Liverpool lure fishing

toffeespinner

Hi folks,

Just getting into fishing for the first time really. Haven't the patience (or money!) for carp etc. But keen on using lures for pike etc. Have started to explore the Leeds/Liverpool Canal up around Lydiate for this.

But just wondering if there are any other good spots for fishing with a lure in Liverpool. Is it possible to do this in the park lakes - or is it useless or even frowned upon with all the patient carp anglers there?

Any other good spots in the city/area? I've got a very simple setup - just a 6ft rod and some spinners, shads etc. Trying to keep it really simple so I can get my lad into it too.

Be up for trying some simple float fishing too but I'm a bit nervous about this. I've never plummed for depth etc and the more knots are involved the more confused I get!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
There are Pike in most of the local park lakes Newsham is probably the most popular but the Leeds and Liverpool has plenty of smaller Pike with the occasional surprise.
You should learn to fish in the normal way with float fishing before advancing to more complicated styles like Pike fishing then it will not seem difficult.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
When I lived tother side of the hills I used to fish the LLC between Haskayne and New Lane. Lots of Pike from Jacks to some very good specimen. My biggest went 22 & 1/2 Lb from the North More Lane stretch. Took all my Pike on there with lures. Cast as close to the stickups as you can and bring the lure back with a slow jerky retrieve. Bites usually come within the first yard or two of the retrieve. If the Pride of Sefton comes through you may as well stop for an hour or two - bloody barge is way too big for that canal!