Little Things..............

feldri

Site Supporter
..... to make life easier.
Quite a few years ago during summer, I booked myself a Friday off to give myself a long weekend of fishing.
On the Friday morning I went for a drive to my local cut with the intention of walking a couple of miles to see how it looked and to pick a spot for the Saturday.
About half a mile from where I left my car I came upon this old boy fishing the pole and decided to have a chat. Nice old boy and we had a good chat about what he had caught etc; Anyhow, to the point. His hook got caught on some weed on the bottom and no matter which way he pulled, it would not come loose. Reaching into his box he pulled out a small metal tin and handed it to me saying, "Take that out and unwind it for me please." I opened the tin and inside was a metal ring about 3" (75mm) in diameter with a long length of braid attached. I took the ring out of the tin and unravelled the braid and handed it to him. He passed the ring over the end of his topkit, put the loop at the other end of the braid over his middle finger and let the ring slide down the topkit and over his elastic into the water. As he lifted the topkit, the ring went over his float and down the line to the hook. One tug on the end of the braid and said hook came free and he just pulled the braid and ring back to him, rewound it and put it back in the tin.
I had never seen anything like it, and remembering all the times I had pulled for a break and lost the hooklength, I was amazed.
Needless to say, when I got home I searched my workshop for a metal ring and found one attached to an old brolly. 5 minutes later I had a new 'must have' piece of tackle which has come in handy many, many times since.
Anyone else seen or invented a gadget to make fishing easier??

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
As for things to make life easier. I have marked my box legs at the appropriate point so I get the height right first time. Same on the legs of my pole rollers.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think something similar was used on rivers involving a piece of wood, called an Otter I recall.
Thanks Neil I had seen these before but I could not remember the name. You have saved me a sleepless night 😀

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
As for things to make life easier. I have marked my box legs at the appropriate point so I get the height right first time. Same on the legs of my pole rollers.
How can you set your pole rollers to the exact same height, when you’re fishing different venues/pegs/terrain, impossible! And why would you keep altering the height of your box, apart from to level it ??🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I must admit, I don’t understand this post. My box legs are set for the correct height to footplate permanently, I then use the inner legs to level up. Rollers need to be set to the bank behind, that can vary from using the attachments that allow them to sit on the ground folded up, to maximum height, no two pegs are the same.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
No footplate. No inner legs. Old Rive box, not a modern fancy one.

Most of the venues I fish have flat banks behind so pole rollers get used at the same height most of the time. If not the marked positions are a starting point that may need adjusting. But then my pole rollers, like my box, are old school, not complicated, quite small and thus simple to set.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
No footplate. No inner legs. Old Rive box, not a modern fancy one.

Most of the venues I fish have flat banks behind so pole rollers get used at the same height most of the time. If not the marked positions are a starting point that may need adjusting. But then my pole rollers, like my box, are old school, not complicated, quite small and thus simple to set.

That sounds like luxury 😀. Many of the venues I fish have hugely varying lay outs, from some pegs with flat bank to steep banks and otter fencing you need to get a pole over.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Well surely your box would always be at the same height then ???🤷‍♂️And I fish nearly all commercials, and I can honestly say the bank is never dead flat behind me 😏

160642fishing

Site Supporter
..... to make life easier.
Quite a few years ago during summer, I booked myself a Friday off to give myself a long weekend of fishing.
On the Friday morning I went for a drive to my local cut with the intention of walking a couple of miles to see how it looked and to pick a spot for the Saturday.
About half a mile from where I left my car I came upon this old boy fishing the pole and decided to have a chat. Nice old boy and we had a good chat about what he had caught etc; Anyhow, to the point. His hook got caught on some weed on the bottom and no matter which way he pulled, it would not come loose. Reaching into his box he pulled out a small metal tin and handed it to me saying, "Take that out and unwind it for me please." I opened the tin and inside was a metal ring about 3" (75mm) in diameter with a long length of braid attached. I took the ring out of the tin and unravelled the braid and handed it to him. He passed the ring over the end of his topkit, put the loop at the other end of the braid over his middle finger and let the ring slide down the topkit and over his elastic into the water. As he lifted the topkit, the ring went over his float and down the line to the hook. One tug on the end of the braid and said hook came free and he just pulled the braid and ring back to him, rewound it and put it back in the tin.
I had never seen anything like it, and remembering all the times I had pulled for a break and lost the hooklength, I was amazed.
Needless to say, when I got home I searched my workshop for a metal ring and found one attached to an old brolly. 5 minutes later I had a new 'must have' piece of tackle which has come in handy many, many times since.
Anyone else seen or invented a gadget to make fishing easier??
If anyone fancies making one this is what I used tied to a crabbing line.
Bull Cow Nose Ring Copper Stainless Steel Puller With Lock Key Cattle Veterinary | eBay

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
That sounds like luxury 😀. Many of the venues I fish have hugely varying lay outs, from some pegs with flat bank to steep banks and otter fencing you need to get a pole over.
I think he lives in a different world to the rest of us - heavy solid elastic that never bumps fish, Non- blunting hooks, completely flat bottomed lakes, uniform pegs on every venue , the list goes on 😂🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think he lives in a different world to the rest of us - heavy solid elastic that never bumps fish, Non- blunting hooks, completely flat bottomed lakes, uniform pegs on every venue , the list goes on 😂🤷‍♂️
I wasn’t knocking Neil, I genuinely didn’t understand the way he could have such a common set up, but it’s fairly obvious he and myself fish very different types of fishery and his explanation cleared that up. I’m not revisiting the elastic debate, as it won’t be resolved, Neil is the only angler I have heard say he doesn’t lose fish with a solid 12, when many of us will be down to a 6 or 5 (or even softer of the toughest days) to ensure those soft mouthed small skimmers stay on. I just don’t know how he seems to manage what myself and every other match angler I know can’t do. But then again, I fish a lot of silvers matches in the winter, so I am specifically targeting them. If it works for him and he is happy with his set up, I’m not going to criticise, but I would advise others that I feel softer elastic is more likely to see fish on the bank.

stikflote

Site Supporter
I dont use light elastic i have nothing less than a 12 t 14
in my match kits,,any less and the fish scream across the lake ,and it takes far to long to land them

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
That sounds like luxury 😀. Many of the venes I fish have hugely varying lay outs, from some pegs with flat bank to steep banks and otter fencing you need to get a pole over.

My club snake lake has otter fencing. I just fish short :D

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I wasn’t knocking Neil, I genuinely didn’t understand the way he could have such a common set up, but it’s fairly obvious he and myself fish very different types of fishery and his explanation cleared that up. I’m not revisiting the elastic debate, as it won’t be resolved, Neil is the only angler I have heard say he doesn’t lose fish with a solid 12, when many of us will be down to a 6 or 5 (or even softer of the toughest days) to ensure those soft mouthed small skimmers stay on. I just don’t know how he seems to manage what myself and every other match angler I know can’t do. But then again, I fish a lot of silvers matches in the winter, so I am specifically targeting them. If it works for him and he is happy with his set up, I’m not going to criticise, but I would advise others that I feel softer elastic is more likely to see fish on the bank.

No offence taken. We have widely differing experiences and venues.

As for the elastics I can't explain it either. Last Thursday I had 20 skimmers and pulled out of 1. Counted five lost fish in all, two small roach and two foulhooked carp plus the skimmer.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I dont use light elastic i have nothing less than a 12 t 14
in my match kits,,any less and the fish scream across the lake ,and it takes far to long to land them
I’m talking about skimmer fishing, not carp. I still land carp in the winter on light elastics, they tend not to shoot off like they do with a heavier elastic, I am in the camp that the harder you pull, the more they pull back.