line for method fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ada

brummie
can any one recommend a good line for method feeding [reel line] I was usingt 6 pound maxima but last year experiewnced a few crack offs on the cast.I dont know if I bought a bad batch of line .the pool I fish has a gravel bar 40 yards out so you have to give it a bit of wellie on the cast .I tried 8 pound maxima but this was too thick to cast the distance,yet in previous years I had no trouble with the six pound maxy the only thing different is I have changed rods from a traverse x medium to a solstace heavy feeder the fish are average of about 5 pounds

MALC

Ada
You may have already done it but check the rings on your rod the lining may be cracked causeing the line to fray.

I've always used maxima for all feeder work without any problems and for method work i use 6,8 or 10lb b/s depending on the venue and fish size and never had a crack off with it, but i do check the rod rings after every trip and get new one's fitted every year if neaded or not.

One line that i've been trying since last summer is Shimano Cantana and it has performed better than maxima but it is dear at over 20 a spool.

Malc

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Malc - get the fuji SiC rings next time and they should last pretty much forever. Not cheap but wonderful.

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Ada,

The only line I use when fishing the method is 12lb Team Diawa. It has never let me down yet and it doesn't seem to put the fish off. The added advantage is that when you get the odd big un you know that you have the gear there to cope.
Another way is to use a 'Shock Leader' which is a heavy line or braid tied to your main line. This has to be long enough to go from the feeder, through the rod rings and wrap three or four times around the reel. The idea is that this takes the strain when casting big feeders. You then tie a short hooklength at the end after the feeder.

icon_smile.gif Dave

ada

brummie
thanks dave and malc, Ive checked the rings and they are fine the rod is only one season old,I did buy the line from mail order and I'm wondering if it is old stock.The maxima I used the season before was no trouble,I'll go and get some more from my local dealer.The trouble is now when I cast the method its in the back of my mind that the lines gonna snap!!!! I think a good bag up day on it is required!! I went the season before without a single crack off!! I'll let you know how I get on. thanks ADA.......ps I wont buy no more mail order line.

AlexR

although my method feeding is only at close range, i use 6lb team daiwa sensor bulk, you get 2000m for 6 and although its really thick, it is very durable, and has never broken on me. i have also cast a method feeder to 40 yards with it, and would have no worry, except my rod is a maver retribution and it is not really strong enough for that range.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.