Lines....Waggler and Feeder

• Thread starter Deleted member 24128
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24128

Hi guys!

I'm sorry if this has been talked about ad nauseam but I'm curious where everyone is now.

It's simple really. What lines are you using for your waggler and feeder fishing and why?

Every time I buy a new reel I start asking myself questions about this. Since I took up fishing again I have not really tried many mainlines and really only use Daiwa Sensor. I tried the Hyper Sensor but honestly, I thought that was rubbish. It didn't seem to like being used more than 3 times and it stretched like an elastic band. It just seemed fragile and I lost confidence in it quite quickly. The standard Sensors are much better and I can't think of a single time where that has let me down but can't help thinking they are quite thick and maybe I should try something "more modern".

I'm particularly interested in what line you use, why you use it and in what diameter and lbs for:

Standard waggler fishing (canals and commercials)
Pellet waggler
General method feeder stuff.

Also, what line do you then use for your hook lengths? I have found reliability in Preston Reflo thanks to a recommendation from someone here but I'm just curious what works for you with the mainlines you pair them with.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Mostly maxima for float and feeder. 3lb (0.15) or 4lb (0.17) for float and 6lb (0.22) for feeder. Just good reliable line that's been around for years (probably been improved over time tbf) because it does its job well and is very reliable in not letting you down.

Whisker

Site Supporter
4lb Maxima for float/pellet wag, 6lb Daiwa Sensor for feeder.

feldri

Site Supporter
Another vote for Maxima Chameleon, and Middy Lo-Viz Flourocrystal for hooklengths.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Middy Lo-Viz for hook lengths, but for feeder/float and pole rigs I use these in different diameters. Tough as old boots and very good knot strength...

100_1665.JPG

Rig Line.JPG

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter

nejohn

Site Supporter
Maxima for me too though I have been using some guru drag line and Shimano aspire on some reels with some decent results....but been using Maxima for years and never had an issue with it so no real reason to change

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Maxima 3lb for float fishing.

Senser 4lb and 6lb for feeder fishing.

I have tried others but keep going back to these two.

D

Deleted member 24128

Alright alright, I see a running theme here so I bought some Maxima for my new reel. It's been a hell of a long time since I used it and I thought I would give Guru N-Guage a go for my hook lengths seeing as my favoured Preston Reflo Power is mostly out of stock. (rant moded engaged) It's the one thing that irks me about online shopping for fishing tackle. I almost never can get all of what I want in one place which makes those minimum spends for free shipping frustrating. I understand why they keep stocks low and I totally get it when it comes to expensive items like rods and reels. Makes little sense to have all your capital tied up in expensive stocks that may not sell but when it comes to things like hooks, line etc there really isn't any excuse and really only serves to send people elsewhere. I have lost count of the number of times a retailer like Angling Direct has missed out on a £50 order from me simply because they didn't have the damned hooks I wanted (rant mode disengaged)

Anyway, please keep them coming. I'm still interested in what people are using and why and I promise not to hold it against any of you if I hate Maxima and N-Gauge. Not that you would or should care if I did. Also, what lines do you hate and why? Feel free to tell me why Maxima is garbage and that you use unicorn hair from the Unobtainium Tackle Company.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I know what you mean. I knew matchman supplies did spare reel spools but they only did maxima in small spools then bobco did big spools of maxima but no spare reel spools so didn’t order anything. Well will have to eventually order eventually but put me off doing it atm as didn’t want to use two couriers unnecessarily.

aseadabite

Another one for Daiwa Sensor. Tried loads over the years but switching back and forth achieves nothing so I've found. I use 2lb bayer for stick floats but paying loads for these fancy makes, definately not.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Daiwa Sensor for feeder on commercials or rivers (braid on natural stillwaters) and the same stuff for most waggler fishing with Bayer Perlon in the lighter breaking strains for almost everything else.

Personally I wouldn't use Maxima if it were free - stretches too much for a start and sinks too deep when fishing the float.

Simon

PS Unicorn Hair is over-rated :p

Arch

Site Supporter
Float fishing in an upstream wind - Drennan float fish or Bayer.
Waggler fishing in a downstream wind - Maxima.
Feeder fishing - Maxima or braid.

I did try Sensor on my Barbel set up, but found it spins up badly. I don't cast far so that and playing fish on the clutch probably didn't help.