Light 13ft waggler rod

Philnun87

Hi,

I am looking for a light 13ft waggler rod for skimmers / roach / f1s etc. I have whittled it down to the two below. Does anyone have and thoughts?

- drennan acolyte ultra
- map black edition parabolix light

people’s thoughts would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas everyone.

cheers
Phil

Reuben

Site Supporter
All depends on the size of the F1s. You might find the acolyte ultra a tad soft. If in doubt go for the plus - still a lovely light rod but with more backbone for regular F1s

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d echo the above. The ultra will be perfect if we’re talking typical F1 up to like 3lb but if it’s the supersized ones that can be double that then it would be a bit under gunned. It’s perfect for the the roach and skimmers though 👍🏻

Rick123

Site Supporter
Hi,

I am looking for a light 13ft waggler rod for skimmers / roach / f1s etc. I have whittled it down to the two below. Does anyone have and thoughts?

- drennan acolyte ultra
- map black edition parabolix light

people’s thoughts would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas everyone.

cheers
Phil

While its not arrived yet, I've just brought the Preston Supera 13' light 3-10. It has a fast but soft tip according to Dave Roberts that tested one on the Wye. Its also a favourite of Andy Power, rated as a very good float angler, he has a You-Tube clip of him using one? Worth having another option, some on here love the Ultra, others not so much. I think the Acolyte Plus is a better all around float rod, and more versatile. BJMO Phil.

Philnun87

Hi all,

thanks a lot for your feedback. I have an acolyte plus currently, it’s a lovely rod I just find it a bit too stiff for skimmers and f1 fishing....I don’t want to be bumping fish. I don’t know if others have felt the same?

would the ultra handle the occasional carp?

Philnun87

I would be mainly using it for skimmers and roach in the winter and occasionally f1s on places like Jenny’s lake at white acres in summer. The Acolyte plus does occasionally bump the odd smaller fish IMO

trotter2

Hi all,

thanks a lot for your feedback. I have an acolyte plus currently, it’s a lovely rod I just find it a bit too stiff for skimmers and f1 fishing....I don’t want to be bumping fish. I don’t know if others have felt the same?

In truth no. I would never use my ultra for carp fishing .The plus will handle carp say up to 5lb
It's still not a beefed up match rod the title can be misleading. Think of the plus as a standard match rod.

Philnun87

Hi Trotter2

Thank you. Would you still use the Plus for fishing a waggler in winter for skimmers, roach etc?

cheers

Phil

John Step

Site Supporter
Hi all,

If its very occasional I would say yes it would. I have a 14ft Ultra. Two or three times I have hooked and landed carp whilst roaching. From memory up to low doubles.
I remember the last occasion last Autumn I said to myself out loud. " This isn't going to end well". Actually it did end well if after somewhat a long time.
On 2.6 Bayer bottom no less.
I would not deliberately target even small carp however. There are much more suitable and CHEAPER suitable rods .

I have tried with some success the idea of fine wire hooks for roach that bend out should you unfortunately hook an accidental carp.

alsur

Site Supporter
I've got 14ft ultra and it handle the 5lb plus chub I caught first trip out with it, it did push it but I think it would handle the odd carp in open water depending on size.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hi all,

From a waggle of the plus it does seem a little powerful for specifically fishing for silvers whereas the ultra is perfect for them. My favourite coarse rod by a mile.

You really don’t want to be tangling with carp very often on the ultra though. I never use it on venues where more than 1 or 2 carp in a session is likely as it starts getting rather lively once fish get to the 4-5lb mark.

solwood

Site Supporter
Had an acolyte ultra and talked about it on here before. For me it's a very much a small fish rid and a trick pony. if you feel the plus is too powerful it may be right for you

The plus I am happy to use with 20 hook and 1lb hook link. For silvers I use the plus or if bigger fish are very unlikely a Harrison GTI or MAP Dave Harrel spliced tip (same blank)

Philnun87

Haven't you answered your own question then regarding a Drennan rod |? It can only be an Ultra if a Plus is a bit stiff/powerful for you.
I just wondered if other people felt it bumped fish, or whether they felt it was ok for solvers. I was thinking of selling my plus and getting an ultra but was keen to get some opinions from others

trotter2

Hi Trotter2

Thank you. Would you still use the Plus for fishing a waggler in winter for skimmers, roach etc?

cheers

Phil
Yes absolutely why not its a standard match rod .You will always bump a few fish regardless of whatever acolyte you use . That's fishing mate.
If your loosing a lot of fish it could be your technique and not the rod. My first advice would be try a diffrent hook pattern and work your way back from the hook,line, shotting pattern float and so on.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Had an acolyte ultra and talked about it on here before. For me it's a very much a small fish rid and a trick pony. if you feel the plus is too powerful it may be right for you

The plus I am happy to use with 20 hook and 1lb hook link. For silvers I use the plus or if bigger fish are very unlikely a Harrison GTI or MAP Dave Harrel spliced tip (same blank)

I had the same feeling about the Plus, that it was a brilliant all around float rod ideal too for light lines. The Ultra was more a light match rod ideal as mentioned for fish to 4/5lb.

richox12

I just wondered if other people felt it bumped fish, or whether they felt it was ok for solvers. I was thinking of selling my plus and getting an ultra but was keen to get some opinions from others
I guess it depends on what method you are using and what the swim/venue is like rather than just the target species. For example, I would think the Plus better than an Ultra when fishing for roach when using a large Avon float in flowing water. Whereas the Ultra would, to me, be much better suited to soft mouthed skimmers on a lake. If you're bagging and swinging fish to hand in a bit of a 'fish race' i'd think the Plus better whereas fishing very fine when bites are at a premium and so netting most fish regardless i'd think the Ultra better. Different rods for different jobs but same target species.