Life couldn't get any better, then it did!!! Avon revisited

Ausho

I was itching to get back on the Avon at the brook section. After what I saw the last time I was there had me thinking I need a big perch in my life, may be a nice pike but definitely a big barbel. I had seen big barbel in this one peg on the last visit. So that was where I was going to start. The longest day was going to be a long days fishing. With the sun beating down shade was essential. My usual tactics was adopted, Elips pellets glued to a hair a gentle swing down stream into the current. I settled down to watching the river from under a shady willow. There appeared to be a bit of extra water pushing through but the river was gin clear. The black mud that had been trodden in showed it had been well fished since the start of the season. I was thinking have they had too much pressure over the last couple of days. The lack of action had me thinking this may be the case.
After an hour I moved upstream to the next peg and just watched without fishing. There was chub a plenty, then from out of the downstream shadow came two beasts. Wow they were two of the biggest barbel I had ever seen. They were clearly a cock and a hen in spawning mood, well the cock was he was keeping tight to her side. Where ever she went he did as well. It was great to witness the scene but it wasn't putting a bend in the rod. So if barbel are not in the mood what about the pike and perch I had seen. As it happened two lads came past after chatting for awhile they were new members after any advice. But it was something they said that intrigued me. These guys were brothers one of which had fished the day before and had a 2lb perch. My best was 1lb 12oz so that inspired me to leave the barbel alone and go hunting a big perch or the pike that had bitten me off last time I fished. The search was a fruitless one I couldn't locate either. But I did see more barbel that were in a feeding mood not as big as the earlier ones. The peg was on the inside of a sharp bend and a good 6ft off the water but manageable. I would say there was a couple of barbel around the 6 to 7 mark and a couple of chub to 3lb and plenty of small stuff around. I tried a medusa of maggots on a size 10 hook that just got demolished by the the bits that zoned in on it, so back to the pellets. Three good hand fulls of loose mixed pellets were attacked as well falling to the bottom, but sufficient made it down. No matter what I did to intercept barbel or chub they were just not having it. I even tried float fishing a stick with maggots, just a string of small dace,roach and chublets to show for it but entertaining all the same. It was getting on towards 3.30pm, feeling a little frustrated but hey that's fishing I started to make my way back towards the carpark. Do I? or don't I. Oh go on then, I'll have one more go in the first peg. A well cast swing downstream to the tail end of the rippled surface avoiding the over hanging branch gave me some satisfaction. Put the rod in the rests got comfortable and bang!!. Almost straight away I had a barbel twitch of exaggerated proportions grabbing the rod I was glad I had slackened the clutch off a little and also glad of the 10lb line I had added to my reel when setting up. I was connected to something special and so it proved. After a five minute battle struggling to know where the fish was in the shadow of the willow. It made its way up in front of me into the sunshine and I saw it for the first time kiting across slightly angled away from me giving me a great view of beast. Four more barbel appeared in attendance but nowhere as big as this one. Three lunges at the surface brought it to the net is it going to go in? Will it fit? It thankfully folded into the net. OMG this to me was a donkey. I quickly unhooked it left in the net removed the handle and put it on the scales 11lb 12oz minus a 1lb for the net. My first double 10lb 12oz to say I was buzzing was an under statement. Leaving it in the the net, I reconnected the handle and left in the side to recover. Dashing back up the river to find the brothers. Can you come and take a picture of this fish? I don't think I even said please, so excited that I was. Well it's not every day you get a PB barbel. The lads were only to pleased to do so. It was the biggest they had seen, the one brother having never caught one said "That's it I coming tomorrow with my new barbel rod". Photos taken she was returned safely. Can life get any better Yes It can!!!

Attachments

• 1655969141496_20220621_160130.jpg
    1655969141496_20220621_160130.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 1655969148810_20220621_160957.jpg
    1655969148810_20220621_160957.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 1655969147670_20220621_160953.jpg
    1655969147670_20220621_160953.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 1655969137487_20220621_105010.jpg
    1655969137487_20220621_105010.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 46

smiffy

Site Supporter
Wow. Great catch. Well done.
Im so envious of you lads that have rivers that flow.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That river looks lovely and the fish more than the icing on the cake! Well angled mate.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Brilliant stuff, I enjoyed reading that. All these reports are making me want to fish every day!

Well done on the PB, a great start to the season.

Ausho

Thanks for the nice comments, I m still buzzing. There is’nt huge shoals there from what I have seen. But it poses a challenge with it being so clear at the moment. A big pike or perch would do nicely as well. I know they are there.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I was itching to get back on the Avon at the brook section. After what I saw the last time I was there had me thinking I need a big perch in my life, may be a nice pike but definitely a big barbel. I had seen big barbel in this one peg on the last visit. So that was where I was going to start. The longest day was going to be a long days fishing. With the sun beating down shade was essential. My usual tactics was adopted, Elips pellets glued to a hair a gentle swing down stream into the current. I settled down to watching the river from under a shady willow. There appeared to be a bit of extra water pushing through but the river was gin clear. The black mud that had been trodden in showed it had been well fished since the start of the season. I was thinking have they had too much pressure over the last couple of days. The lack of action had me thinking this may be the case.
After an hour I moved upstream to the next peg and just watched without fishing. There was chub a plenty, then from out of the downstream shadow came two beasts. Wow they were two of the biggest barbel I had ever seen. They were clearly a cock and a hen in spawning mood, well the cock was he was keeping tight to her side. Where ever she went he did as well. It was great to witness the scene but it wasn't putting a bend in the rod. So if barbel are not in the mood what about the pike and perch I had seen. As it happened two lads came past after chatting for awhile they were new members after any advice. But it was something they said that intrigued me. These guys were brothers one of which had fished the day before and had a 2lb perch. My best was 1lb 12oz so that inspired me to leave the barbel alone and go hunting a big perch or the pike that had bitten me off last time I fished. The search was a fruitless one I couldn't locate either. But I did see more barbel that were in a feeding mood not as big as the earlier ones. The peg was on the inside of a sharp bend and a good 6ft off the water but manageable. I would say there was a couple of barbel around the 6 to 7 mark and a couple of chub to 3lb and plenty of small stuff around. I tried a medusa of maggots on a size 10 hook that just got demolished by the the bits that zoned in on it, so back to the pellets. Three good hand fulls of loose mixed pellets were attacked as well falling to the bottom, but sufficient made it down. No matter what I did to intercept barbel or chub they were just not having it. I even tried float fishing a stick with maggots, just a string of small dace,roach and chublets to show for it but entertaining all the same. It was getting on towards 3.30pm, feeling a little frustrated but hey that's fishing I started to make my way back towards the carpark. Do I? or don't I. Oh go on then, I'll have one more go in the first peg. A well cast swing downstream to the tail end of the rippled surface avoiding the over hanging branch gave me some satisfaction. Put the rod in the rests got comfortable and bang!!. Almost straight away I had a barbel twitch of exaggerated proportions grabbing the rod I was glad I had slackened the clutch off a little and also glad of the 10lb line I had added to my reel when setting up. I was connected to something special and so it proved. After a five minute battle struggling to know where the fish was in the shadow of the willow. It made its way up in front of me into the sunshine and I saw it for the first time kiting across slightly angled away from me giving me a great view of beast. Four more barbel appeared in attendance but nowhere as big as this one. Three lunges at the surface brought it to the net is it going to go in? Will it fit? It thankfully folded into the net. OMG this to me was a donkey. I quickly unhooked it left in the net removed the handle and put it on the scales 11lb 12oz minus a 1lb for the net. My first double 10lb 12oz to say I was buzzing was an under statement. Leaving it in the the net, I reconnected the handle and left in the side to recover. Dashing back up the river to find the brothers. Can you come and take a picture of this fish? I don't think I even said please, so excited that I was. Well it's not every day you get a PB barbel. The lads were only to pleased to do so. It was the biggest they had seen, the one brother having never caught one said "That's it I coming tomorrow with my new barbel rod". Photos taken she was returned safely. Can life get any better Yes It can!!!
Super fish and report 👌, well done

Ausho

Yes it is the Warwickshire Avon near Hampton Lucy A stretch I saw and fell in love with straight away last year.