Little boxes, Tubs and Tins

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
just had a bit of Snap ( shared with a small black dog ! )

Brown wholemeal Toast with flaked peppered mackeral smothered on it and a big thick old crust layered over with Strawberry jam and finished off a box of Shortcake bikkies dunked in my tea

But I digress, it was the Tin the shorties came in that evoked a memory, its a nice tin, about 300mm long by 200mm wide and around 40mm in depth, all tartanny and scottish looking

now when I first started out fishing, back in the late 60's early 70's I woulda fought my brothers for that tin, in fact I did, and had all my floats, such as they were stashed in it, quills, corks, a couple of proper shop bought floats, some strange red, yellow and white plastic things that were meant to shine in the dark (never found out if they worked)

the rest of my gear, feeders, leads, hooks shot etc were kept in "tupperware" look alike boxes that I bought at jumble sales or cigar boxes that I either found up the city dump or were given to me, and all kept in the wooden box-seat that I had spent a few saturday afternoons making up in the carpenters shop up to the Hospital where my old Dad worked, (the joiners taught me rudimentary skills, I made them untold tea and swept up and cleaned the workshop in fair exchange)

Ive often thought to myself when I finish off a tub of margerine or Ice cream, What can I use that box for, far too many end up in the recycling bin these days,, Ive got a lot filled with various bits and bobs, screws, pins, nails etc, but I always seem to be chucking em away

strange how times change aint it

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
We keep most tins, containers, for the vary reason you do Mick. The only trouble is after a bit they all look the same and you forget what’s in them.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
We have 2 Mackintosh Quality street tins, one with shoe polish and brushes and the other with sewing needles and various kinds of cotton. One of the tins is a 50th anniversary edition and looking online, it was probably made in 1986. I don't know how old the other is but they both do the job intended. I also have quite a few golden virginia tins with allen keys, small HSS driils and taps. I'm like you Mick, I hate to waste things and try to put them to good use if I can. At least we have separate bins for the rubbish these days so it may get recycled.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
My bits and pieces are in a little plastic box with three trays that I bought in B&Q a few years ago. Scissors, disgorgers and forceps are in a long tupperware type box. The rest just rattles about in my big tupperware type box. I'm not a match fisher so I don't need a four wheeled monstrosity to house it.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I used to nip into Tesco and ask them for the plastic tubs camera film came in.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I regularly raid the cupboard for tupperware boxes or margarine tubs that I require for some purpose or other.
I borrowed this one a couple of years ago as it's just the right size for my longer winders holding various river pole rigs, a few stick floats, smaller pellet wagglers and sliders.

float box.jpg
IMG_8578.JPG

There's a couple of old Quality Street tins in the shed with odds and ends in them and I'm sure there's a big flat rectangular tin that once held shortbread in there too, although I'm not sure what's actually inside it.
It's just a shame that the plastic tubs they use nowadays for chocolates and sweets are not as big - if they made them square or rectangular I'd never need to raid the kitchen cupboards again.

Simon

jimmcd

I'm pretty organised when it comes to tackle, it's all kept in plastic tackle boxes. Now tools, I can never get enough of the Golden Virginia tobacco tins. I also use the tins from M&S extra strong mints but they are a bit smaller than the baccy ones

Silver fan 82

I always find a use for used plastic tubs. I have whip rigs made up on winders in the clip top style tupperware tubs. These are also great for storing pellets in and glugging boilies in.

rudd

Site Supporter
@chefster you having convulsions reading this 😂

I have old wash kit bags to store feeders in, another favourite are the chewing gum tubs - great for soaking/glugging bait in, drennan flake punches and head's all nicely stored in a bicycle puncture repair kit box.

baggy

Mark Saunders
@chefster you having convulsions reading this 😂

I have old wash kit bags to store feeders in, another favourite are the chewing gum tubs - great for soaking/glugging bait in, drennan flake punches and head's all nicely stored in a bicycle puncture repair kit box.
If he is, he’s not the only one 😖

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Me too, the only time in years gone by would have been a gallon ice tub for carrying large quantities of maggots
I take my maggots in a bait bucket in summer for matches, usually a gallon, and just scoop them out into an Eva bait tub during the match, I don’t think I’ve ever used a ice cream tub 😂😂😂

baggy

Mark Saunders
I take my maggots in a bait bucket in summer for matches, usually a gallon, and just scoop them out into an Eva bait tub during the match, I don’t think I’ve ever used a ice cream tub 😂😂😂
I’m going back to the early 90s, every angler who fished bolingey took their bait in at least one if not two