Life In The Old Shakey Box Yet

Team KDB

Keep it 👍,got rid of mine with the full octoplus kit 2 years ago after nearly 35 years of abuse on rivers and still waters and regret that decision every time I load the car 🙁

Simon R

Site Supporter
1980 I got one of these

Image00001.jpg

That's the box and not the young lady modelling it :p

Still got it in the shed and it's now used as my mouse proof groundbait / pellet store

Added the Octoplus gear to it and it was still being used until 1996 - surviving not only trips to Ireland but also numerous coach trips where gear was not always treated with the care the owner expected.

Upgraded via a couple of Little Gems (one of which I also still have) to the original 5 drawer Preston OnBox in 2005 and that in turn was superseded by the MAP H30Comp at the back end of 2017 - the box I'm currently using.

Simon

Deejay8

Site Supporter
1980 I got one of these

Image00001.jpg

Still got it in the shed and it's now used as my mouse proof groundbait / pellet store

Added the Octoplus gear to it and it was still being used until 1996 - surviving not only trips to Ireland but also numerous coach trips where gear was not always treated with the care the owner expected.

Upgraded via a couple of Little Gems (one of which I also still have) to the original 5 drawer Preston OnBox in 2005 and that in turn was superseded by the MAP H30Comp at the back end of 2017 - the box I'm currently using.

Simon
That looks like a quality box. The advertising with the young lady modelling it, is definitely of it's time. And who knew that Benny, Bjorn, Frida and Agnetha had branched out into making angling products in the early 1980s?

BBear

Site Supporter
1980 I got one of these

Image00001.jpg

Simon
Blimey I can remember that advert - I had a rival box though, can’t remember the make?

Simon R

Site Supporter
The company who made it (Alpha Marine) were actually builders of small GRP boats - up to about 17 feet - one of their smaller rowing boats is probably still in the boathouse down at our old club lake.

Laidler Steels 2011 004.jpg

A couple of the company directors were anglers and after seeing the Brennan & Hickman GRP box (which came with a B&H price tag :p ) decided they could make and sell one that would be considerably cheaper. It ended up a little larger and - if you picked one up direct from the factory - or got the aforementioned directors, who just so happened to be on the committee of my club, to fetch one along to a monthly meeting - almost ten quid cheaper.

The box was also reviewed in Coarse Fisherman

Image00002.jpg

I should perhaps point out that at the time one of the company directors was the late Mike Winney - who also happened to be features editor on Coarse Fisherman. One slight problem with all the plastic and GRP boxes at the time was that they floated when empty, so if, as mentioned in the above review above, you were in the habit of standing your box in the water you either had to leave tackle inside it or, as some did, drill small holes in the corners to let the water in.

Simon

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
I gave mine to a mates lad about twenty years ago and got a Little Gem box which I’ve still got but not used for years. I keep thinking about doing a repair shop type job on it but I‘m happy using my Korum seat these days.

Attachments

• CD6BC2A0-368C-412F-BDD0-02038337E9D6.jpeg
    CD6BC2A0-368C-412F-BDD0-02038337E9D6.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 15

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a Little Gem with Octoplus legs and mud feet and it was a brilliant box for the rivers - I sold it and regretted it the first time I tried to take my new then OnBox for a hike down the banks of the river Wharfe

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
I had a Little Gem with Octoplus legs and mud feet and it was a brilliant box for the rivers - I sold it and regretted it the first time I tried to take my new then OnBox for a hike down the banks of the river Wharfe
As you can see by the pic I used my Little Gem a lot.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I'm still on my old Team Diawa seat box that has two clip on side trays and a large take out tub that sits in the box. It's ruddy brilliant, and weighs nothing unloaded. I'm not going to be swapping it for something modern just yet as there is nothing available to replace it. It carries all the reels, catapults, shot, floats, hooks, feeders, towels, tubs, tools and everything terminal wise that is needed for the day. It now has a padded cushion courtesy of Midwater...
Pure, simple and does the job. Given that I now just concentrate on commercials that have pretty good flat platforms to fish from I do not have to worry about sloping banks either.
Must take some pics on the next outing... An MD sticker would look great on it... Just saying...:whistle:

Chervil

Site Supporter
I regret selling mine. I miss it.
As I said mine hadn't been used for a couple of decades and was just gathering dust on a shelf in the garage. I did put it on here as a freebie last summer. However the member who wanted it, couldn't get down to pick it up in the end. So I'd rather it went to somewhere useful. We had a load of stuff to take in, my wife used to volunteer in the shop, so the manageress, opened up before non-essential shops were allowed to open. Hopefully it will go to a good home and Cancer Research will make a few quid.

baboboy

Site Supporter
I'm still on my old Team Diawa seat box that has two clip on side trays and a large take out tub that sits in the box. It's ruddy brilliant, and weighs nothing unloaded. I'm not going to be swapping it for something modern just yet as there is nothing available to replace it. It carries all the reels, catapults, shot, floats, hooks, feeders, towels, tubs, tools and everything terminal wise that is needed for the day. It now has a padded cushion courtesy of Midwater...
Pure, simple and does the job. Given that I now just concentrate on commercials that have pretty good flat platforms to fish from I do not have to worry about sloping banks either.
Must take some pics on the next outing... An MD sticker would look great on it... Just saying...:whistle:
https://www.maggotdrowning.com/store/stickers lol

breadflake

Site Supporter
Started with a box made from a Danset record player then efecco ? vinyl wrapped plywood box and now since 1990s the shakey box :D