Litter

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveagriff

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but not to fishing. Restarted again this year after a bit of a lay off. Normally I'm a bit of a lurker on forums but I feel I must give vent to my spleen. I have been fishing the Severn a bit recently and am appalled at the ammount of litter I find at the pegs. Every time I go I bring home a bag full of other peoples's rubbish. It is plainly anglers who are leaving it, meat tins, hook packets, groundbait bags etc, and often they have taken the trouble to tie it in a bag but then throw it in the bushes showing it to be a deliberate act.
At one swim at Quatford (BAA) on Sunday, I removed two bags of rubbish and the remains of a broken fishing umbrella. Two days later I fished the same swim and had to shift another bagful.
What is it with people, why must they mess up everywhere they go?
Please, if you carry it in, carry it out, and please take special care with unwanted line. Also take anything others may have dropped and maybe the lovely places we fish will remain so.
Rant over.
Cheers,

Dave

perchlover

I don't see any need to leave litter. I t is pure laziness. I always take an empty carrier bag for rubbish and either throw it in the nearest bin or dispose of it when I get home. It isn't difficult. Just gives everyone fishing a bad name.

Sir_fishalot

I have noticed this since returning to the UK in December. I think there are two reasons. 1) There seems to be a lack of any rubbish bins these days. They have all been converted to dog mess bins. 2) Fishing baits all seem to come in bags and containers. The days of having a pint of maggots in your reusable bait container have been replaced with boillie and pellet bags.
Unfortunately I have also noticed the amazing amount of rats that seem to populate the banks. I had two fighting in my tackle box the other day. I am getting a bit paranoid of wills disease and even considered wearing gloves in one of the lakes I fish.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Look around you, we are a nation of litter louts.

Travel abroad and apart from Spain other nations seem to have the grown up attitude towards not dropping litter.

So its not an angling thing, rather an immature national psyche.

jonesr

Dave,
I totally agree with you.All the rubbish left on the bank has been put there by "Anglers?" Thhey take it and believe it or not,It's lighter to carry home!!!
As regards to the rat problem.Without the rubbish,they wouldn't be as bad a problem.
My Rant over[:W]

dstev

Dave
What makes me laugh is that everybody moans about the little that is left, but someone is obviously leaving it.(and alot more than one at that!) It just amazes me how anybody could just walk away, without making the tiny little bit of effort to "PICK IT UP" and "TAKE IT HOME". Anyone would think they are being asked to litter pick the whole lake. Shocking.

bluemack

Site Supporter
this is a subject i could go on about forever, firstly sir fishalots comment regarding bins,it would not make a scrap of difference,people(not all) would,nt bother using them, people by nature are dirty and nothing anyone does will change them.I have resigned myself to just carry on cleaning up after these animals whenever i go fishing,we should,nt have to, but unfortunately thats the way it is.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Originally posted by daveagriff

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but not to fishing. Restarted again this year after a bit of a lay off. Normally I'm a bit of a lurker on forums but I feel I must give vent to my spleen. I have been fishing the Severn a bit recently and am appalled at the ammount of litter I find at the pegs. Every time I go I bring home a bag full of other peoples's rubbish. It is plainly anglers who are leaving it, meat tins, hook packets, groundbait bags etc, and often they have taken the trouble to tie it in a bag but then throw it in the bushes showing it to be a deliberate act.
At one swim at Quatford (BAA) on Sunday, I removed two bags of rubbish and the remains of a broken fishing umbrella. Two days later I fished the same swim and had to shift another bagful.
Please, if you carry it in, carry it out, and please take special care with unwanted line. Also take anything others may have dropped and maybe the lovely places we fish will remain so.
Rant over.
Cheers,

Dave
how did you do at quatford mate?

DavyP

Peanut
I have to agree with bluemack regarding bins, a local lake that i help out on had a litter problem so i put in a bin that people have to virtually walk past to get back to the car park yet there are still people that will leave litter in their swims and have also had anglers (i use the term loosely) dump their litter in the car park.

daveagriff

Hi Bluemack,
Sunday I did ok. 8 barbel to 5lb 7oz but last night struggled. Only 2 to 5lb 1oz.
I've only got back into fishing this year. Any tips on where to catch bigger barbel on the middle severn. I'd like to break my PB from years ago of 8lb 7oz.

Dave

Smiffy2

I've just joined a local club and a few weeks ago went to "recce" one of their better waters, a local lake with some decent sized Carp and a good head of reasonable Tench.
As it was a nice evening I took the Missus up for a stroll (she hadn't had a night out in ages).
I can't believe the amount of rubbish that had been left on the banks, and bear in mind that it is well off the beaten track and a members only water....
Luckily we had a bag with us and picked up a load of it, but there must have been 2 or 3 empty 1 ltr pop bottles, numerous beer cans and loads of discarded line/hooks.
[:C][:C][:C]

lee gary shaw

I too fish the severn and time and time again find meat tins, empty packets of pellets etc etc. I take them home with me too as i can't stand the mess peole make. My mates have called me a mug for doing it but who will. The issue of bins etc is not the problem. I have fished at woodlands lakes in thirsk where they have 3 or 4 bins dotted near every lake, but when the vegetation dies back in the winter it's disgusting to see how many anglers have gone to more effort to throw it in the bushes than to place them in the bins. They should be banned from the fisheries if they get caught.

shinkicker

When i was a kid i slashed my foot open on a discarded meat tin at bridgnorth, makes me laugh how many people bag there litter up then dump the full bag by the car, go to brook section on the severn and have a look at the baa car park there.
If you sit at hampton loade beer cans keep floating past thrown in by nobheads camping further upstream, but you find broken nets, bait buckets, rod bags, flasks etc etc.
People seem to think as long as they dont have to carry it back it just vanishes into thin air once they have gone.
As someone said go abroad then look how much litter is in this country when you get back, i had 6 months in canada got a coach back from the airport and after being in a clean country it is astounding how much rubbish litters this country.
Trouble is you will never stop these thick tossers from discarding all and sundry around the countryside. But they are a discrace and if caught should be banned for life

Captainswoop

I went to Dromonby for the first time on Monday, I cleared a full tin of Luncheon Meat, it had been opened and dumped in the waters edge, 3 empty pellet and groundbait bags, a supermarket sandwich wrapper and a box from a brand new reel from the swim I was going to use. There is a wheely bin for rubbish about 10 yards away.

stevelk

Originally posted by daveagriff

Hi all,
Rant over.
Cheers,

Dave

imho its because people in the uk are selfish, and dont give a flying @@@@ for other people, the term to much money in the wrong hands springs to mind.

maggot dangler

used line is my pet hate. nearly tripped into the lake the other week due to some getting trapped round my feet whilst setting up, i always tie my line in a ball and put it in a bag to cut up and bin when i get home, this is a bit time consuming but worth it as i dont want any wildlife wrapped in it. anyone know of an easier way?

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Look around you, we are a nation of litter louts.

Travel abroad and apart from Spain other nations seem to have the grown up attitude towards not dropping litter.

So its not an angling thing, rather an immature national psyche.

This is, I'm afraid, so true. I walk my dog out in the countryside, down a Bridleway, just up from where we park the car is part of the old road that was there before the by-pass was built. On monday we arrived there to find that over the weekend some brave stalwarts had cleared the area and had collect two of those very large Hippo bags of assorted rubbish, beer cans bottle etc, along with an assortment of undergrowth. The prize piece of litter though went to.... and believe it or not it was a BLOODY BATH!!! [:0][:0]

YES! somebody had gone to the trouble of loading a bath on/into a vehicle and then driving out into the countryside to this location and then took the trouble and physical exertion to move it from the back of the vehicle and into the undergrowth at the back of the small parking area.[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]
Now for the same effort they could have taken it to the local recycling centre and it would have been gone! for good!

So why dump it there??? Anybody know the answer, cus I'm buggered if I do, and that goes for all the other stuff I frequently see dumped on the side of the road.[V][V][:(!][:(!]

Captainswoop

General rubbish can be found by the roadside on any country lane. People will drive out intothe country to dump their bin bags rather than go to the local free tip.
Some of the dumping is illegal 'fly tipping' of industrial and commercial waste. A lot is from builders avoiding the tipping charges or they have reached their license limits. In a wood near us someone dumped 3000 old car tyres last year.

shinkicker

I walked past a place this evening where someone has dumped half a dozen tyres and bags of used car oil containers lol once its in the car drive to the bloody tip I wish someone would load a lorry up drive to these peoples houses and dump the lot in their garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.