Little Things..............

Robwooly

Going back to the original contraption what sort of success percentage do you get out of it? I fish lots of really snaggy rivers yet never seen one used

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
As I say, we fish widely differing venues.
Definitely, I don’t fish snake lakes too often, the nearest commercial to me is a snake lake and due to it being close and a decent fishery, I do fish some matches on it, but much prefer open lakes, most open lakes see the fish back off towards the middle for winter. Although we haven’t actually had any winter temperatures yet, the fish still seem to behave if we have, maybe they use the length of the daylight, but how knows?

feldri

Site Supporter
Going back to the original contraption what sort of success percentage do you get out of it? I fish lots of really snaggy rivers yet never seen one used

Never lost a hooklength to weed since using it. I'd never seen anything like it before and I've been fishing for over 50 years, albeit only 35 years on the pole. Haven't tried using it with rod and line as might have difficulty in getting the ring to pass over a bottom fixed float, but it could work with a stick I suppose, as long as you've got enough braid attached.

Robwooly

Never lost a hooklength to weed since using it. I'd never seen anything like it before and I've been fishing for over 50 years, albeit only 35 years on the pole. Haven't tried using it with rod and line as might have difficulty in getting the ring to pass over a bottom fixed float, but it could work with a stick I suppose, as long as you've got enough braid attached.
Thanks mate yeah I never seen one either, looks like the sort of kit I'd like to try and also have a bit of fun making. Can see how it would work with weed with the weight of the ring pushing the weed off the hook. Bits of wood or rocks could be a different matter although with a bit of a jiggle maybe worth a try

feldri

Site Supporter
From what I've seen with fishing in the margins of the canal, the ring passes over the hook onto the weed, then when you pull, the ring breaks the weed and the hook comes back with a tiny bit of weed attached.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I have a hook fixed to the end of a long landing net handle. If I get caught up on the far side of a snake lake I pull back as far as I dare, reach out, and wind the hook round the elastic to pull.

If I am snagged on the bottom and can reach the line I slide it down as far as I can towards the hook , twist, and pull. More often than not I get the whole rig back. I always get the float back, provided I can reach down to below it.