Life’s a Happy Song - one step closer to a target

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fished the weir near me on the stick this morning as planned after a session on Worm yesterday evening when small fish kept smashing the bait. Fished from 6 till 12 when the showers started and I think if I’d fished a couple more hours I would have made my target weight of 10lb of Silvers from a river.

Fished 3 maggots on a size 16 hook on a 5no4 stick float just on the inside crease next to the weir.
Ended up with a nice mixed bag of Chublets, Roach, Dace, and one Perch for 8lb4oz.

2020-08-23 11.55.09.jpg

Lost one bigger fish, probably a big Perch to a snag, and got snagged then bitten off by a Pike. So none of the bigger Chub showed but all in all a good day, and I’m glad I now have that kind of fishing on my doorstep as I’ve said before, there weren’t that many small silvers in this pool last year.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds and looks like a good session. There’s certainly a few decent ones in there 👍🏻

That’s proper made me regret not fishing this morning just couldn’t bring myself to get wind blasted but wish I had now as you’ve wet my appetite! Still got a decent forecast for the bank holiday weekend so will get out then.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers mate. Good thing about this place is it is surrounded by high banks so no wind even when it's windy, although it seemed quite calm here today! Not much a run through with the stick as just fishing along the edge of an eddy down the edge but easily manageable so I'll be doing it a lot more there.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbf it’s not turned out as bad as forecast here either but didn’t look good at 6 so I wimped out lol

Great for you to have that spot so close to you I wish the Thames was a bit closer to me. I mean it’s only 20-30 minutes depending on the stretch but you got to be there early to get a good swim which is fine when you’ve planned a session but not so great for impromptu trips.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
17ft rod and it was a joy to use so thank you! Flicking out a stick with the 17ft took me comfortably on the edge of the crease where it's about 4 foot deep. Not a bad depth I don't think for a small weir pool as it quickly shallows up again to a shallow stream at the end of the pool. It was gin clear yesterday but many of these fish, me being the only one I've seen float fishing there, have probably never seen a hook before.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Nice net matey. Maybe try two or three caster on the hook next time. Might nab a few bigger ones.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's a bloke that always fishes there and has done maintenance on the peg, I have seen him climb trees to chop branches down then wade into the pool to get them out, who swears by caster for the bigger fish in there. This might have been back when there was less smaller fish in there as it's teeming with them at the moment and they smash anything, certainly worth a try! I'm going to try punch and bread mash there too as another way of hoping the usual big chub show!

Cheers for all likes and nice comments!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Fished the weir near me on the stick this morning as planned after a session on Worm yesterday evening when small fish kept smashing the bait. Fished from 6 till 12 when the showers started and I think if I’d fished a couple more hours I would have made my target weight of 10lb of Silvers from a river.

Fished 3 maggots on a size 16 hook on a 5no4 stick float just on the inside crease next to the weir.
Ended up with a nice mixed bag of Chublets, Roach, Dace, and one Perch for 8lb4oz.

View attachment 40089

Lost one bigger fish, probably a big Perch to a snag, and got snagged then bitten off by a Pike. So none of the bigger Chub showed but all in all a good day, and I’m glad I now have that kind of fishing on my doorstep as I’ve said before, there weren’t that many small silvers in this pool last year.

Now isn't that nicer than a half dozen pigs from a pig pond?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What was nice about it too, no Bleak about lol, as I'd set myself that target for the Severn originally but seem to catch more Bleak than anything. It will be winter soon which is when I go back to commercial for Carp, can sit on my backside and fish a feeder. :LOL:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
best time for roach on the Severn (and many other venues) is from October onwards - obviously dependent on the state of the river.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Will give me another option when it gets cold then! Hopefully this weir still holds fish over winter too.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Still reckon you’ll get your 10lb in summer easily if you can find a severn stretch that works with hemp. Takes a lot less fish to do it when they are say 3-8oz hemp fish rather than say 2-5oz fish on maggot.