Lines....Waggler and Feeder

• Thread starter Deleted member 24128
  • Start date

parkes

Like yourself I use Sensor for it all. 4lb + 6lb for wag and pellet wag. 6lb + 8lb for feeder fishing.
You technically answered your own question as you said it has never let you down yet! I have tried a few others but end up with what I know, why change.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
shimano Technium invisitec - for wag

Shimano Technium - for feeder

Braid meets mono with a triple core

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Like Richard I don’t do carp.

Daiwa tournament ST 8lb for chub & barbel feeder fishing

Mainly Bayer 2.6 (0.16) for river floatfishing, although I do also carry 2.1 (0.14 diameter) for more delicate fishing. I prefer line up top most of the time, even on the waggler.
I’ve purchased some DH pro match to try out in 0.16.

Btw - I’m pretty sure that maxima 3lb b.s. will be underrated on both diameter and breaking strain!! ie. it’ll be thicker and stronger

Mister M

Account Locked
I can’t remember buying anything other than Maxima and Silstar match for hook lengths.

rudd

Site Supporter
Hi guys!

I'm sorry if this has been talked about ad nauseam but I'm curious where everyone is now.

It's simple really. What lines are you using for your waggler and feeder fishing and why?

Every time I buy a new reel I start asking myself questions about this. Since I took up fishing again I have not really tried many mainlines and really only use Daiwa Sensor. I tried the Hyper Sensor but honestly, I thought that was rubbish. It didn't seem to like being used more than 3 times and it stretched like an elastic band. It just seemed fragile and I lost confidence in it quite quickly. The standard Sensors are much better and I can't think of a single time where that has let me down but can't help thinking they are quite thick and maybe I should try something "more modern".

I'm particularly interested in what line you use, why you use it and in what diameter and lbs for:

Standard waggler fishing (canals and commercials)
Pellet waggler
General method feeder stuff.

Also, what line do you then use for your hook lengths? I have found reliability in Preston Reflo thanks to a recommendation from someone here but I'm just curious what works for you with the mainlines you pair them with.
I use sensor for most mainline situations. Its the same as modern lines - just not pre stretched.
If you want thinner line buy a breaking strain below the one you use.
Hooklenght: drennan double strength, drennan team england rig line or drennan / esp flurocarbon.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Can you remember when Hi Tech lines first started making an appearance (probably late 80'/early 90's)? I brought some 3lb hi tech and it looked more like 1.1lb bayer. When I got home and tried to load a reel it snapped as I was tightening a knot, checking it with a spring balance it was breaking at (I can't remember the exact figure) less than 1lb. I took it back to the shop and showed the lad, he just shrugged and said it was because it was pre-stretched. I had the devil of a job convincing him, that pre-stretched or not, it should not break at less than the stated BS. He eventually swapped it for a spool of Maxima. Thankfully the lines are much better nowadays.

rudd

Site Supporter
Can you remember when Hi Tech lines first started making an appearance (probably late 80'/early 90's)? I brought some 3lb hi tech and it looked more like 1.1lb bayer. When I got home and tried to load a reel it snapped as I was tightening a knot, checking it with a spring balance it was breaking at (I can't remember the exact figure) less than 1lb. I took it back to the shop and showed the lad, he just shrugged and said it was because it was pre-stretched. I had the devil of a job convincing him, that pre-stretched or not, it should not break at less than the stated BS. He eventually swapped it for a spool of Maxima. Thankfully the lines are much better nowadays.
Yes - drennan double strength was one of the first and still going strong (pun intended).

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Yes - drennan double strength was one of the first and still going strong (pun intended).
Pre Maxima I always used Platil Strong, fabulous line but they discontinued it:cry:

solwood

Site Supporter
2lb and 3lb waggler gardener hydroflo
4lb Sensor
5lb hyper sensor but in thickness these two are reversed

Stickfloat use Drennan float fish

Feeder
6lb Sensor
8lb Sensor
10lb Sensor
12lb esp synchro xt
14lb pro Clear

I Prefer proper bulk spools, hydroflo is a great line but 5lb hyper sensor is same diameter as 4lb hydro flow and 4lb sensor is same diameter as 5lb hydroflo

I have never got on with maxima even 30 years ago as I found it wirey back then i preferred Berkley trilene