Light 13ft waggler rod

Philnun87

I have a 12ft acolyte carp which I use for my pellet waggler fishing so was initially thinking of using that for any carp fishing and getting an ultra for winter silver fish fishing. I only really fish on commercials however, no rivers etc so inevitably carp do turn up, which was my only reservation about the Ultra, but love the Acolyte range as they are great rods

Philnun87

I love the acolyte 12ft carp waggler, it bends right through to the butt and imho they are incredible rods which would be hard to beat for the pellet waggler.

JLK

12ft acolyte carp waggler is for all intent and purpose a 12ft acolyte plus in my opinion. Same with the 11ft acolyte carp waggler, may as well be called an 11ft acolyte plus. And you are correct. They do bend right round to the butt on a big fish. Not ideal in my book as the last thing I want to be doing is struggling to get a fishes head up when the rod us bent double.

Philnun87

12ft acolyte carp waggler is for all intent and purpose a 12ft acolyte plus in my opinion. Same with the 11ft acolyte carp waggler, may as well be called an 11ft acolyte plus. And you are correct. They do bend right round to the butt on a big fish. Not ideal in my book as the last thing I want to be doing is struggling to get a fishes head up when the rod us bent double.
I like a softer rod for most fishing scenarios tbh as it saves hook pulls in my opinion. I rarely pull out of fish on the 12ft carp waggler

trotter2

I have the 11ft carp. When I first got the rod I had serious reservation if it would handle a carp being so light and thin I almost sold it. Pleased I never it's a fab rod, biggest fish so far 17lb carp . Works with skimmers,roach good all rounder.

Philnun87

I have the 11ft carp. When I first got the rod I had serious reservation if it would handle a carp being so light and thin I almost sold it. Pleased I never it's a fab rod, biggest fish so far 17lb carp . Works with skimmers,roach good all rounder.
I have had similar sized fish on the 12ft and love it... too often you see people trying to bully fish to build a weight and losing them

solwood

Site Supporter
Dont forget I use an Acolyte plus regularly too so happy with Drennan rod actions. I gave the ultra 4 tries 2 on river and 2 on the lake. If I had to reduce to just 2 rods they would both be Drennan the Acolyte Plus and a Super Tench would cover everything from silvers to big carp!

Correct I bought the Dave Harrel to make sure I had and a back up but had it rung to use with a Pin.

trotter2

Other thing forgot to say is hook lengths the acolyte plus I would fish down to 0.10 the acolyte Ultra I would fish down to 0.06 with little problem. Depends how important that is to you I suppose, but worth a mention.

Solwood how do the find the gti regarding rod balance as I remember them being not a lightweight blank by any means.
I did look into purchasing one once, a blank and all the gear to rig one up. But the weight of the blank put me off somewhat. The 13ft GTI was the same weight as a 17ft acolyte. Don't mean to sound negative but just a fact mate.

solwood

Site Supporter
I will try to weigh them but dont have very accurate scales.

The GTi feels great in the hand and easy to trot with all day. I am a weakling too!

I have not used it back to back with the acolyte. Before the acolyte it was the lightest float rod I had ever owned.

The Dave Harrel I regret not choosing titanium rings as at 13ft my choice of longer legged SICs has affected the balance a little

I use a FD-3000 on the acolyte and mach2 xt 035 on the GTi

Must admit never need to fish that fine anymore either! I always crinkle line below .10 when tying hooklinks!

Philnun87

Yes absolutely why not its a standard match rod .You will always bump a few fish regardless of whatever acolyte you use . That's fishing mate.
If your loosing a lot of fish it could be your technique and not the rod. My first advice would be try a diffrent hook pattern and work your way back from the hook,line, shotting pattern float and so on.
Good points raised. I think the hooks used are slightly too ‘springy’. I was looking at the Preston SFL-Bs...look decent

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Must admit never need to fish that fine anymore either! I always crinkle line below .10 when tying hooklinks!
Yeah if it’s hard enough fishing that I’d need to go below 0.10 I don’t really want to be fishing 😂