Line Twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleasurefisher

I've recently purchased a Shimano Sahara GTE 3000M.

Whilst fishing for tench and bream I've landed a couple of Carp at approx 15lbs. On each occasion, and with different reel lines, I've had to strip 30 mtrs from the spool because of line twist being so severe as to spring off the spool like spaghetti, preventing casting.

Obviously the carp have been fighting against the drag and taken loads of line on the first run and I have taken 15 to 20 minutes to land the fish as I have been using light tackle.

I thought the Shimano reel would reduce line twist and I bought it for the drag system to allow me to cope with the bigger bonus fish. Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks in anticipation.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Several things come to mind. First how are you loading the line? It maybe that this is putting the twist in the line. Try putting the spool in a bucket of water then run the line thru a towel as you wind the line on.
Secondly when ever I use new line for the first time I tie on a big leger and cast as far as possible and if possible walk backwards then rewind the line.
Third are you winding as the clutch gives line as this will impart line twist.
Fourth and most drastic it is the bail arm roller that causes the twist so apply super glue to it. The down side to this is that the roller will need replacing very often.
A further move would be to step up on line strength and get the fish landed quicker. To me if your taking that long to land a fish then you are putting the fish at risk, as it will be totally exhausted and may not recover.

chill out go fishing

Edited by - esox.20 on 08 August 2002 11:50:09 AM

chris63

Get a Gardener Spin Doctor, attach it to your line, and cast out and retrieve a few times. This should get rid of any line twist.

Chris

Catch ya soon

Beebs

I've got a Sahara 3000 gte & re and get the same thing on both, and my 2 5000 baitrunners, while we're at it.
Esox hit the nail when he said about winding line on the reel the same way in comes off the spool.
Reccently read something about going into a field and tying the end off the line to a tree or fence post and walking back as far as you can. Then walk towards the tree keeping the line taut and winding in at the same time.
Also saw something about putting the line on wet, so that it shrinks onto the spool as it dries.
Haven't tried any of these yet, but when it comes to changing my mono next, I'll try putting it on the reel correctly when its wet. If I tried tying it to a tree and walking any distance near where I live, I'd get run over within minutes.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Beebs re putting wet line on the reel thats why I said put thr spool in a bucket of water. Putting wet line on actually allows it to bed in properly. If you put it on dry and then fish with it you will notice the level of the line has sunk on the spool.

I wouldnt attach it to a tree and then wind up to it. Better to Tie it first walk away from it paying out the line, walk back to the begining. Attach the line to the spool then wind in, doing it this way combs the line as it passes thru the grass etc.

Hope this helps my experience with shimanos is only with the original triton bait runners and have never had a problem with them.

chill out go fishing

nodding dog

mr.pleasurefisher,
another simple way is to push a screwdriver or something through the hole in the spool clamp it to a table or bench. then wet your fingers and reel on the line at a steady speed under slight tension making sure the line comes off clockwise, i've never had any trouble doing it this way mate. good luck and no more birds nest's !!

k.woolrich

pleasurefisher

Thanks to everyone, I now realise my problem is trying to reel in at the same time the drag is giving line.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

dbarri

The problem with drags and baitrunners is that the line comes of differently to how it was put on. The only way to eliminate this entirely is to backwind (which is the exact reverse of winding in), but can appraciate that this is not practical. There are advocates of putting new line on by having it peel of the edge of the line spool. Admittedly, this might mean that the line goes on the spool untwisted, but when you cast, twist is put back into it. I find the best way is to load new line in a way that lets the spool revolve. OK, the line is twisted as it goes onto the reel spool, but as you cast, it untwists, which is when it matters!

It amazes me that companies continue to use oversize bale rollers almost universally. Even Daiwa's twistbuster does not eliminate the problem. Why haven't any firms considered dispensing with the roller altogether? Silicon carbide could be used instead on the area of the bale arm that the line runs over. Twist? What twist?

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
If you read some of the descriptions of reels then all though over sized rollers were fitted . It was found that the problem of line twist was worse. This was due apparently to the line being able to move over a comparatively wide area. The twist buster type have a deeper narrower groove which is supposed to prevent or cut down on line twist.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.