Line Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Hello

Thaks for the advise on the feeder rigs, now I need more help !

Can you wizzards spare some time to give me some sensible guidance on line useage.

I went to a couple of tackle shops but did not get any clear advise and have ended up more confused. So I've got lots of questions

For feeder fishing I jumped in with both feet and bought some Maxima 5ib feeder braid. I have used it on the River Weaver with a ready made shcok absorber form Prestons I think, it has a elastic length approx 8" with swivels both ends and a linked swivel for the feeder which runs between 2 bead stops. When I used it I found that the bead stops did not work as it came in down at the hook length swivel every time and it often got tangled with the hookleeeeength.

At one shop I was told that braid is very harsh and should I use a mono length as a shock absorber but as far as length he just said it's down to personal preference.

If this is the best idea then how long should this be ideally and what strain/type/make does anyone suggest, then what hook length make/strain for bream fishing. Should the feeder run on the braid or shock length ?

The same shop told me that when fishing lakes where carp are also a possiblility then the braid would not be a good idea and he suggested using maxima 6lb so I bought some but it seems very stiff to me and curls easily, I also have some Team Daiwa Monfil (freebe) 5lb and some Daiwa Sensor Monofil 4lb (freebe) are either of these floating which is needed for stick floating as I beleive ?

The other fishing is waggler and I read that sinking line is best on stillwaters, but whay type for waggler fishing on rivers?

As you can see I am really lost.

Nick

I hope someone can

Lid

Hi Nick

There's a lot of questions here. [:D]

I am no expert on feeder fishing but my view is to keep things simple, at least to start with. Don't get bamboozled by all the different rigs, lines, links and possible fish you may encounter at different venues. [:0]

Try to pick a venue where people regularly catch your intended quarry and stick with it for a while, before trying something else. [:)]

As to the the mainline, I personally would leave the braid aside for now and stick with monofil. If it's too springy and coils easily, you could try stretching it. Set it up on a rod, tie a loop to a post or strong branch and walk back about 30 - 50 yards with the bail arm open. Close the bail arm, tighten the clutch and stretch the line gently. First bend the rod firmly for 10 seconds and then straighten it and walk back a few yards. Feel the line and check you are stretching it well, but not so much that it nearly snaps. If you get it right, the line should be much more limp and easier to handle.

By the way this is not my idea, it came from one of John Wilson's books and it does seem to work. You have to do the stretching by ear really, can't be much more specific. [:D][:D][:D]

Also you need to make sure you wind the line onto the reel the same way it's wound on the spool. See this link for a diagram

http://www.floatsgone.btinternet.co.uk/basics/reels.htm

As to the feeder rig itself, start simple. You could do no worse than the setups shown on your last thread - 3 loop method or straight thru rig and keep the actual feeder link nice and short to help reduce tangles.

If you use the straight through rig, you'll need a thinner hooklength than 6lbs mono you've bought below the stop. Again for the hooklength go for simplicity, use ordinary 2 - 3 lbs line or better still use a pre-stretched double strength line like Drennan 2lbs 12oz or 4lbs, depending on your expected fish.

I hope this helps a bit. [8D]

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
OTOH - powerpro braid in a 10 lb b/s is smooth, limp (no memory, no coils), and the size of a 3-4 lb mono but not as stiff.

Almost no stretch as compared to the near 25% you get with standard mono lines which can be good or bad depending on your preferences. Now that I've gotten used to braid, I have real problems dealing with a normal mono line and especially at any significant distance. For instance, at 50 yards with mono, I might have to take in 10-12 YARDS of line to get a solid hook set. May be nice if you are fishing with a broom handle but UK rods tend to be long and springy and don't need a line that is the same.

This particular line tends to float (although some dishwashing liquid in water and place the spool in it for a while helps if you want sinking). There are other good braids that sink.

And I have not seen any ring damage on a rod with good quality rings. Cheap (soft) stainless steel rings will groove/cut with braid but with the smooth ones, no worse than with mono. The better ceramic ones won't.

So here you have it. Completely different line suggestions by a couple of guys who like to fish but have different preferences. And neither of us is wrong.

Newt Vail

Last edited:

Lid

Actually Newt I like the modern braids too, but I got the feeling that Nick was relatively new at this and is being dealt all sorts different 'advice' from the tackle shops.

Correct me if I am wrong please Nick.

It seems to me it would be easier and cheaper to start with mono and then move up to braid as a natural progression.

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

martin.

Account Locked
hi
i normally use drennan feeder braid 8lb & make my own shock absorbers out of 6lb drennan shock leader i normally make them 6-8" swivel both ends with one bead top, feeder link bead next then another 3 beads this acts as a type of boom.
1 thing you must not forget is that with virtualy no stretch you do not actualy strike at a bite you just have to lift into it with braid striking can lead to a snap off.
i normally use .1 to .14 hooklenghts dependant on what im after & hooksize

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Nick

Hello Guys

Sorry I have been away for a few days but thanks to all for the sound advise.

I think I will put the braid away for a little while and start simple with the mono and see how it goes.

I have tried a couple fo times in the freezing weather and drawn blanks on the Weaver, would I be likely to do better on the lakes at this time of year ?

Regards

Chopper

I don't think you will be any better off on a lake, everywhere is pants this time of year especially with the weather being so variable, mild one week, freezing the next and then mild again.

Personally I only use braid on still waters when I'm targetting skimmers/roach and fishing a good distance out. If there's a chance of a carp there's no stretch in the braid, ok you will get a better bite but the chances are you'll just rip the hook out or even break your rod!

I'm a Maxima man myself, scecially for feeder fishing. It also does the job when waggler fishing, to sink it just tighten up, put rod tip under water and flight it up and that should do it. If not a bit of water with washing up liquid on your spool will do the trick.

As for feeder rigs, there's only really 2 I use often, a straight forward paternostor on a stillwater and the double loop on moving water.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Last edited:

fishing_mad

if you want somewere good to try feeder fisher try out the donut lake at hudsons farm its good for skimmer roach and small bream up to 3lb

:)Fishing Mad:)

Nick

Sounds good but where is hudsons farm ?

I'm really showing my ignorance now !

Nick

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by LEE SAVILLE

Personally I only use braid on still waters when I'm targetting skimmers/roach and fishing a good distance out. If there's a chance of a carp there's no stretch in the braid, ok you will get a better bite but the chances are you'll just rip the hook out or even break your rod!

LOL - Lee, you sound like a friend of mine who will only fish mono in any circumstances. But he freely admits that is because he loves to set the hook with a "Texas Whip" motion. Says it makes him feel good. :D He has been known to have smaller fish nearly airborne if they bit strongly and he mis-guessed the size.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.