Line diameters.

canal grey

I've never really taken much notice before of line diameters and breaking strains (just bought whatever breaking strain I thought I would need)
But, after having a look at my reel spools, I noticed that they gave both . So, when I come to renew my lines, which do I go by? I am presuming the diameter as opposed to line strength as there seem to be different strengths of line available for the same diameter? For example, I was looking at 016 diameter and I found one line at 4.6lb and another at 3.6lb. So, if my spool says 016/220yds, that is exactly how much line the spool will take regardless of breaking strain?
Sorry for the stupid question. You'd have thought I'd know this after 50 years of fishing! Saying that, it takes me all day to work out how to use a tablet. :mad:
Thank you.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve found it’s a bit of a lottery tbh I only use what the spool says as a guide and always get more line than I need then judge it by eye.

richox12

It's not a stupid question as it confuses many. However, as the saying goes 'if it's not broke why fix it ?'

If your existing make/brand/size of line does what you want why change it ?

Personally I only ever go by diameter and am not really worried too much by the actual B/S (within reason). Others do the complete opposite.

Problem is it is a bit of a can of worms as you cannot always, rarely it seems, trust the labelling. Hence sticking with what you know and trust is not a bad option.

canal grey

I usually use Maxima for both mainline and hook lengths for my float fishing, but it can be quite expensive for bulk spools. So if I stick with diameters, is there another cheaper alternative available for float fishing, or is the Maxima a safe bet.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Since I came back to fishing I’ve been using diameter rather than breaking strain for filling my reels - seems to be working so far.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I usually use Maxima for both mainline and hook lengths for my float fishing, but it can be quite expensive for bulk spools. So if I stick with diameters, is there another cheaper alternative available for float fishing, or is the Maxima a safe bet.
Cant beat maxima for value for me 👍🏻Very strong and reliable for its diameter.

OldTaff

Site Supporter

Not found any Maxima locally so went for Drennan float fish and Drennan carp & silverfish for feeder - very pleased with both.

Warden

Site Supporter
Fully agree right can of worms fishing line, more than one is a larger size than it says on spool keep with what you are happy with (this may take some trial and error) to find concentrate on things like types of Knots you use (figure of 8 being a v/good one) clutch settings on reels how you attatch your hook length (never put your hook through its own loop) elastic size if using a pole common sense things really.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not found any Maxima locally so went for Drennan float fish and Drennan carp & silverfish for feeder - very pleased with both.
Drennan float fish is very good as well, you do have to get your measures right with it though as only comes in small spools.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Drennan float fish is very good as well, you do have to get your measures right with it though as only comes in small spools.

Been backing out the spools with super cheap 15lb bright red mono then topping off with 100yds of Drennan - as I only have short casting venues available to me at the moment it’s not the end of the world if the reels aren’t loaded tight to the lip of the spool

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Float fish is supposed to float and it does in my experience! But then again maxima is supposed to sink but in my experience in 3lb it tends to float 🤔 in fact maxima floated for me so well last year (feels funny saying last year already!) that it's the only float line I used all year 👍🏻

BoldBear

Drennan Floatfish is a good floating line, but as most floating lines do it can be made to sink quite easily by lowering your rod tip below the surface (with your bailarm closed) and then striking upwards as you tighten up; or by adding a few drops of dilute washing up liquid onto your spool.

Keith