Lets talk Crucians

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You're both right. Bit of a mind fart bearing in mind I want to get the Carp I'm likely to hook in. 0.14 is more likely. But I don't think you need to go down to 0.10 or 0.12 at this place, could be wrong, I tie my hooks on the bank so it's no problem to scale down if I need to.

nejohn

Site Supporter
You're both right. Bit of a mind fart bearing in mind I want to get the Carp I'm likely to hook in. 0.14 is more likely. But I don't think you need to go down to 0.10 or 0.12 at this place, could be wrong, I tie my hooks on the bank so it's no problem to scale down if I need to.
I would use 0.12 hook length with a 14 or 16 if using bread or corn and an 18 or 20 for maggot/caster. Your Tri-cast excellence will certainly come into it's own if you hook one of the lumps

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I would use 0.12 hook length with a 14 or 16 if using bread or corn and an 18 or 20 for maggot/caster. Your Tri-cast excellence will certainly come into it's own if you hook one of the lumps
It's the lumps I worry about, there are as many 10lb+ Carp in there as there are Crucians, that's why I was going to start heavy and fine down if needed. The Tricast is an excellent Crucian rod as per the name, even a small Crucian puts a good bend in it, but when you hook a big carp the soft action comes into it's own I guess.

nejohn

Site Supporter
It's the lumps I worry about, there are as many 10lb+ Carp in there as there are Crucians, that's why I was going to start heavy and fine down if needed. The Tricast is an excellent Crucian rod as per the name, even a small Crucian puts a good bend in it, but when you hook a big carp the soft action comes into it's own I guess.
You will be surprised how much power there is down the blank of the excellence, my favourite short range crucian rod is an 11ft Rive soft actioned commercial waggler rod, it is similar to the excellence in that it is very soft in the tip but has quite a bit of power in the butt section

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You will be surprised how much power there is down the blank of the excellence, my favourite short range crucian rod is an 11ft Rive soft actioned commercial waggler rod, it is similar to the excellence in that it is very soft in the tip but has quite a bit of power in the butt section
I've had a few Carp on the Excellence and the rod bends right through to the butt, it took me a while to get used to that but I do like it as a rod now.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
That's an incredible fish! (y)
Thank you mate. I was quite nonchalant at the time as I just thought it was probably a hybrid of some sort. But the bailiff seemed to think they are true genuine crucians and it has many characteristics of a true crucian. I don’t know for sure but I’ll take it until someone tells me otherwise.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
78FBA67D-65B7-41B2-A9BA-33D8AE39878E.jpeg
I landed this 2lb 14oz crucian today on the method feeder with a groundbait/pellet mix and a 6mm pellet. I was actually targeting bream but this was a welcome surprise.
Clonker that! Would be a PB for me by at least 10oz! Did you get any bream?

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Clonker that! Would be a PB for me by at least 10oz! Did you get any bream?
Cheers bud - Just the one Bream of about 4lb. I tried a few different methods from a cage feeder, maggot feeder, pellet feeder but I only managed 2 fish both caught on the method. I did see 3 decent sized Bream belly up, so possibly they have just spawned or are about to..
This was over at Buscot park - very scenic waters and a more natural style lake.

6B697907-FE5A-44B7-A6EB-486FD3362E06.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cheers bud - Just the one Bream of about 4lb. I tried a few different methods from a cage feeder, maggot feeder, pellet feeder but I only managed 2 fish both caught on the method. I did see 3 decent sized Bream belly up, so possibly they have just spawned or are about to..
This was over at Buscot park - very scenic waters and a more natural style lake.

6B697907-FE5A-44B7-A6EB-486FD3362E06.jpeg
Ah yeah that’s the national trust place isn’t it? Supposed to be some nice bream, crucians and tench in there.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Ah yeah that’s the national trust place isn’t it? Supposed to be some nice bream, crucians and tench in there.
That’s the one yep - loads of carpers at the shallower end of the lake so I assume they must be of a decent size too. I headed to the far end which is deeper to have a go at the Bream. I did ask a few anglers there about the Tench but they seem fairly rare apparently.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Where the margins are suitable, my favourite method for crucians is to use punched bread, a pole float, a light rod and a centrepin reel.
Most important, I sit about 10 feet back from the water's edge, as long as I can see my float.
Works well for tench too, especially early mornings.
Onlookers may laugh, but you're not there to amuse onlookers, you're there to catch fish.