Line Technology is Thinner Better

Maverick

Site Supporter
With the advancement in technology lines are becoming a much smaller diameter to breaking strain than we have previously been used to.

For years I used 8lb Daiwa Sensor for method feeder fishing, think it was 0.26 diameter and it was like a tow rope and would never break.

Now we see main lines of 0.20 - 0.22 with an 8lb breaking strain quoted.

Are these lines really as strong and reliable as the old Daiwa Sensor or are the figures quoted just sales hype?

Changing to a thinner diameter line obviously as many benefits if the figures quoted can be believed.

Are any of you using these thinner lines for method/bomb fishing and what are your thoughts?

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
If you are talking about the reel\main line, generally, thinner means it's been 'pre-stretched'. It has less give if you are playing a bigger fish, but would give more positive bite if fishing at distance.

Personally, I think fish are only interested in the hook length.

trotter2

I am not sure to be honest. From my understanding lines can be only made thinner by pre stretching. Which in turn removes elasticity which is not so much a problem on a pole which is buffered by elastic. If you take the consept too far when using a rod you can break off if you don't add some compensation.

Maverick

Site Supporter
If you are talking about the reel\main line, generally, thinner means it's been 'pre-stretched'. It has less give if you are playing a bigger fish, but would give more positive bite if fishing at distance.

Personally, I think fish are only interested in the hook length.

Yes but thinner lines give better casting distance and less problems in a crosswind. Other facts maybe worth considering.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Thinner might be better in many respects, but it depends on what that thinness comes at the expense of. However, using the likes of Sensor and Maxima as benchmarks can be misleading. Both are significantly underrated in either diameter, breaking strain, or both. It's all part of the game where manufacturers know that people will be impressed by an x lb line that doesn't break as easily as an alternative x lb line. The truth is often that the less easily broken line is actually x+y lb breaking strain rather than what's stated on the label.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
There is also the abrasion resistance aspect... a thicker line will withstand it, whereas a hi tech thinner line is less able to cope... I use Daiwa Hyper-Sensor a lot and I seem to have found a happy medium between diameter and abrasion resistance... but then my waters are fairly snag free... if you are fishing an underwater parrot cage, then summat more substantial may be needed

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Have not tried any hi tech reel lines to comment but even with my hooklengths I am going back to thicker lines in some situations.

Total

Site Supporter
@Maverick ......Hello mate, hope you're well...(y)

I appreciate this reply is not answering your original question(s) and our previous communications had seemed to sort out your main line concerns/questions?:unsure:......Had you considered a slightly different casting action when crosswinds become a problem?....IE a 'punch cast' of a lower trajectory to achieve the distances you require....This may of course require fishing with slightly heavier end tackle but in most cases will sort it out....(y)

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
i have moved away from the likes of Guru pulse back to Daiwa sensor for feeder fishing, especially when even minor snags can be a problem.
Saved me a load in feeders so far.

Still using the guru for pellet waggler fishing tho

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Guru Dragline is great for feeder work, I also use it with my vintage stuff on a couple of my pins.... great line (S'not Orange though?)

richox12

They're not new though are they. They've been around for over 30 years. They just seem normal to me.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Have not tried any hi tech reel lines to comment but even with my hooklengths I am going back to thicker lines in some situations.
Don’t be using pre - stretched for your Barbel fishing mate will ya ?.

I’ve shown you how to suck eggs haven’t I ? ???

Maverick

Site Supporter
@Maverick ......Hello mate, hope you're well...(y)

I appreciate this reply is not answering your original question(s) and our previous communications had seemed to sort out your main line concerns/questions?:unsure:......Had you considered a slightly different casting action when crosswinds become a problem?....IE a 'punch cast' of a lower trajectory to achieve the distances you require....This may of course require fishing with slightly heavier end tackle but in most cases will sort it out....(y)

Thank you Mark, you chucky bugger. Haven't actually got any casting problems since following your expert advice during my early years of fishing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The lines have been on my reels for years now and I was thinking maybe I should stop being a tight arse and replace it. Was just wondering what folk thought of the thinner lines. If there was a huge reply in favour of them then I would have considered giving them a try.

I have however noticed in a few videos where top anglers are constantly mentioning them that they have actually moved up to 10lb line. They say ther's no point in messing about with these big fish.

The sceptical bugger that I am thinks you've stepped up to 10lb because its the same diameter as the older 8lb lines you were using. Anything lower than 10lb and your worried you might snap off.
Still guess its free if you promote it. :)

Total

Site Supporter
Thank you Mark, you chucky bugger. Haven't actually got any casting problems since following your expert advice during my early years of fishing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The lines have been on my reels for years now and I was thinking maybe I should stop being a tight arse and replace it. Was just wondering what folk thought of the thinner lines. If there was a huge reply in favour of them then I would have considered giving them a try.

I have however noticed in a few videos where top anglers are constantly mentioning them that they have actually moved up to 10lb line. They say ther's no point in messing about with these big fish.

The sceptical bugger that I am thinks you've stepped up to 10lb because its the same diameter as the older 8lb lines you were using. Anything lower than 10lb and your worried you might snap off.
Still guess its free if you promote it. :)

^^ Smiling here. :)....

I wasn't actually suggesting you had a problem with your casting mate and is was a pleasure helping you with those problems when you first did....

The existing mainline I suggested to you sorted out those problems (or so I was led to believe) will probably need replacing knowing how often you fish, so yes replace with what you had. Yes, stop being a tight arse and replace them! Thinner mainlines create their own set of problems etc....Modifying a cast as I suggested in my other post on occasions when there is an awkward side wind would overcome the problem without resorting to thinner mainlines.;)

Don't believe everything you see/hear on videos etc......Most of it is nonsense, and certainly a case especially with mainlines of, 're inventing the wheel';)

Be well mate. Regards to all please....(y)

Fred Davis

daiwa sensor is a budget line, not saying it's no good, for it's price it's great, lots of anglers love it, but the truth is you get what you pay for budget lines tend to to be thicker and made to sell to the masses.

Maverick

Site Supporter
^^ Smiling here. :)....

I wasn't actually suggesting you had a problem with your casting mate and is was a pleasure helping you with those problems when you first did....

The existing mainline I suggested to you sorted out those problems (or so I was led to believe) will probably need replacing knowing how often you fish, so yes replace with what you had. Yes, stop being a tight arse and replace them! Thinner mainlines create their own set of problems etc....Modifying a cast as I suggested in my other post on occasions when there is an awkward side wind would overcome the problem without resorting to thinner mainlines.;)

Don't believe everything you see/hear on videos etc......Most of it is nonsense, and certainly a case especially with mainlines of, 're inventing the wheel';)

Be well mate. Regards to all please....(y)

Regards passed on. Please do the same to your family mate.

Spent years perfecting my casting tecnique.
You see the right arm acts like a hinge and the power comes with pulling the butt of the rod down into your chest with the left hand.

You need to swing the rod in a pendulum motion then smoothly bring it behind you and looking at the spot where you want to cast to you launch the feeder in that direction, and it lands 4 foot to the right. o_O

Being a good judge of measurements, I now aim four foot to the left and get it to land exactly where I want it everytime. Easy. (y)

Total

Site Supporter
Regards passed on. Please do the same to your family mate.

Spent years perfecting my casting tecnique.
You see the right arm acts like a hinge and the power comes with pulling the butt of the rod down into your chest with the left hand.

You need to swing the rod in a pendulum motion then smoothly bring it behind you and looking at the spot where you want to cast to you launch the feeder in that direction, and it lands 4 foot to the right. o_O

Being a good judge of measurements, I now aim four foot to the left and get it to land exactly where I want it everytime. Easy. (y)

See, your 'Steve Ringer' did work! ;)(y)....Be well mate.....

solwood

Site Supporter
I have not found much difference in true breaking strain for lines of same diameter

Generally daiwa sensor/maxima etc all are massively underrated in breaking strain

The "thinner" lines are more accurate !

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don’t be using pre - stretched for your Barbel fishing mate will ya ?.

I’ve shown you how to suck eggs haven’t I ? ???

Not really, I'm still getting used to Barbel fishing, but I'm amazed by the thick diameter of Korum Barbel line. 0.28mm at 8lb!