Little John Lakes - Friar Tuck

Whisker

Site Supporter
Last week was always going to be hard to beat.
Blue skies, sunshine, 25 degrees, a new PB of 159lb 7oz which brought a section win and £70 in a sanitised envelope marked "1st".
This week...
It was cold.
It was raining.
It was a bit breezy.
Right, that's the excuses out the way... :blahblah:

Sunday 7th June was the date, Little John Lakes was the venue and Friar Tucks was the lake. LITTLE JOHN LAKES
Rules here: RULES

Fishing was 9.45am - 3.45pm.

Having not seen the place before and not really knowing much about the place, I arrived with no expectations. There was a cafe and bait shop (fishery feed pellets only, £2.50 a bag. I asked for 2 bags but when I saw them, I could have managed with 1 - good sized bags!) :D

Pre match info I had gleaned was:
It's 4' down the track
The carp average 3lb but go up to 8lb and there were silvers to go at if times were hard. Having said that, carp would be needed to win.
Top 2 + 2 on the deck was the way to go.
Baits tipped to do the job were pellet, corn, maggot, paste. Not being a paste expert, I left that one out.

At the draw, t'was mentioned that peg 2 was a flyer and pegs 21, 22 and maybe even 23 would be in the frame.
Peg 21 was drawn for me and off I went quite happily (and blissfully unaware) to inspect my home for the day. "Hmm, great margins!" thinks I.

Whilst setting up, a nice chap called Terry "I never tell porkies" stopped by to offer some advice (one can only assume he's been furloughed from his usual Sunday job down at the local church). His advice was as follows...
"Don't go over the far side, start off on top 2 + 3 and try and draw them in to 2 + 2 then 2 + 1. Keep feeding the left and right margins and they'll come in. Once they come in, concentrate on the side that's catching and stop feeding the other as you'll split the fish." Now when it's usually cold, and wet, and windy, I try not to get every piece of kit out the bag... more to dry out when I get home! "Sound advice, thanks Vic" thinks I.

"Oh, and by the way, despite what I've just told you, you'll see me fishing the far side slapping shalla, but take notice 'cos that's what I do!". Confused...? :drink:
I digress. The temptation to go across was there, but as it was a tad windy I decided to keep it simple. I set up a 4' track rig, a 12" shallow rig and 2 margin rigs.
At the all in, I fed the margins and the 2+2 and fished the 2+2 to see what was about. The bloke on peg 20 started down the margin and had carp so I tried mine, to no avail. Back on the 2+2 and I found a few welcome stockies and skimmers. Peg 20 was doing well, steaming ahead in fact, but I was happy to stick to the plan and feel my way in (I'm not competetive enough to be a match angler really, I'm happy to work things out in my own time).
There were some decent sized carp caught, stockies, skimmers, bream, roach, chub and barbel (one barbel of 4lb was caught).

I managed a decent run to get a few carp and then the middle 2 hours of the match I couldn't buy a bite. I did consider the tip rod but then thought "that's something else to dry out when I get back". Then, I noticed there were swirls in the left hand margin.. hurrah! A productive last hour.
I weighed in 51lb 7oz, Peg 20 weighed 114lb something and I think 144lb from the vicar might have won it. There were some ton weights, not sure exactly how it panned out tbh as I made my getaway for the hours drive back home and to pack the case for another week away.
Could I have got more? Yes, undoubtedly; but when the weathers rubbish, I do lack motivation (my main aim is to keep warm and sod the fish lol).

Hopefully, this may help anyone thinking of paying a visit, especially as I couldn't find much out about the place.
Nice venue and a good day out, recommend it if you're thinking of giving it a go (y)

Whisker

Site Supporter
Thanks Gaz. Plenty of room for improvement. Half my problem is I’ve got the wrong mentality for match fishing. I’m rarely competitive, but on my good days, I do try sometimes lol Hope you’re on the up and up, take it easy fella ?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thanks Gaz. Plenty of room for improvement. Half my problem is I’ve got the wrong mentality for match fishing. I’m rarely competitive, but on my good days, I do try sometimes lol Hope you’re on the up and up, take it easy fella ?
I’m going to Toft tomorrow with badH?

Whisker

Site Supporter
Not fished there either, one for the 'to do' list. Good luck, let us know how you get on (y)

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Well done mate. especially as you haven't fished it before. (y)

Whisker

Site Supporter
Thanks Kev. As always, it takes time to work it out but that's what we love about fishing...