Liquid Molasis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hey all, I have recently bought a 5 litre container of liquid molasis, any ideas on the best way to use it

where there is one bream there are many more

(Just moving it to Fishing Talk icon_smile.gif - Dave)

Edited by - Dave on 12 June 2002 01:23:11 AM

norm

i also just got some

i use it for adding to bread crumb as a binder for the ground bait feeder and fish attractor

i have also tried dipping bait in it first and seems to be quite successful

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try asking Newt

He's a bit of an expert on this stuff (ships it across the pond in leaking baby bottles) icon_smile_wink.gif

private Joke but Newt will understand LOL

Alan
Datafile.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Learnt this at PAD yesterday.
Bream
Take 2 pints Sow farrow pig pellets (pellets for preggy pigs contain lactylose and animal food suppliers at 4 per 20 kilo)
pour on 1/2 cup Liquid Molasses 4.50 per 5litre) bought it yesterday
pour on = 2 pints boiling water and mix thoroghly,m cools looking like d--s--t!
Add brown crumb 50% with fish meal to reqd consistency for cage feeder.
Method mix as above, but less crumb/fish + bran for flakes and dessicated coconut for explosive!
Bream, corn or worm etc. bait
Carp sweet boilies
tutti frutti/raspberry, strawberry, mulberry
whatever no-one else on lol

Cya
Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Or you can brush a load on a tree trunk & when the bear comes to lick it off shoot the bugger in the head icon_smile_big.gif

Alan
Datafile.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
BTW Ray, thanks for phone call much appreciated

icon_smile.gif

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
WEll - I like it on hot biscuits (which are called something else over there) and on pancakes/hotcakes. But that may be just me since even the dog won't taste a bit if I drop it on the floor and he will eat darned near anything. And the wife calls it sludge when I have it with eggs & biscuits for breakfast.icon_smile_big.gif

It is nice and sweet with an unusual flavor and quite sticky so I'd say add to whatever (especially ground bait) and adjust quantities until your mix is just right to call in the fish.

Some have even had luck with lures that sat in the stuff a while.

And Trogg - I think you have some really rough mail handlers over there as I'm sure the stuff wasn't leaking when it left. Maybe.

But Ray - why on earth did you get 5L of the stuff without knowing when/where/if you were going to use it?

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 12 June 2002 04:22:13 AM

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Tks for the help,

Newt the reason i bought it was

1. it is cheap at around 4 for the container
2. try and experiment with the various groundbait mixes
3. seemed a good idea at the time
4. and i just found out i can eat it lolo (dont fancy that bit)

Anyway tks for the advice and only 4 more day to go before the sesason starts

tight lines

Ray

where there is one bream there are many more

scouse

'River Man'
hi ray
just got back from ireland
and a local told me this for good tench fishing
put brown crumb in a bowl add liquid molasis and liquidise
sweetcorn mix together do not add water
try it, it might work you never know

dave
scouse

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Well - if you won't try eating it (may be a taste you have to acquire but I love the stuff if it is normal [/w sulfur] rather than the rubbish that has the sulfur and most of the good flavor removed) then how about these ideas.

A good groundbait for carp is made from cracked field corn (maize) and molasses.

Drop Doughballs
1 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. flour
2 T. (Tablespoonfull) sweetener (honey, molasses, corn syrup)
1 T. cornstarch
Enough water to make dough
Mix ingredients and form into balls smaller than used for bait. Drop into boiling water. Cook 15-20 minutes. Drain.

Wheat Bran Balls
1 c. flour
2 cups wheat bran
2 T. sweetener (honey, molasses, corn syrup)
Enough water for stiff dough
Mix ingredients and knead. Form into small balls. Cook in boiling water 15-20 minutes. Drain, cool.

Potato Balls
2 large potatoes (peeled & grated)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. cornmeal
2 T. sweetener (honey, molasses, corn syrup)
Enough water to make stiff dough
Mix ingredients. Roll into balls. Drop into boiling water. Cook until they float.

1 pint of milk
1/2 pound limburger cheese, melted
2 tablespoons of molasses
oatmeal
Preparation:

Melt cheese and add in milk and molasses
Add oatmeal until the right consistency in order for ball to stay on hook. Give the oatmeal proper absorption time before adding too much

10 ounces Semolina
2 ounces Soya flour
4 ounces Liver (liquidized)
1 tablespoon Garlic powder (not salt)
3 tablespoon molasses
4-6 large Eggs
Your own flavor,color or enhancer
Preparation:

Liquidize the liver in an electric blender.
Gently fold in the eggs, garlic powder and molasses. You can add coloring, flavoring or enhancers at this point if required.
Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the liver mixture a little at a time until you have a stiff paste.
Add more egg or semolina to get the right consistency. Roll the mix into balls and boil for 2-6 minutes.
Lay the baits out on old towels or paper and dry for a least 6 hrs.

Newt Vail

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hi newt,

I decided to bite the bullet and try a spoonful of the stuff well i am sure my fillings are comming out i dare not say what it tasted like on here just in case but everyone to their own. My wife is a cook so i will get here to knock up some of the receipts you posted and take them to the Welsh fishin so the boys can give their view

keep smiling

tight lines

Ray

Where there is one Bream there are many more

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Ray - as I said, molasses may be a taste you have to acquire early on.

In the rural US South, it is a common sweetner but mostly because it can be made so easily and so cheaply. Sorgum cane (similar to sugar cane) loves the warm wet weather down there and is easy to grow. Crush it and do a little work with the resulting juice and you have sorgum molasses (which is the stuff we are dealing with).

I've been using it since I was a little fella. My wife, on the other hand, is from a different part of the country where it wasn't known as a "people food" and she won't touch it. ROF

In case you are going to try each of the items I listed, I probably need to clarify the "oatmeal" that is an essential part of the one with cheese.

Not sure what you folks call it but also known as rolled oats and is common as a high grade feed for horses. Also as a breakfast cereal over here but not sure if it is over there or not. I think not. They somehow treat the grain (oats) to remove husk and such then present an end product that is flat and round. Pieces are maybe 3-4mm in diameter.

Newt Vail

norm

newt ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i have just got some off martin when we were at semer

it has a pic of a horse or something on

i may look like a horse but i am not going to eat horse food icon_smile_wink.gif
it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Newt

At a rough guess i would say you're describing what we call bran flakes/ all bran (made by Kellogs) & tasty they are to icon_smile_big.gif

I know of another food thats an aquired tatse as well & thats this stuff called "grits" had a lovely fella send me some n i "bit the bullet" & mixed some up to try & seriously wished i hadn't icon_smile.gif

Alan
Datafile.gif

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:
Trogg - nope on the bran flakes. We got those as well and they are good eating but nothing like rolled oats.

For one thing, the oats are fairly soft and not toasted. They are made by taking groats and flattening them (if you have groats??)

Here are a couple of pictures of them.

Datafile.jpg Datafile.jpg

Newt Vail

Newt Vail

Larry

Lazarus
Newt,
Hope you got no smell that Limberger cheese sure is some Evil Smelling Cheese ,We went to a German food festival year's ago &i tried some cheese from this stall which i liked but wanted something stronger.We got Limberger any how when got home late went to bed got up the next morning the smell was horrendus ,didn't think of cheese at 1st the wife thought something had gone off,any how couldn't find anything till she un done the cheese to make sandwiche's for work.we didn't eat it hung on garden line till found what to do with it.

Cheer's Larry

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
ROF - Larry, remember you are talking here to a man who thinks molasses is a good sweetner (ask Ray about that) and who enjoys grits.

I think limburger is a great cheese. Does have an interesting taste and smell but good stuff.

When I was a youngun a couple of us closed the school for a couple of days in mid-winter by sneaking into the boiler room and putting about a pound of the stuff where it would be heated nicely and the smell was picked up by the air circulation system.

Luckily the never did figure out who had done the deed. icon_smile_big.gif

Newt Vail

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
tut tut Newt

& there was me thinking you were a good boy as well icon_smile_wink.gif (i did the same thing with a kipper, but only cos i'd never heard of limburger cheese)

I've seen the stuff in the pics before but for the life of me i can't remember what it was called icon_smile_sad.gif

I think it could have been special K or something similar.

I still say the Bear idea is the best though icon_smile_big.gif

Alan
Datafile.gif

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trogg - I'll mail you a few and you can see if you can ID them.

Newt Vail

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ok Newt

I just hope they don't clog up my modem LOL

Alan
Datafile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.