Line clip wear and tear on braid

corkycat

When I'm feeder fishing with braided line I am always concerned about the impact of the wear being put on the braid each time it hits the clip, potentially up to 50 times a day. So I have this nifty idea: every ten casts or so I move the braid an inch further away from the clip. That way I am "spreading the load" by not putting constant pressure on one single centimetre of the braid all the time. The other point is that my bream groundbait is spread over an area the size of a dining table, so moving the line a few inches in either direction will not make any difference. Does anybody else do this? Are there any other ideas that I may try? All opinions - positive and negative - are welcome.

(By the way, I have tried alternatives to line clips, such as inner tubes and bait bands, but personally find them a bit too fiddly).

squimp

Site Supporter
Tie a stop knot on the line at the required distance and put the tag of the knot under the clip....

Or loosen the clip by putting a bit of masking tape under it or do the same with a bait band/bit of pole elastic. Either will reduce the pressure on the line.

2 other suggestions: don’t worry about it or go back to using mono.

richox12

Just loop some thin pole elastic around the braid so it starts under the clip, then wrap it around the braid , then put back under the clip with tag ends now sticking out so you can use them to unclip. Braid will be protected then.

Irishhybrids

50 casts a day isn’t much really , all depends which reel your using, if it has a decent line clip , I’ve had Braid on my reels for up to 4 years and never found it a problem if I’m honest, if your fishing for Roach on Braid direct you could be casting 200/300 times in a session ,

corkycat

50 casts a day isn’t much really , all depends which reel your using, if it has a decent line clip , I’ve had Braid on my reels for up to 4 years and never found it a problem if I’m honest, if your fishing for Roach on Braid direct you could be casting 200/300 times in a session ,
Thanks - what would you describe as a "decent" line clip? The reel I use (in Ireland, by the way) is the Shimano Ultegra 5000. It's clip is small, circular, and does seem to be on some kind of spring which allows it to be pulled outwards a smidge. So I would assume that it is decent?

By the way, in the reel's instruction leaflet Shimano do publish a disclaimer saying that the company would not be responsible for damage to line caused by what they call "misuse" of the line clip. Further going on to say that the sole purpose of the clip is for line storage when not in use.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I would agree with what you are doing if you hit the clip hard but I would go the other way and shorten by an inch or so then if the braid has suffered any damage its not going to get loaded and risk breakage as it will be short of the clip on the spool.

Irishhybrids

Perfect that , exactly the same reel I use in said environment , that’s standard info to be fair , I use the Ci4 version and TDR last Oct on the Erne catching Roach one a Chuck , I’d be more worried about the other end with Zebra mussels on the knot area between braid , leader , you have nothing to worry about , are you going this year ?

corkycat

Perfect that , exactly the same reel I use in said environment , that’s standard info to be fair , I use the Ci4 version and TDR last Oct on the Erne catching Roach one a Chuck , I’d be more worried about the other end with Zebra mussels on the knot area between braid , leader , you have nothing to worry about , are you going this year ?
At the moment, yes but I am not banking on it happening. I am booked into a S/C near Belturbet for a week at the end of June, and again in late August. I am more hopeful of the August trip. I do have a plan "B" if I can't travel in June, and that is to go to N.I. I had a great week round Enniskillen last year.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
When I'm feeder fishing with braided line I am always concerned about the impact of the wear being put on the braid each time it hits the clip, potentially up to 50 times a day. So I have this nifty idea: every ten casts or so I move the braid an inch further away from the clip. That way I am "spreading the load" by not putting constant pressure on one single centimetre of the braid all the time. The other point is that my bream groundbait is spread over an area the size of a dining table, so moving the line a few inches in either direction will not make any difference. Does anybody else do this? Are there any other ideas that I may try? All opinions - positive and negative - are welcome.

(By the way, I have tried alternatives to line clips, such as inner tubes and bait bands, but personally find them a bit too fiddly).
When hitting the clip, practice on lowering the rod to allow the feeder a softer landing, this will take the shock off the line clip

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You'll have all on wearing braid out with a plastic clip mate. If you get a big shoal of bream going you need an area the size of a tennis court, not a dining table. With that in mind it may pay to not bother with a clip at all. If I am slabbing, I tend to use a bomb and groundbait with a catapult. I don't want lose the skills that I spent so many years honing.