Line strength

Dusty

I’ve been watching a lot of videos about match fishing after taking it up this year, one thing I have noticed is the strength of line used for the majority of rigs.

I’ve seen a lot of people will use 0.19 to 0.17 when fishing open water for small carp and then use something like 0.21 to 0.19 for margins.

Most of the venues I fish the fish average around 4-5lb, with the exception of one venue which is full of munters.

I tie all my open water rigs with 0.17 to 0.15 for the summer months and my margin rigs 0.19 to 0.17.
So far these rigs have stood up to the test buy after seeing what the YouTube stars do I’m starting to doubt myself.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
i fish very light compared to a majority, 0.18 mainline to 0.14 (both silstar match) even in the summer fishing for lumps in the margin, land more than i lose and regularly land fish to 15lb on this setup

Paul22

I’ve been watching a lot of videos about match fishing after taking it up this year, one thing I have noticed is the strength of line used for the majority of rigs.

I’ve seen a lot of people will use 0.19 to 0.17 when fishing open water for small carp and then use something like 0.21 to 0.19 for margins.

Most of the venues I fish the fish average around 4-5lb, with the exception of one venue which is full of munters.

I tie all my open water rigs with 0.17 to 0.15 for the summer months and my margin rigs 0.19 to 0.17.
So far these rigs have stood up to the test buy after seeing what the YouTube stars do I’m starting to doubt myself.
Your thinking seems ok to me pal.
You should land most of your fish on this gear...... don’t get worried about carp seeing the line if you get them feeding ok the will snaffle any bait on a hook ( almost) ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Time wasted in getting fish in the net from being hooked is the biggest difference between winners and losers on equal pegs.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It is Ken but that justification can also be the potential reason why we see damaged fish.
It's a very fine line isn't it and with the ££££££ signs and glory in mind it doesn't take much to contemplate giving it more force than you should.
And I have

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Well that is how commercial fishery matches have developed, how do you think you can catch 200.300,400lb in 5 hours other than dragging them in purely a fish race, a team of fish filleters from Grimsby would clean up :p
I agree though not for me on a regular basis now and again perhaps for a change from more enjoyable fishing.
Some fisheries have elastic limits or hook size limits or other limits on silly rigs or floating pole but the fact is that a match angler will find the quickest way of putting weight in the net every time....Method feeder on the pole in the margin for example...super efficient rarely miss a bite and its a silly rig on the deck.
Fisheries have to cater for the demands of their customers and once they stop then the customers drift off to other venues so many are overstocked muddy puddles waiting to be plundered others like the Glebe as an example are much better in every respect.

Witches valley

Account Locked
I fish lighter than the OP, seldom do I ever use elastics stronger than NG black Ambercore, it rare I use over .17 reflow power.

I've caught 200lb in 5 hours before, only once but I have. Technique and practice, the lesser skilled yanking of fish out on heavy kit can cause damage, particularly to young softer mouthed fish.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Don't doubt yourself. If what you are doing is working then keep doing it your way.

I use 0.17 mainline for most rigs. Reason being that this allows me to use hooklengths of 0.13 to 0.17. The 0.13 is for smaller hooks and to me it seems sensible to balance smaller hooks with lighter line.

I can still recall the day I really "got" commercial fishing for carp. I was still making the transition from silvers and was using basically too light a line and too light an elastic. Five fish broke me so I made up a new rig with some, to me, tow rope 0.17. Result was seven fish landed and a win. That night I went home and re-tied all my carp rigs on 0.17 and replaced my elastics with 18/20. I have lightened up a little on the elastics but have never retreated on the mainline. Result is that I am now confident of landing every fish I hook.

Basic rule of thumb is that if you are getting broken then go heavier, not enough bites try lighter. Somewhere you will find your happy medium.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have to dispute the "winch them in" misconception of match anglers. Most match anglers are today using much lighter elastics than they did five or ten years ago. It isn't about yanking fish in and ripping hooks out. Its about playing fish efficiently and the same with unhooking. Techniques and abilities I rarely see in pure pleasure anglers.

For the vast majority 200lb weights are the stuff of dreams. I have had one.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I rarely use more than white hydro in open water but with a puller kit its still easy to drag fish in, match anglers use light elastic often when fishing up in the water because it causes less swim disturbance and reduces bumping fish but I get regular requests from pleasure anglers to put 20s elastic in a puller kit as they don't grasp the concept that the puller just extends the range of the elastic.
Any angler can damage fish at any time by being a bit rough with them... a well known local angler is on a fishery ban for "throwing" a fish into one of his four nets when he was bagging instead of carefully placing it in the water....I doubt he will return to the venue when the ban expires.
I really think that people have to face up to the fact that in commercial match fishing the fish are a commodity that needs to be collected at as fast a pace as possible within certain boundaries and rules.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
In any event or activity where speed is an essential part then as Ken said the boundaries will be pushed to the limit.
It's living in denial a little to say that it doesn't happen in match fishing and lets be honest to many who participate the appearance of the fish and the fight it's puts up is after a while just secondary to it's weight.Most fish go into the net with a glance.
When you have over gunned margin poles named Yank N Bank and using hook and hold tactics then it must tell you something
As I said - I have done it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I tend to fish light at the moment because I'm worried about my old pole that has two repairs on it going. I fished a commercial where there's a significant head of 20lb+ fish (Sion Farm) with 0.14 hooklength. Won't be doing that again in a hurry. Not until I get a new pole. Then I'd probably step up on most venues anyway as it's all about getting the fish in.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Neil is correct. Landing fish quickly, especially on pole, is a matter of technique, not brute strength. How can you 'drag' a 15 lb carp in on 6 lb line? Especially when the maximum hook size is a 12, as it is on most commercials.

I've watched Jon Whincup hook a fish shallow at 14 metres, bring it in to a top two, hold the top two between his knees while catapulting out more pellets, and then simply picking up the top two and netting the fish, because no pressure was being applied.

Most pleasure (and a lot of club anglers) seem to think it's a matter of just pulling back - nothing could be further from the truth. You need a very sensitive touch to play fish in quickly before they are worn out. Bullying carp doesn't win matches; landing them quickly wins matches. I can't do it consistently.

Witches valley

Account Locked
Absolutely spot on @Neil ofthe nene @G0zzer2

The graphics and sensationalist names on equipment are just extended sales pitches, they are not literally meant. There is a modern trend in quality match fishermen in the presence to use lighter kit so they don't suffer under the rod tip hook pulls. The harder you pull at them, the harder they pull back.

It's not easy too do but nothing at the top of any sport is.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"How can you 'drag' a 15 lb carp in on 6 lb line? Especially when the maximum hook size is a 12, as it is on most commercials. "

What about all the carp that are not 15lb and with tackle geared for larger fish can be brought in as easily as some would a Roach.
Sorry Gozzer but I have seen it happen at club level and when i used to fish the midweek Moorlands and Woodland View Opens.
A heavy gauge size 12,,decent sized line and heavy elastic can subdue smaller Carp very quickly and these are the most susceptible to damage.
Just because match fishing is or was our preference should not detract away from the fact it happens in both match and pleasure fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good point there Lee. I’ve had many a situation where it’s taken less time to land 4-5lb carp on an Avon rod with 6lb mainline and a 5lb hooklength than it takes me to land a 2lb perch on a float rod with 4lb line and a 2lb hooklength. I’ve never drag them in by any stretch of the imagination but they can come in surprisingly easy on such gear let alone with the stuff you see some people fish with.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Skilled angler using 0.17mm (6lb line) direct to a ,size 14 hook and 14 elastic
Once the carp is hooked (and he doesn't know the size) he is constantly pulling it towards the net.
Lets not forget this guy looks very good and controlled - a fair few anglers don't have this ability
Fish weighed est 8lb

Somebody should inform him though that he is doing it wrong
"you cannot drag a 6lb carp in on a 6lb line either without suffering serious hookpulls"