Lift-method bottom shot

mariner

Hi, I am planning to fish the lift method set-up with the bulk weight being a single shot a few inches from the hook. I am concerned about damage to the line on the hooklength from this shot. As I use hooks tied to nylon I cant see how I can use in line olivettes which look a better option. Is this likely to cause a problem and if so what do people use for this shot? I really cant see me going down the road of tying my own hooks which would allow me to use olivettes. Are there any larger soft shot available or alternatives?

mariner

The pole float tubing sounds good but sorry if this sounds a bit thick but how do I get it onto the line on ready tied hooks? Do I cut the loop off and thread it through and re-tie the loop as per fugley-fisher's post presumably?

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
You can thread some line in the tube round the loop of of the hooklenth then back through the tube and pull.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Double your line over by about 8 inches. Tie a small loop for your hooklength, then a bigger loop above it. Place the shot on the tag end length of line in the loop not on the load bearing mainline.

BoldBear

If you either place your single shot onto a small loop of line using a leger stop to stop it sliding down to the hook; or use the method in the linked Drennan article below then your problem is solved.

Also if you use a shot that’s not too large and is only just capable of dipping your float under then the float will share the weight of your single shot as it’s lifted by the Tench (see diagram below).

LiftBite.jpg

Keith

mariner

Certainly wouldnt be the first time I've overthought things. Thanks for reminding me , I go fishing to relax, I need to remember that!!

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Cut the hooklengths down to whatever length is useful.

Pinch the shot onto silicone if you're worried. Thread the silicone up the mainline first (as it'll be a single strand cut with scissors to get a clean end) and then slide down over the joining knots to your hooklength to however close you want them. Or do what I do and have several short pieces ready threaded onto a very fine splicing needle so you can attach to whatever line in a couple of seconds without fiddling about.

Use Lock & Slide Olivettes for the bulk AND large dropper if you want (0.1g, 0.2g, 0.3g etc for dropper). No damage at all. Yes, one might ping off when going through weed so just put another on after you've got the fish. At least it won't break/damage your line.