Line diameter / amount puzzler.

canal grey

Here's a question for someone who is good with diameters and line amounts (well everyone except me really as I have no idea whatsoever! )
I have a reel spool which says 026 /150m 11.7lb/165yds
If I wish to fill the spool with 022/6lb Maxima Chameleon line, how much line would I need to fill it?
Something to ponder on on a cold day !:D

cuzza

Bit of simple maths says 209.5m 🤓

Just get the volume from the spool details and divide by cross sectional area of what you want to put on

Keith Sparky

Bit of simple maths says 209.5m 🤓

Just get the volume from the spool details and divide by cross sectional area of what you want to put on
Only problem is that maxima is massively under stated with diameters so probably closer to 150m !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only problem is that maxima is massively under stated with diameters so probably closer to 150m !
I find it varies, in lower breaking strains I haven’t found it to be overstated by much more than 0.01.

To the OP online calculators are good for a rough guide, as almost all lines are overstated you can fairly safely assume you won’t need as much as it says.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
How tight you spool the line also counts just to confuse things :p
Maxima comes in 100 metre spools which are connected if they are in the box rather than individually packed for self service OR 250 metre one shot spools OR 600 metre bulk spools.
As you need more than 100 metres its either 2 of the 100m connected or one of either of the others unless you want a knot in there somewhere.