litter bugs (idiots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ada

brummie
as a regular contest and pleasure angler I have never seen the banks of our fisheries so litter ridden,I fished a commercial carp fishery last week and was dismayed to find 3 meat and corn tins next to a bin {not full} because some lazy sod {polite term} found it to much effort to take the lid off,this same idiot had probably held 14 metres of carbon for 5 hours!! we all must take care to pick up litter even some one elses becaue the anti angling nutters will have a field day slaughtering us.the owners of fisheries should be stricter on the idiots with a total ban country wide on metal tins.I dont take tins of meat or corn on fisheries prefering to open them on a morning of a contest.

Polepot

Poles
Ada,

A point well made. My friend and I walked a fishery today, it was to b....y cold to fish. Here is a list of litter we picked up.

3 Plastick bottles
2 Glass Bottles
several bags
several drink cartons

We should all be vigilant and stop this happening. I fish to relax and do not find plastic bags being blown around relaxing.

icon_smile_angry.gificon_smile_angry.gificon_smile_angry.gif

Polepot

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ada,

It seems to be a problem in general with people too willing to dispose of their rubbish with scant regard for others.
I was following a car the other day when out of the driver's window came a plastic pop bottle, a paper bag and a drink carton - what happened to taking it home?
All anglers should be aware that other organisations are constantly looking for excuses to have a go at the angling fraternity and they don't distinguish between coarse, pleasure, match, specimen, day ticket or season ticket anglers, the RSPCA, PETRA, RSPCB have all had a pop at us. Click Here to see a report that we did some time back along with the sort of publicity that the 'antis' use against us.

One of the problems with considerate fishery owners who provide bins for rubbish is that they inadvertantly encourage people to bring it with them. On occasions the bins don't get emptied or the wind and not to mention vermin, spreads it around and so on.

I suppose there are several ways of dealing with it - as you say, empty the tins before you go, ban anglers from weighing in if they leave any rubbish in their peg, encourage others to take theirs home with them, etc , and keep campaigning for clean banks in the hope that it finally sinks in to the minds of the mindless minority.

Anymore for anymore icon_smile.gif, Dave

AlexR

the number of times i walk round my local commercial and get a massive load of line round my foot, pull it all in and its something like 15lb, often about 10 meters of it and with a blo*dy great hook on the end as well, not to mention beer cans etc.

;)

Polepot

Poles
When I agreed with the earlier posting I forgot to make a very important point.

Yes I agree, no litter should be left icon_smile.gif

but there is an obligation in my mind that fisheries should have litter bins on site. Whilst the lack of them is no excuse I would feel more justified when talking to a litter bug icon_smile_evil.gif If I could say that could have gone in the bin.

Please ask any fishery you visit that does not have bins to correct this issue and phaps that will go part way to solving the problem.

When I was a child litter was a problem on a major scale but we became educated and things improved.

Please dont say we've gone full circle.

Poles

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
I fished the Trent today.
Nearly every time I reeled in, I pulled in a plastic bag of some description!
The weed and leaves at this time of year are unusual, but the plastic and paper in there, just upstream from Newark is unreal!

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

MALC

I'll start by saying that i hate rubbish on the bankside or in the water.

I personaly never take tins to the bankside although i've always got spare unopened tins in the car.
And agree that no tins should ever be taken on the bank but this is where the problems start.

Example:
At one fishery i go to they have a rule that states
NO SWEETCORN/LUNCHEON MEAT TINS ON THE BANK and they stick to it which is great BUT if you walk around the lake everywhere you look you can see DRINK CANS and BOTTLES (glass & plastic) along with general fishing rubbish.

Surley a tin is a tin be it Coke or Corn that was in it ?

When ever i go fishing or just to look at a water i always seem to come away with at least 1 bag full of other peoples rubbish.

I used to run a lot of matches in the past and prior to the match i used to bank walk and pick up every bit of rubbish from all the pegs to be used and i implemented 1 rule that seemed to cause most problems and that was that any person found with rubbish in their peg when it came to the weighin would not be weighed in and would also receive a ban from any further matches that i ran be they club or open matches.
In the course of four seasons i actualy banned 3 anglers for this reason and was threatend several times but in the end people learned that the rule was there to stay and i still enforce the rule in any matches that i run.

Bins at fisheries don't work unless they are emptied at least once a day because as Dave has said they attract rats and other vermin which tend to spread the rubbish around also some of the mindless idiots that get attracted to the commercials seem to enjoy tipping full bins over.

The only real way to stop litter is for everybody to take it away with them in the first place but for every 1 of us that does take our litter home there appears to be 2 more that don't.

Malc ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you think about it there is a good reason for all the litter thats left.

Think about it G'wan.....
think a bit harder....

Well i'll tell you then

By the time the "anglers!!!" (loosly termed" have carried all that wieght IE beer cans/bottles, meat tins, corn tins, boilie sacks/bags etc to the swim then sat there for a few hours they're to knackered to carry away the rubbish so the figure they'll "just leave it here out the way" or "if i fill it with water n drop it in the margins no one will mind" now try multiplying that buy about 300 people & what do you get????????

One big pile of s**t, just like the idiots who leave it.

Oh i DO take tins on the bank (not beer cos i don't believe in drinking on the bank) but they always go home with me.

Alan
You've just been moderated

Status
Not open for further replies.