Light bulbs

rudd

Site Supporter
My energy saving light bulb in dining room is a phillips (bayonet normal/size) with three tubes in u bends.
Its great when having dinner - or was!!!
Since March 17th been in here using as an office as has her on the other side of table.
With mainly sunny days and BST light not an issue.
Had Mon / Tue off and back in here today working.
The light from bulb is not good enough - I do have a nice led desk lamp but thats not enough.

I need a recommendation for a decent light bulb, we may need to buy a corner lamp?
Have six months of this dark days and darker evenings working from home - it may tip me over............

I think mental health for many is going to suffer now clocks gone back ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I use L.E.D. light bulbs and find them to be really good, if a bit more expensive.

davej1981

As above use an led bulb, they give a much cleaner light, yes they are more expensive but they last much longer. When i worked as a lighting engineer I never bothered with any fittings that took a lamp, whena fitting failed i always used an led fitting. The difference in illumination particularly in areas with no natural light was amazing

nutmeg

Site Supporter
If you have a Home Bargains store nearby, they sell LED light bulbs, when we moved house in 2018 we fitted these throughout the house, all still going strong, and give a good quality light.
The old style energy bulbs are awful in comparison.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I changed a similar type of fluorescent bulb to a LED bulb, it is brighter, but doesn't cast the light as far as a filament bulb. You can still get incandescent bulbs, but although better for illumination, they are more costly to run, don't last long, not energy efficient and the cost is on a par with the LED ones. Screwfix have LED bulbs at good prices.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I use a lamp which was given to me by the Kent Association for the Blind for work in the office/spare bedroom. It is a little pricey to run, but if you have eyesight that is sensitive to glare, it might be worth checking out the RNIB's website for lamps/bulbs that simulate daylight, or get some advice from your doc/optician

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Have a look at SAD lamps, can't recommend one, but they may be what you're after.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I changed a similar type of fluorescent bulb to a LED bulb, it is brighter, but doesn't cast the light as far as a filament bulb. You can still get incandescent bulbs, but although better for illumination, they are more costly to run, don't last long, not energy efficient and the cost is on a par with the LED ones. Screwfix have LED bulbs at good prices.

Edison style LED bulbs are great, better light pattern than the standard LED bulbs.

Amazon product

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Edison style LED bulbs are great, better light pattern than the standard LED bulbs.

Amazon product

12w 2700k is about right for a medium room, nice and bright, B22 fitting is most common in british homes.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I thought you were from Norfolk? A bigger candle needed surely!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As a sparky once told me "a bulb goes in the ground, a lamp goes in a lamp holder - it's a lamp not a bulb!"

rudd

Site Supporter
Thanks for all replies - will be sourcing a new bulb quickly.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
A lamp can be anything that is emissive of light, a bulb refers to the glass envelope containing the light source ?

kniteforce

i gave up using the word lamp to customers years ago, same with consumer unit, just say bulb and fuseboard and save loads of time n hassle