little bites

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was fishing a place in wrightington called heskin hall and i was fishing on cat meat. i had 2 probs. Cat meat always fell off even on hair rig and the float kept bobbing up and down. I had to wait ages for a confident bite or try strikin when it bobbed down which i was rarely successful at. give us some advise on these 2 probs plz

jon

What beats FISHING, ....... er NOTHING

ray

jon, were you fishing a waggler, most cat meat will not stand up to being cast out however there are some (e-mail me if ya wanna know) if you are on the waggler try just lowering it into the margin.
what size hook were you on, try a 12.
try using a smaller piece or pellet of catmeat.
what/how were you feeding, how were you hooking your meat, were you fishing at dead depth, give us some more info mate.

if you take it with you...take it home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

scouse

'River Man'
hi jon
i have fished old heskin loads of times
what lake were you fishing and as ray said
more infoe required

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

norm

you may also find that its little fish sucking away happily at your cat meaticon_smile_tongue.gif
WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

Ray, i was fishing just of the bottom with the catmeat. I tried hair rigging the meat and side hooking it. I didnt have to cast it was just a simple swing of the arm. Because i werent fishing too far out.

Scouse, i fished pond 1 pond 3 was a match on it and pond 2 was packed. (The circle lake). Pond 1 is the one with the conefeurs dead high in the air. I had a nice tench out, about 3lb and a 4lb carp and loads of lil stuff to a 1lb

What beats FISHING, ....... er NOTHING

jonnie130

I have fished cat food quite a lot recently and on my first couple of trips i struggled. The cat meat wouldn't stay on the hook, i was getting unhittable bites and small fish were constantly attacking the bait wearing it down. Over my next few trips i have perfected my approach to fishing cat food. Here's a few tips that i hope will help you.
1. Try coshida cat food that is available from Lidl supermarkets. This is very tough, stays on the hook well and stops small fish from nibbling away at it.
2. Size 10 Kamasan B611's (barbless) are the perfect hook. They are strong enough not to straighten out even under immense pressure. The shape of the hook holds the cat meat well and rarely falls off. You do not have to hair rig it.
3. Invest in a long bristled float such as a Dick Clegg paste float. Even though you are fishing a rod you can still use pole floats for the margins
4. Do not over complicate the rig. One large shot or an olivette is all you need to shot the float. This also avoids weakneses in your rig.
5. Only shot the float down to the base of the bristle. Then plumb up carefully so that your hook is about 1 inch off bottom. The cat meat will dot the bristle halfway down and sit exactly on bottom. This makes bites more positive
6. When the floatgoes under wait a second. The float may rise back up again due to the bite being from a small fish or from a liner. This helps to prevent foul hooking fish.

Hope these tips will be of use to you.

Good luck!

j.taylor

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Coshida is fine, BUT only buy the tins marked "CHUNKS"

'Salmon & Tuna with vegetables' is one, 'With Poultry another'!

Ordinary Coshida has only 4% of chunks.

The Kamasan intermediate B711 hooks are even better, because they are bronze coloured instead of silver, which blends better with the meat colour AND do not reflect on sunny days when fishing shallow!
Use size 11.
Otherwise, great advice John!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Enough! I'm off!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 29 August 2002 01:05:11 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.