Line ratings on rods

Joe C

Site Supporter
I ordered the Shakespeare agility 2 14ft match. It has arrived today and has a good crisp feel when I’ve waggled it.
Says it’s rated with line up to 8lb and can cast weight from 10 to 30g, I’m a bit confused because it’s got no minimum rating. Could I be fishing with roach on light lines with it? Is it an out and out power waggler rod even though it says match?

I like a rod with a soft action so I can feel the fight even when fishing for silver fish.

Bit unsure what to make of it.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve not seen that length in the flesh, have waggled their 13ft version and that certainly didn’t feel like a rod rated to 8lb so I wonder if it was the lite version as it felt more like a 3-6lb rod. Anyway waffle aside I have one float rod rated to 8lb that being a daiwa ninja and it certainly wouldn’t be suited to regular light line fishing but then every rods different. If it feels alright it probably will be.

On a side note am I imagining it or didn’t you order an ultralight matchpro? If so that is certainly a light line silvers rod.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
I have the 15ft version used it on canal caught perch roach and jack pike on it so far not tried it on bigger fish yet did break tip on mine off first time using it

Joe C

Site Supporter
I’ve not seen that length in the flesh, have waggled their 13ft version and that certainly didn’t feel like a rod rated to 8lb so I wonder if it was the lite version as it felt more like a 3-6lb rod. Anyway waffle aside I have one float rod rated to 8lb that being a daiwa ninja and it certainly wouldn’t be suited to regular light line fishing but then every rods different. If it feels alright it probably will be.

On a side note am I imagining it or didn’t you order an ultralight matchpro? If so that is certainly a light line silvers rod.

I did, but they didn’t have it as listed so I got this one instead. Couldn’t find another sadly!

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
compare to ultra it is stiffer but felt ok on small fish will see how it feels on a river and carp ponds

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
I ordered the Shakespeare agility 2 14ft match. It has arrived today and has a good crisp feel when I’ve waggled it.
Says it’s rated with line up to 8lb and can cast weight from 10 to 30g, I’m a bit confused because it’s got no minimum rating. Could I be fishing with roach on light lines with it? Is it an out and out power waggler rod even though it says match?

I like a rod with a soft action so I can feel the fight even when fishing for silver fish.

Bit unsure what to make of it.
i think that what you will find is that the 8lb is a maximum rating . i have a couple of power float rods and although the line rating is also 8lb on both rods i certainly dont find any need to fish that heavy anywhere . the maximum line i ever use is about 5lb . both of my rods are great for that and a hooklength of around 3lb ish . being a power rod it could be that it is too heavy for using hooklengths too light because apart from the tackle not being balanced , you will probably find that given the power of the rod you would probably lose fish as a light hooklength would break off on a big fish etc .

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
and the end of the day its about having balanced tackle . its like using a number 16 elastic in your pole to catch small silvers if you get what i mean . a sledgehammer to crack a nut as it were

Blanks

Site Supporter
What sort of are fishing are you intending to use it for? Sounds like an allrounder to me with a line rating of 8lb in which case you need a reel with a couple of spools for different BS line. Don,t go too heavy on line as it will impair casting,don't forget there is a lot of stretch and use a hooklength and hook of suitable size for the fish you expect to catch.
The only real way to judge a rod is to fish with it.
I notice you have been asking a few questions, when fishing a waggler on a still water cast and feed in the same place each time and sink the line so as to avoid a big bow on the surface if wind is blowing the float use a heavier float and/or fish over depth. No need to strike like zorro just a firm strike will do the job. Tight lines.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Line ratings are quite subjective and just a guide really. Take my float rods for example.

The acolyte ultra is rated 2-4lb which I think is about right for it. For mainline I used it with 4lb originally but now use 3lb with 2-2.5lb hooklengths but you could go below 2lb hooklengths. It's 100% definitely a silvers rod for me.

The Cadence CR10 #1 is rated 2-6lb but I personally think it's a touch too heavy for 2lb so I'd say it's more a 3-6lb rod although not sure you'd really want to put 6lb through it. I use it with 3lb or 4lb mainline and 2-3lb hooklengths and I personally wouldn't drop below 2lb. I consider it as a lighter allrounder rod.

The daiwa ninja is rated 2-8lb which I think rubbish to say you can use 2lb and 8lb on the same rod, I'd say 4-6lb fits it better but it's closer to being suitable to 8lb than 2lb not that I'd stick either through it. I use 5lb mainline and 3-4lb hooklengths and I wouldn't drop much below 3lb. I consider it as a heavier allrounder rod.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I preferred it when they used to say “will handle hooklengths down to” rather than these mainline recommendations.
Has anyone ever snapped a rod by going over the max line recommended?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I have a Greys TXL Barbel in a 2lb test curve that is only rated up to 10lb apparently :unsure:

Similar 12ft 2lb Korum rod rated up to 18lb line.

Think i'll run 15lb on my Greys and see what happens.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Tbh you’d do well to break 10lb let alone 15lb

TBH it seems barbel anglers have mixed preferences when it comes to setup, some have said 8lb mainline, others say 15lb mainline to 20lb braided hooklengths, i figure i can start at the upper end and then scale down if i find i can get away with it.

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
if im buying a float rod , i do have a look at line ratings but more importantly i think the action of a rod tells you most of what you need to know about it . for example you wouldnt buy a fine spliced tip rod for banging out big weights of carp on a lake etc . but for trotting a stick float with fine line etc , a rod like this is perfect