Life In The Old Shakey Box Yet

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Well 38 years after I got my Shakespeare Team Box for Christmas in 1983, I'm still adding to it. I've just got a second hand internal storage box for it, that fits under the lid, which will allow me to store lots of bits of terminal tackle. I've already got the Top Box and a pole cushion fitted to it. Later this year, I'm going to get a Penrose barrow platform with the PUPPS system on it, so the box can sit at the back of it, with the front part of the platform acting as a footplate. And then I'll get the ultimate accessory for it, a Maggotdrowners sticker. I always loved my old box, and I could probably get a proper seat box for the money I've spent on my old plastic tub, but I just like the idea of it seeing me through my angling life. I still remember how thrilled I was to get it for Christmas all of those years ago.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Well 38 years after I got my Shakespeare Team Box for Christmas in 1983, I'm still adding to it. I've just got a second hand internal storage box for it, that fits under the lid, which will allow me to store lots of bits of terminal tackle. I've already got the Top Box and a pole cushion fitted to it. Later this year, I'm going to get a Penrose barrow platform with the PUPPS system on it, so the box can sit at the back of it, with the front part of the platform acting as a footplate. And then I'll get the ultimate accessory for it, a Maggotdrowners sticker. I always loved my old box, and I could probably get a proper seat box for the money I've spent on my old plastic tub, but I just like the idea of it seeing me through my angling life. I still remember how thrilled I was to get it for Christmas all of those years ago.
I’ve still got my Shakespeare Premier box, down in the cellar. It’s not quite as old as yours but it’s not far off 30 years old. Still got the Octoplus legs on it. They were good boxes, very light to carry and the side drawers were handy. I used mine when I started up again for a few years then bought a Matchbox S4. No shame in rocking the original Shaky box imho!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just got a second hand internal storage box for it, that fits under the lid, which will allow me to store lots of bits of terminal tackle.
One of these?

1615389500228.png

Proper handy bit of kit, my brother in law is still using one along with the shaky box with Octoplus legs that I passed on to him 25 years ago. ;)

Deejay8

Site Supporter
One of these?

1615389500228.png

Proper handy bit of kit, my brother in law is still using one along with the shaky box with Octoplus legs that I passed on to him 25 years ago. ;)
That's the one. It's got loads of storage space in it. I've noticed that the old Shakespeare/Galaxy/Daiwa plastic box still lives on in the tackle shops, but now made by the budget makes like Grandeslam, Advanta and Avanti. Even Shakespeare have introduced a completely new but very similar box, and in the iconic blue colour.

david white

Site Supporter
Can’t beat them imho got both version ( large and a bit smaller if I hadn’t had them so long I’d possibly remember what the were called ‘ team and beta ‘ maybe ! )
Also got a ‘ matchbox ‘ style box from back in the day bought second hand and still haven't got around to use it ( maybe after the restrictions are lifted, perhaps, well maybe then again maybe not )

david white

Site Supporter
I still got 2 of the boxes that clip/hang over the side
Boxes or trays I’ve got a few of the trays kicking about somewhere seem to remember them not fitting so well with the octoplus levelling system in place ! I’ll have to look them out and check

62tucker

Site Supporter
Boxes or trays I’ve got a few of the trays kicking about somewhere seem to remember them not fitting so well with the octoplus levelling system in place ! I’ll have to look them out and check
Trays. Also a black float box that fits perfectly in there. Not sure if it’s a accessory for it or just a float box

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I had the internal box as well...great bit of kit. Gave both the Shakey box & the top box away to a friend's son, a few years ago.
My mate still uses his with Octoplus legs & the Top Box.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
My shakey is used purely for salt water angling,

you can squish the pebbles down with it so it sits rock solid, holds all my sea gear and has been adapted over the years, have even got a conversion kit that makes it into a rucksack type thing

Nasha

Mines in a pile ready for the dump which I have a slot booked for tomorrow. This thread is making me question my choices...

stephenk

Site Supporter
Mines in a pile ready for the dump which I have a slot booked for tomorrow. This thread is making me question my choices...
Dont skip it - great for storing groundbait, or even a wormery in the garden !

BBear

Site Supporter
Tough as old boots. I’ve been using the Shakespeare Beta box for my sea fishing for over 20 years with the backrest/rucksack conversion and it’s been thoroughly used and abused - rocks, sand, mud, in the sea, etc and still perfect. I have a feeling that Shakespeare no longer sell them but the company that actually make them sell them through Daiwa now instead (I could be wrong).

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve still got my Shakespeare Premier box, down in the cellar. It’s not quite as old as yours but it’s not far off 30 years old. Still got the Octoplus legs on it. They were good boxes, very light to carry and the side drawers were handy. I used mine when I started up again for a few years then bought a Matchbox S4. No shame in rocking the original Shaky box imho!
I had one of these, if it's the same thing, an upgrade from the original Shakespeare box and it had a compartment under the seat in the lid plus two side drawers. Fitted with an Octoplus kit and it was the dogs danglies.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I had one of these, if it's the same thing, an upgrade from the original Shakespeare box and it had a compartment under the seat in the lid plus two side drawers. Fitted with an Octoplus kit and it was the dogs danglies.
Yes, that’s the one. It was a darker blue than the typical shakey bright, light blue. So much storage room in them and they were very light, even with the Octoplus kit fitted. I had mine for Christmas around 94 I think, had the matching rod bag and net bag too. Felt like a proper match man in my junior matches! Not long after that people started going for Conti boxes, like them there foreign anglers had 😂

david white

Site Supporter

Skip it !! wash your mouth out man ! ! 😢

Seriously unless you are absolutely strapped for space hang on to it, failing that give it to an up and coming youngster ( plenty of new anglers about at the moment )

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Unless it's damaged, I wouldn't throw it out. They are still a good box. If you have no use for it, then give it away or sell it. They are very popular with the sea anglers, due to their robustness.

Nasha

I didn't know they were held in such high regard. Even though mines pretty battered up after 25 years of manhandling it could still do a job, which is testament to they're durability. It will be suitably rehomed (y)