Licence evasion costs 6 men 1,030

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I thought some of you would like this story:

Fishing without licences and related charges cost six men 1,030 in fines and costs at Hereford Magistrates Court on 21 May 2002 in cases brought by Environment Agency Wales. In offences relating to the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 four of the men also had fishing equipment forfeited.

Stuart Dixon of Edgar Street, Hereford pleaded guilty to fishing without a licence at Church Pool, Clehonger, Hereford on 6 August 2001. He was fined 50 with 55 costs.

Andrew Jones of Alexander Avenue, College Estate, Hereford was found guilty in his absence of being in possession of unlicensed equipment for fishing on the River Lugg on 4 September 2001. He was fined 80 with 55 costs and had two rods forfeited.

Gareth Morgan of Pont-bryn-Hunt Cottages, Brecon Road, Crickhowell was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a licence at Tillington Lake, Hereford on 13 July 2001. He was fined 80 with 125 costs and had his rod forfeited.

Robert Purnell of Etnam Street, Leominster was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a licence at Tillington Lake, Hereford on 7 September 2001. He was fined 100. He was fined an additional 200 for wilfully obstructing a water bailliff in the execution of his duty contrary to Section 89(2) of the Police Act 1996.

David Rigden of Boyle Close, Malpas, Newport pleaded guilty to fishing without a licence in the River Wye near Wilton Bridge, Ross-on-Wye on 30 September 2001. He was fined 75 with a further 50 for failing to state his name and address. His rod and reel were also forfeited.

Andrew Russ of Mount Pleasant Court, Limekiln Road, Pontnewynydd, Pontypool, Gwent was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a licence at Biddlestone Lake, Llangarron, Ross-on-Wye on 20 September 2001. He was fined 80 with costs of 80 and his rod and reel were forfeited.

After the cases an Agency spokesperson said: " It is essential that fishermen purchase a licence before starting to fish. Licences are from all Post Offices in England and Wales. The Agency will rigorously pursue those persons who flout the law in this manner at the expense of those who fish lawfully."

- Dave

waxlion1

Quite right too!

Waxlion1

Polepot

Poles
Fines - Seam a bit light to me 100 quid and lose a rod against 21 for a license.

The penalty is not enough for asshole2.gif such as these

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Edited by - polepot on 26 May 2002 10:42:44 PM

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Poles i'm with you mate the penalty is not high enough, its possible some of theese morons have got away with no licence for years, so its worked out an advantage to flout the law, make the penalty higher and the risk becomes too high. hanged.gif

teepee.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you think that the maximum fine available is 2,500,the size of fines imposed is quite pathetic.
A few maximums dished out,and well advertised would surely get the message across more effectivly.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

darryl

they should all have been fined the maximum it might have set a example for all the rest of the dodges....darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

mookie

mookie
icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif Well you know my thoughts on these so called anglers...why does the EA not donate all there gear to Elvington fishin ?? and other good causes then take the cheats to the top of a hill and do something really horrible to them.... machinegun.gif then maybe do a bit of this rocket.gif and finally we can all jump.gif and praise the lord that something better has to be done to stop these cheats.....

Cheers lads.......Mook
Founder of B.L.C.F.L campaign Ban license cheats for life and then rocket.gif the buggars.....
Also a menber of the clean banks campaign.......

martin.

Account Locked
hi i compleatly agree with mookie well said
dave why not forward these opinions to EA

tight lines.
martin.

scouse

'River Man'
HI LADS
here are another eight licence dogders
who did`nt get there just desserts
Thursday 30th May 2002
EIGHT anglers who tried to avoid paying 21 for rod licences have received fines and costs of up to 230 at Dartford Magistrates Court.

The prosecutions were the result of checks in the Dartford area in February and March and come as we await the results of a publicised nationwide blitz on illegal fishing last weekend.

In a similar crackdown during the Bank Holiday at the beginning of May, EA officers checked 1675 anglers and 137 could not produce valid licences when asked.

Steven James (20) of Goldcrest Close, Thamesmead, London was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence on February 17 at Brooklands Lake, Dartford. Mr James was fined 150 and had costs of 80 awarded against him.

Sam Cable (22) of Cygnet Gardens, Northfleet, Kent and Daniel Chandler (32) of Dorchester Close, Dartford, pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a valid rod licence on the same date at the same venue. They were fined 100 and had costs of 80 awarded against them.

Kevin Clarke (20) of Attlee Drive, Dartford, Kent pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a licence on February 8 at Cotton Farm, Dartford. Mr Clarke was fined 100 and had costs of 80 awarded against him.

Gareth Philpott (21) of Hampton Court, Stelling Road, Erith, Kent was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence on March 7 this year at Brooklands Lake. Mr Philpott was fined 150 and had costs of 80 awarded against him.

Melvyn Thomas (33) of Beaver Road, Allington, Maidstone, Kent pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a valid rod licence on the same date and at the same venue. He was fined 100 and had costs of 80 awarded against him.

Steven Sweetingham (23) of North Crescent, Southend on Sea pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a valid rod licence on February 22 again at Brooklands Lake. He was fined 50 and had costs of 80 awarded against him.

Ian Walkling (37) of Oakley Drive, New Eltham, London was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence on the same date again at Brooklands. He was fined 150 and had costs of 380 awarded against him.

Jim Roden, from the Agencys Legal Team said: "Its so easy to get hold of a rod licence, either from the local post office, over the phone or even from the EA's website. Its hard to understand why so many people take the risk; its just not worth it. Fishing without a rod licence really is a false economy you will get caught - its that simple.

"The Rod Licence system is an important means of financing the valuable work that the Agencys Fisheries team does to maintain and develop fish stocks, the riverbank and investing in fishing for urban areas. Avoiding paying the rod licence fee is simply robbing your fellow angler."

The full non-migratory trout and coarse licences for 2002/2003 costs 21 for 12 months and a concessionary licence for senior and eligible disabled anglers is 10.50. Last year the Agency cut the price of the junior coarse and trout licence to 5 and this, they say, has been very successful in encouraging youngsters to take up the sport.

dave
scouse

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
My views on licence cheats have been published on a different site.

I think it is about time the Owners of the waters where the licence dodgers are caught were charged with aiding and abetting them. Why can't they check rod licences on issue of a day or season ticket.

No rod licence no fishing.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Del-J

' Victor '
Could not agree with you more Geoff. icon_smile_approve.gif
A rod licence should have to be produced before you can buy club membership, or a day ticket. This would be a little bit awkward sometimes when the ticket is bought on the bank as we all know there are some "funny" folk about.
As for the fines well they are just ludicrous. What is 150 to most people nowdays? I am the last one to want to drive people away from fishing, BUT the fines handed out have got to be a deterent and at the moment they are not. icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Polepot

Poles
I agree with all the sentiments above but howabout this for an idea.

If the fishery ticket were to include the cost of a licence within it and this could be waved if you produce your licence.

Proactive policy not reactive.

Work for the EA No because they would then only be looking at baliffing the non commercial waters.

Now shoot me down in flamethrower2.gif

Poles

scouse

'River Man'
hi lads
i brought up the matter about checking rod licences
with the owner of a place i fish
all he said was its not his job to check licences,
if thats his attitude and people fish his place
without a licence and are caught he should be fined as well
just a thought

dave
scouse

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally I think that there is a lot of complacency where the rod licences are concerned and the biggest culprits are the EA in my opinion.
They spend god knows how many pounds advertising with Chris Tarrant on TV but fail to uphold the laws regarding the use of licences and take the 'gentle' approach to the odd few that they catch out.
I know that the arguements are that they don't have the staff to be everywhere at all times but do they need to be?

Lets look at the 'average' angler's day fishing:

- Firstly, plans his/her day out
- Secondly, a trip to the tackle shop for a few bits and bait
- Third, tops car up and goes to destination
- Fourth, arrives at fishery for a day's fishing and buys a ticket if not already holding a season ticket or prior bought ticket (tackle shop)

Here you have two areas where rod licences could be checked or acquired. The tackle shop and the fishery.

The tackle shops no longer have the option to sell licences so should they care?
The fishery as Scouse says is only interested in selling their tickets. They are not likely to turn away custom for the sake of a licence.

Maybe if tackle shops could sell and advertise rod licences more anglers would buy them, even day ones, and as for the fisheries maybe they should also be responsible to some degree in checking licences before allowing fishing.

Putting things into perspective, there are many avenues out there to ensure that anglers have licences but very little are used other than the EA baliff who when if he does appear is a rarity.

Just my sentiments, Dave

scouse

'River Man'
hi lads
if you read my topic
it says 1675 licences were checked last bank holiday
i was under the impression we have 4 million anglers in the uk
not a very good average is it,
if they dont have the resoursers to check licences
pull them off the dole and give them a job,
instead of paying the likes of jack charlton mega bucks
to do a radio program,

dave
scouse

Beebs

I restart my fishing this weekend after a break of 12 years. I have just returned from the post office with a brand spanking new rod licence valid for 12 months. 21 it cost, doesn't exactly break the bank does it? They should enforce more maximum penalties merely as a deterrent or it could go the way of car insurance, where in some cases, it costs less to go to court for having none than it does to buy the insurance in the first place. Fines should be a geniune punishment not a minor inconvenience.

devil-king.gif

Polepot

Poles
I have been fishing for 45 years.
In that time I have had my licence checked 3 times.

I feel the risk of being caught is so small that people are certain that the risk is worth it. The only way this can be tackled is to make the penality heavy. So despite the size of the risk it is not worth taking.

Based upon my own experience if I had taken the risk and on each of the three occasions been fined, my fishing would still have cost me far less for taking the risk.

This cannot be allowed to go on

Poles

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
This actually came from the mouth of an 'angler' who fishes without a licence - "I ain't got twenty-one quid to lay out for a days fishing"

The interpretation of that is when he wants to go fishing he has not got an extra 21 that he can spend just like that on a piece of paper that day.
Knowing that the likelyhood of being asked for it is minimal why spend the money.

Maybe a saving scheme such as stamps could be introduced, whereupon the cost could be spread over the months prior to the end of March?

- Would be evader goes to tackle shop and buys a savings stamp 1, maggots and what ever else, and sticks it onto his EA card alongside the others that he bought the previous visits. Come April he trades his 21 stamps in for a new licence.

Just a thought, then again icon_smile.gif

Dave

(And my 1000th post icon_smile_big.gif)

Status
Not open for further replies.