Little B******s

BBear

Site Supporter
No trouble at all to be honest. We don't have a Maccy D's, or anything else like that round here. I live right on the edge of rural mate, half a mile to open countryside. Besides, sausage and egg?, get out of it. There's only 1 thing that goes with egg in a sarny...Bacon. Sorry, 2 things..bacon and brown sauce. :LOL:
Sorry but you’re wrong there - it has to be egg and sausage in a sandwich, or bacon on it’s own 👌

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Apologies if I have missed something but I can't see anywhere that their behaviour had an impact on the OP.
He was peed because of their environmental contempt but we see that every day of our lives.
Yes it's not right but let's get a reality check here.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
People have been injured through idiots throwing bottles, then there's the impact it causes on the river/lake/canal etc. I doubt very much any angler would like to turn up for a peaceful days fishing only to find bottles or other rubbish floating past and have their day spoilt by anti-social behaviour. It leads to less footfall on the bank and loss of income for the fishery. Think of the knock-on effect.

Paul.P

Tell you what this is, another case of no discipline in our younger society & all this PC rubbish, were never gonna learn that if there's no consequence for there actions they will just keep doing it. If you did that when i was young & my father found out, i would of had a good hiding & whatever you say it taught you a lesson. It maybe the old fashioned way but we had respect for the police, teachers & older folk !

stephenk

Site Supporter
Considering we are still in lockdown I cant believe the amount of antisocial behaviour going on - packs of feral youths, drinking in groups, racing round in cars.

Police dont gave resources, but more importantly parents dont give a f*ck.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
UKz - he was sharing the river with paddle boarders and I think that would have affected the fishing a little bit more than a Corona bottle floating past.😂

As for floating debris you can't be fishing rivers much as that's an every day occurance and during our extended flood season you will see things you would never consider would find its way in.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I'm with Danny here, and I think you made the right decision. Retaliating against 10 people when you have absolutely nobody to back you is never a good idea, and if you were going to retaliate you'd need to be confrontational and intimidating to throw them off by putting them on the spot in the moment and that means coming face to face with them hoping they'd shut down.

Firing stones and abusing them from the other side of the bank isnt very intimidating and quite frankly makes you look ridiculous. Sounds like a great way to get your ass beat and worst case scenario, your gear thrown in the river along with it.

I had a situation a month or so ago where I had a group of 8-10 16-18 year old kids hurl abuse at me as I biked past, claiming my bike was stolen. Like an idiot I stopped, turnt around and approached them with a bit of aggression asking what the deal was and they all shut down and didnt say a word until of course, I biked off again. I find this is the case a lot of the time, these kids generally find strength and intimidation in numbers but as I biked off I instantaneously realised that it was a pretty stupid move, on the off chance it would have escalated, there would be no way in hell I'd have left the situation with the upper hand. At the end of the day, it's not worth it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The best if any course of action would be to discreetly film them on your phone and post the video to local social media groups to identify them.
As previously posted, it would take a very hard man to defeat a group of 16year olds without coming off worse.
The minute you use excessive force or any form of weaponry you are in the wrong, and unless you don't leave any witnesses you're the one that's going to end up in bother with the law.

CarpCatcher86

You fire boilies or stones at them then they come round and stab you or the next thing you know is a bottle of Corona has just hit you ok the head. Not great advice. Some people are very brave behind a keyboard. Best scenario is leaving them to it if there not effecting you. It's not worth a kick in or being stabbed and some of the firms pumping all sorts of rubbish into the rivers do more harm than them but you don't start firing boilies at there CEO.
Not just behind a keyboard mate. I have encountered groups of young lads before when fishing, giving it the bigun because they are in a group while you are alone. They all prove themselves to be nothing but fannies and s**t themselves as soon as you stand up and step towards them.

Joe C

Site Supporter
Everyone raises good points, a few things I should make a bit clearer. There was a bridge 100 metres away, if I pulled them up on it, they could’ve easily have crossed over to where I was.
I’m a big bloke and boxed for a number of years at amateur level, so I know how to defend myself.
They weren’t directly aiming anything at me or where I was fishing, I could’ve easily moved and ignored it but it was time to pack up in the next hour anyway to get home for the rugby.

In an ideal world you’d be able to say something to them and they would take notice and apologise.

The reality though is you would ask them politely they’d take the pee out of you, then you get nasty and either.........

A) They get scared Shout something and run off.
B) It gets even nastier and ends up physical. In this situation, let’s say you belt one of them and the rest get scared, if they have come to you then you could argue self defence, but it still results in a drawn out stressful process with the law.
Or you belt one and then get right kicking from a group of lads or worse.

There are several other scenarios that could happen, but I think B) is the most likely.

my dad was a doorman when I was growing up and has drilled situational awareness into me.

Standing your ground in this situation simply isn’t worth the risk. Move on, call the police (who will likely not do much) and live to enjoy another day on the bank.

Joe C

Site Supporter
The best if any course of action would be to discreetly film them on your phone and post the video to local social media groups to identify them.
As previously posted, it would take a very hard man to defeat a group of 16year olds without coming off worse.
The minute you use excessive force or any form of weaponry you are in the wrong, and unless you don't leave any witnesses you're the one that's going to end up in bother with the law.
100% agree with this Dave

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
You did the right thing Joe. A large group could give anyone a kicking....worse still, a lot of kids carry blades these days. Doesn't matter how big or hard you are.
I was mates with an ex-Olympic heavyweight boxer , who ran pubs in London..He was as hard as nails, but it didn’t stop him losing his eye, when he tackled a gang 🤷‍♂️

Fred Davis

the last thing we should be doing is antagonising these poor souls, it is not there fault, they have been brought up in a deprived area with, no social clubs or free sports facilities to use there parents show no interest and discipline is no longer allowed so they have been raised in a society where you can do as you please, and there general attitude is "i ain't bovered"

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Here is the thing though Fred - nobody knows if that is the case at all and there are plenty of wrongs un's from good family backgrounds as well.
We have just got it into our heads that all the bad apples must be from deprived areas.
My nephew goes to an independent school and some of his "friends" need a good kicking.

Fred Davis

No without doubt Lee there are good un's and wrong un's, however does anyone really need a good kickin? after all a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still, I tend to think that by the time these lads have reached there teenage year it's too late, you only have to see the amount of thugs at football matches who end up getting arrested for violent conduct many in there 30's 40's and 50's who just should through the experience of life should know better, society is a mix of good and bad unfortunately some of the bad don't even know what having a conscience is and there in lies the problem.