Light commercial feeder rod advice

SimpleCyman

I have been fishing a small 20gm cage feeder just beyond pole range on commercials this winter and am really enjoying this style of fishing, mainly for skimmers. Currently I am using a Shakespeare Mach2 10ft wand which is a lovely rod considering it was only £40 or so. However, I would like to upgrade to a better rod as though its great for bite detection on skimmers, its a bit undergunned for the odd carp you hook fishing like this and you have to take your time.
Was thinking maybe Matrix 10ft Slim, or maybe 10ft Preston Supera SL. Anyone have any other suggestions from experience?

mikeyF

I have the Supera 10ft SL (and the standard version of it also). I came from a Shakespeare Mach 3 10ft feeder, which I had picked up used to start my feeder fishing journey, and for which I landed my PB carp of 18lbs 8oz. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it but the handle was falling apart and I was looking to start fishing matches and using it far more than it would likely cope with.

I use the Supera SL for fishing for silvers on my local natural farm pond, where there is no danger of a lump, and I'd probably consider it for match lakes in winter where I'm not likely to hook anything much over 6lbs. It will happily cast 20g to that distance, and I often use a 30g feeder on it to about 25-30 yards. That said I'm not sure I'd want to be using it where I'm going to be hooking doubles on any kind of likely basis.

The Supera standard 10ft is still a lovely soft rod, and is more than capable of handling both the silvers, and angry carp in commercials (currently largest carp on it is 15-16lbs and with ease) - if you are concerned that the Mach 2 is under-gunned then I'd suggest you consider the standard Supera.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I've got the 11ft version of the Supera SL. Lovely rod for silvers and the occasional bigger fish to around 30 meters. I've not tried using it on commercials as I've other rods just for that type of venue . If you could get hold of a 3m 50g Sphere bomb rod that would be ideal for either silvers or good sized carp to around the same distance. This rod works really well for method feeding and I've used it for silvers on lakes with a straight feeder

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
If you can hang on a bit take a look at the new Daiwa Matchman range of rods when they come out. Apparently they are great rods for the money. Not sure when they’ll be in shops though 🎣

Expanda

I've got 2 Preston Tyson 9ft feeders. Very pleased with them esp at around £50. Had Carp up to 12lb no probs.
Only downside is the tips are easily broken if you're a bit clumsy like me🙄. The "ignition " tips are much stronger and a straight fit.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Free sprit ctx feederlight sl, I've just bought the regular ctx feederlight but I had a waggle of the sl version and it feels like just the rod, it was not on freesprit's own Web site but todber manor had one I looked at the 11ft but I belive there is shorter one. I chose the regular feederlight as its for open water roach skimmers and bream and wanted to cast a bit longer with bigger feeders, if I was in the market for such a rod it would be at the top of my list.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have been using a Tri-cast short method rod for similar situations for a few years now and it has done everything I have asked of it, it is not to powerful for silvers but if a lump does come along it is powerful enough to deal with it. However last year I got a Maver signature pro 10'6 light feeder/bomb rod and it is a lovely rod for short range light feeder work casts 20grm feeders really well and has a nice soft tip section so no issues with silvers but the butt section is deceptively powerful. Upto now I have not had anything over around 8lb on it but it handled that fine, however if I had a high chance of bigger (10lb+) fish I think I would still reach for the Tri-cast

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
I’ve got the Supera 10ft, bought predominantly for the match carp to about 12lb that are the target in most of my fishing.

I have considered the SL version for silvers matches, but decided not to bother as the standard has been fine for silvers as well.

Total

Site Supporter
I’ve got the Supera 10ft, bought predominantly for the match carp to about 12lb that are the target in most of my fishing.

I have considered the SL version for silvers matches, but decided not to bother as the standard has been fine for silvers as well.
^^ Definitely the way to go if you've got more than a decent chance of catching a decent carp (in a match).....I use a pair of Team Daiwa match 10 foot feeder rods for such situations and often with 1 or 1.5 ounce quivertips and catch a boat load of silvers...(y)

Total

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo....While I think about it....Had some bait from WW delivered for the weekend including 1/2 kilo worm.....Total worm bag weighed 800 grams and a full compliment of worm as ordered.... The rest of the weight was soil....(y)

Browner

Site Supporter
I have the Drennan Vertex 9ft Carp feeder. Very pleased with it. Comes with a 1.1/2oz glass tip and a 2.1/2oz carbon tip. I generally use it with either a 1oz or 1.1/2oz fast taper glass tip, which I bought separately, as it suits my kind of fishing. Find it a lovely rod for under £100.

Paul.P

The 9' tricast excellence is the best all round commercial rod i've ever had, can cast up to 40m with accuracy, yet can drop a tiny bomb at 20m just as well, i have an 8 & 10' one as well but 9 times out of 10 reach for the 9' rod.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The Shakespeare Mach XT Wand was the first proper feeder rod I had having only come to feeder fishing a good 10 years after I started fishing. Not used it in 3 years now having got more suitable feeder rods since but had great fun with it for a few years even if it couldnt cast more than about 20m in a straight line and would bend double on anything of any size. Was a bit limiting in that it struggled to cast more than an oz as well. But it was a perfect short range roach and skimmer rod although I also I had 3lb perch and 4lb bream on it as well along with a few unintentional pike! Only cost about £75 new I think. I’ll have to give it a run out again at some point.

Back to the OP I’m sure any of the supera SL, horizon slim or acolyte ultra would be fine if predominantly targeting skimmers with the odd carp but I guess a step up to the normal supera or horizon or acolyte plus would be suitable if lots of carp are involved.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Just a picking up where @Silverfisher left off - I struggle (angling is a hobby for me rather than a sport) a bit to try and find a short rod that would be ideal for both silvers and carp simultaneously. There are plenty of decent 10ft commercial method type feeder rods which will handle double figure carp, and likewise - short silver rods with the occasional bonus lumps (Supera SL's, Drennan's Acolyte Ultra etc) Does it not make sense to look at horses for courses eventually? More expensive buying two rods, but long term better results even if it means you have to switch rods during sessions. The only short rod I've found to work for both pretty well (though it is a tad on the powerful side for silvers) is Brownings Sphere Bomb rod The 50g one I use will cast a 20g feeder 30 metres and a method/hybrid feeder further than that. It comes with 4 tips starting at 0.5oz rising to 1.5oz, and has a lovely through action plus the steel to handle big carp
The rod is expensive, but I think well worth the extra. Today Browning's only produce two versions of their Sphere bomb rod (30g c/w) but one is designated xtra power. I've seen that rod (xpower) handle big carp

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I too have the 10ft Supera in std and SL versions. Lovely rods, the std is ideal for reasonably shorts chucks on commercials , and will handle big carp to 15lb

Reuben

Site Supporter
The Greys Torean Tactical rods are worth a look at. They’re half price in Bobco at the moment at various lengths & come with 5 tips. I’ve the Torean Method feeder 8’7” & it’s very well finished & a pleasure to use on commies.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I would definitely have a look at the Tricast commercial feeder rods/ Excellence etc

Dropon

The Cadence 9ft and the 10 ft #2 would be worth considering, problem is you have to find a roadshow or buy blind. Good bits of kit, nice action and well finished.