Light 13ft waggler rod

John Step

Site Supporter
As an aside I think perspectives have changed a lot regarding what is a match rod. Before carp were common place I think my Ultra would have been seen as a all round match rod. The biggest fish regularly caught would have been bream or chub.

Although my 14 ft Ultra is an absolute joy to use my 12 ft and 13 ft Normarks are still a joy and if I was to be totally honest they are safer/softer with the lightest of hooklengths than the Ultra. They are decades old. I have recently had a new screw type reel fitting rather than the old sliders fitted.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sort of following on from the above I think one of the nice things about the ultras both float and feeder is that they are specific silvers rods in an age of largely jack of all trades master of none rods. Whilst at times its nice to have a versatile rod and I was certainly grateful for such rods before I could afford an array of rods but it is also very nice to be able to have rods specifically designed for specific jobs. It is such a nicer experience fishing for silvers for me with silvers rods like the ultras than it is with rods that are even just slightly over gunned and/or not quite as sharp/precise.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I think Sam (sorry if not) mentioned it a one time that he thought the Plus was more what you call a traditional match rod for today. The Ultra more a match rod as was years ago. I'm not talking about the line strength, but action and what its was designed for.
You only have to look at Dannys blog and he used the Plus for ages with very light tippets like 1lb 8oz, so a highly versatile rod in my eyes. He only changed when he got a bit of sponsorship, as most would do.

richox12

I'm not talking about the line strength, but action and what its was designed for.
Plus and Ultra have same actions. It's only the strength/power which is different. So load an Ultra with 3oz (say) and the Plus with 4oz (say) and they bend in the same places and the 'curve' is the same. It just takes a bit more to bend the Plus to the same extent.

solwood

Site Supporter
Silverfisher its great that the Ultra is right for you. I do think its important that all views are aired though.

After positive reviews on here I bought an ultra to fish for crucian and tench at marsh farm and silver fishing on the Wey. Maybe I had a bad one but felt it couldn't control a 3lb tench and wasn't as nice as the GTi on the river. I also am very happy to use the plus to cover both scenarios. Now the fish have grown I use a drennan super tench at Marsh farm.

The issue of bumped fish, for me 9/10 times it's a hook starting to blunt. If you like the plus then consider adding an ultra, I wouldn't sell a plus to buy an ultra.

trotter2

Silverfisher its great that the Ultra is right for you. I do think its important that all views are aired though.

After positive reviews on here I bought an ultra to fish for crucian and tench at marsh farm and silver fishing on the Wey. Maybe I had a bad one but felt it couldn't control a 3lb tench and wasn't as nice as the GTi on the river. I also am very happy to use the plus to cover both scenarios. Now the fish have grown I use a drennan super tench at Marsh farm.

The issue of bumped fish, for me 9/10 times it's a hook starting to blunt. If you like the plus then consider adding an ultra, I wouldn't sell a plus to buy an ultra.
To be fair a 3 lb tench is a powerful fish even more so if you need to stop it reaching a weed bed.
May I suggest this is not typical of what the drennan ultra was designed for. Stick within its comfort zone it makes sense.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I wouldn’t be using an ultra for tench fishing (although wouldn’t expect a 3lb one to cause much grief) crucians yes as unless you’re very good you’re not regularly going to get them much over a couple pound but tench is pushing your luck. As trotter says you can’t really expect them to be great for what they clearly weren’t designed for.

solwood

Site Supporter
Trotter2 fair enough, but I expect a rod with a 4lb line rating to handle a 3lb tench. The GTi handles them much better. Bear in mind I onky use 3lb main line there!

It sounds like the ultra is a tool for a very specific purpose that is rare to find.

richox12

If the Ultras had a reel line rating of 2lb (so hooklengths obviously below this and right in the 'silvers' category) how many would have bought them ?? Judging by how many are out there then their purpose cannot be that rare at all.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Not sure about ‘specific purpose’. I use my 13’ Ultra for generic Stillwater fishing on the float. Had bream to 8lb on it with no real dramas - no tench though but a few carp to 4lb. Let’s face it, some fish fight like mad whilst others don’t. The bream in the lake I fish have a habit of jumping out of the water like salmon when hooked, others swim straight to the landing net.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I bought a 17' acolyte and though I have only caught a handful of Perch on it so far it quickly became clear it wasn't going to be cut out for Chub to 5lb in a snaggy peg, not on a regular basis anyway, I feel it could handle the odd Chub on an open swim on the Severn but if it was a 13' rod I would not like to be catching Carp on it. It seems great rod for small silver fish though and I presume it's the same at shorter lengths even though I think I was told the 17' Acolyte sits somewhere between a plus and an ultra.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I know they cost a little more than an acolyte but I feel that the Rive R waggler range is far more versatile than the acolyte, in 13ft length the light is similar to the ultra, with the medium sitting between an ultra and a plus in power and the heavy sitting slightly above the plus. For me the action is also better than an acolyte as they still maintain the light, fast tip section but don't have the softness in the middle section that the acolyte has. I have both the light and medium and to be fair if I had bought the medium 1st I probably would have realised I didn't need the light as it is perfect for silvers but still has enough power to control Chub and single figure carp without much difficulty. You also get the added bonus of it being lighter and slimmer than an equivalent acolyte

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah agree with @richox12 there’s been thousands sold as there’s thousands of anglers that predominantly trot floats on rivers for silvers and seemingly quite a few that still Chuck wagglers on Stillwaters for silvers so I wouldn’t say they are a tool for a rare form of angling at all. It’a very widely practiced form of angling where the vast majority of fish you catch are under a couple pounds or so therefore it’s nice to have a rod that’s actually built for such fish. Whilst you don’t want to be hooking bigger fish with any regularity on them getting the odd one every few sessions is not that much of an inconvenience really.

trotter2

Speaking from my own experience the ultra is a dace,roach,grayling rod.
The best fish I have caught on the ultra was a 6lb swale chub which are no walkover by any imagination. It will cope with bigger fish but is not what it's made for let's be honest. It all depends on what your fishing contains. If you enjoy fishing for fish up to a couple of pounds Stillwater or river it's a lovely rod. Hard to beat imo. But if you buy one expecting to pull carp out of lily pads or pull barbel out of a fast currently you made the wrong choice of rod. Stick to what it's designed for, simple.

Last edited:

solwood

Site Supporter
Just to say most of fishing is trotting for silvers, mostly under 4oz!! Do should have been perfect for me.

Maybe I had a dodgy early one, I described it as a stick of liquorice, felt line pickup was no better than my Dam quikstik , mind you I didnt like the match pro ultralight either. Only bought a plus after seeing someone use one and thought it looked way better action than the ultra I had.

I bought it on recommendation from here and found that for me it didn't deliver for silvers on the river or marsh farm my local small fish fishery.

Hence my experience and view is useful for balance here as rods that work for one dont work for others.

Clearly many felt like me locally at one point there were 3 for sale in the second hand bin and the shop has stopped selling ultra float rods.

I feel the plus does everything the ultra does just better and with more in reserve

In my search for the ultimate silvers rod for me for the river I bought and sold...

Drennan Matchpro Ultralite
JW youngs trotter
Drennan Acolyte Ultra

Bought and kept

Old Harrison GTi
Liked it so much bought Map Dave Harrel spliced tip and had it rebuilt13'-15ft
Later on bought the plus

alsur

Site Supporter
You list the two rods I now use for all my stick float rivers, 12ft matchpro ultralight for rivers with lots of over head branches and Acolyte ultra 14ft which I bought this year for more open rivers mainly the Wey. As can seen from the photo of me to left I have fished the stick for a long time and used various rods from fibre glass rods such as Shakespeare match international through to Shakespeare mach 2 boron and many in between and I can't fault the matchpro and Acolyte. But as been said they are not the tools if you are targeting bigger fish, if I was expecting to catch bigger fish I would use my 13ft Mach 2 boron which has more backbone.

solwood

Site Supporter
Interesting Alsur and again proves how personal rod preference is.

What stretch of the Wey do you fish btw?

I regularly fish Goldalming Angling stretches

alsur

Site Supporter
Interesting Alsur and again proves how personal rod preference is.

What stretch of the Wey do you fish btw?

I regularly fish Goldalming Angling stretches
I agree rods are very personal. I fish further upstream around Elstead, Used to fish the Woking and Guildford stretches in 80s and did fished a couple matches on Godalming stretches in the past infact I won one near Farncombe. The Wey was much better back then although my mate has had some good Roach catches on Woking waters this year, Roach are hard to come by around Elstead.

trotter2

Just to say most of fishing is trotting for silvers, mostly under 4oz!! Do should have been perfect for me.

Maybe I had a dodgy early one, I described it as a stick of liquorice, felt line pickup was no better than my Dam quikstik , mind you I didnt like the match pro ultralight either. Only bought a plus after seeing someone use one and thought it looked way better action than the ultra I had.

I bought it on recommendation from here and found that for me it didn't deliver for silvers on the river or marsh farm my local small fish fishery.

Hence my experience and view is useful for balance here as rods that work for one dont work for others.

Clearly many felt like me locally at one point there were 3 for sale in the second hand bin and the shop has stopped selling ultra float rods.

I feel the plus does everything the ultra does just better and with more in reserve

In my search for the ultimate silvers rod for me for the river I bought and sold...

JW youngs trotter
Drennan Acolyte Ultra

Bought and kept

Old Harrison GTi
Later on bought the plus
Its probably you don't get on with the action of drennan rods mate. They do have a different feel some don't like them like nejohn. Its all personal preference. Perhaps if you persevered more with it your views may well have changed. I don't know?. I would not read into the 3 for sale as anything of great concern.
Drennan have sold shed loads of them so there is always a few for sale second hand it's inevitable .

trotter2

JW youngs trotter
Drennan Acolyte Ultra

Bought and kept

Old Harrison GTi
Later on bought the plus
Can't help but notice your main rods consist of the Harrison GTI and a Dave Harrell which is the same blank. No disrespect but those rods are a completely different animal to an acolyte so really no surprise you don't find them to your liking.