mentioned this on here before as i did not want anyone to think that i was touting for business or any such other nefarious motives.However, it is now time to confess and nail my colours to the wall.
I took over a local fishery last autumn and have been working hard over the last few months to try and make a few improvements. I will not (at least for now) give out the name of said fishery for reasons stated above, but i am sure one or two on here will be familiar it.
There have been various threads on here on the subject of running your own fishery, and what people would do, stock etc. etc. Believe me it is a very steep learning curve and a full time job, albeit a very poorly paid one. I never went into it to get rich, and TBH if i get anywhere near breaking even in my first year it will be a miracle, but it has been a very rewarding endeavour so far.
I have my own vision of what a fishery should be like, and of course not everyone agrees with me, and many are very quick to tell me how things should be run according to their own preferences. It is a real juggling act trying to keep all the various anglers who use the place happy (carpers, match anglers, young and old etc, not to mention the habitual rule breakers), but on the whole most, especially the regulars, have been extremely supportive of what i am trying to achieve.
I did not go into this blindly, i am a pretty handy sort and have run my own business before. Aside from the endless list of jobs such as platform repairs, pruning overhead branches, removing bagfuls of feeders/floats and other tackle from said trees, the time for regular mowing of the footpaths etc will soon be on us. There are planning and environmental restrictions on what can and cannot be done at various times of the year, security, pest control and a host of other things to consider. On top of that i have been honing my rural craft skills trying to create new habitat for the wildlife.
Do i regret it? Not a bit of it. Would i have still taken it on if i Knew just what hard work it would be? you bet. I am living my dream, and if it keeps body and mind active, and maybe even helps to supplement my meagre pension (not that i can draw it for a few more years yet) with a bit of extra beer money then its all good. The feeling that comes from helping a youngster (or even adults) to catch their first fish, knowing that i am doing my little bit to create biodiversity and new habitat far outweigh any potential monetary reward. Plus i get to fish whenever i want for free!
Good luck 👍, fantastic 👏

tysontim

Site Supporter
Hope everything turns out well for you mate, good luck in your new Venture.

badgerale

I've always wanted to get rich... just so i could buy or dig my own lake. Never quite worked out though lol.

I think you've managed the next best thing.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
Good for you,hope it all goers well :upthumb:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It reminds me of an old joke shared several times ....

How do you make a £million, spend £2million buying a fishery :D

You'll not get rich quick from a monetary point of view but you will get rich in life from following your dream.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fair play to you, not something I'd fancy, unless I won the Euromillions and could have a match only venue that someone managed for me. I couldn't deal with all the numpties....

Hope it's a great success and you get much enjoyment from it.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
All the very best to you mate, keep us informed of how things are getting on👍

Foul hooked

Site Supporter
Thank you everyone for the messages of support and i will keep keep you posted as to how things are going.

It got too difficult finding a suitable venue Muskie. Now if we could find a central place with 1 or 2 lakes with between 20 and 45 pegs where we could set up camp and fish for 3 days...... ;);)
......And one or two similar. OK i can take the hint. As i said, hosting some sort of Drowners event (match or otherwise) is something that had crossed my mind so watch this space.
In the meantime if anyone is curious PM me and i will send you details of the venue and a link to the website (still under development) as despite what has been said by the mods, whilst i have been a member on here from way before, i am still a little reticent to name it publicly at this stage as i really do not want anyone to think that i am purely touting for business (hence why i have only now "confessed")

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Foul hooked I think I can say without any hesitation, no one would think your touting for trade. I for one would love to know where your little corner of heaven is, it's unlikely I'll be just dropping in from the south coast, but if there was a fish-in I could travel.