Lets talk Crucians

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had a Crucian at Furnace Mill in I think in January or it might have been the end of last year. Was on the feeder with a great big Dendra for the size of the fish on the hook hoping for Bream or Perch.

Here's a pic of it.

Crucian.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If I do ok there, enjoy it, and find the fishery ok this time I might make it a more regular thing as their albeit badly designed website advertises fish to 4lb+ o_O

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How deep is it off the rod tip?
On the peg I fished last time 3' tight to the edge and sloping off quick if I remember right to around 7' off the rod tip but on a big slope.

Hoping one end of the lake is a shallower bay though haven't fished it yet a lot of anglers seemed to be concentrated in that area.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah there's loads of reasonable sized Roach in there, had loads of them last time but enough Crucians to keep me interested.

Total

Site Supporter
Lovely looking little fish there. I don't think they are gravel pits but I'm not 100%. It's called Hurst Farm in Bridgnorth and looks to me like just dug out farm lakes. :unsure:

^^ Stunning.....:)(y)......Makes a note for when I'm next up in Bridgnorth.....:love:

JLK

Try using a pole float on the longer rods you have. I've done this using a 17ft rod fishing for roach off the rod tip before now in deep water in winter.
Could have used a pole but used the rods instead.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
^^ Stunning.....:)(y)......Makes a note for when I'm next up in Bridgnorth.....:love:
I've told this story before but I found out about it from a chap fishing at Himley Hall who told me the Crucians have all but disappeared there but there's this fishery, Hurst Farm, that's full of them.

I put the postcode in my sat nav and ended driving down a tiny little track for about two miles, ended up at the rear gate of the fishery and had to call the fishery owner for his dad to kindly open up that gate for me. Even when driving out the right way it's down a few lanes, so what I'm going to do this time is put the pub mentioned on their website directions on my sat nav first and approach it from that direction as it's in the middle of countryside.

It is a fairly nice looking place but quite unique to me given the depth and stock, there's no platforms around the lake I fished which makes it feel a bit more 'natural' but I think they've got a match lake and trout lake there too which I didn't see when I was there.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Anyone use punch for Crucians? Worth a try?
When we had waters with Crucians in them, many years ago now, bread flake was always the best bait. I see no reason why it shouldn’t work just as well now. Sweetcorn was the second favourite.
We never fished the lift for Crucians because you could sit there forever whilst they fannied around like Crucians do. We used to fish just on bottom and twitch the bait constantly. Bites were normally pretty positive.
We never had to worry about Carp so rigged up accordingly with small floats,light hooklengths and small hooks.

Total

Site Supporter
I've told this story before but I found out about it from a chap fishing at Himley Hall who told me the Crucians have all but disappeared there but there's this fishery, Hurst Farm, that's full of them.

I put the postcode in my sat nav and ended driving down a tiny little track for about two miles, ended up at the rear gate of the fishery and had to call the fishery owner for his dad to kindly open up that gate for me. Even when driving out the right way it's down a few lanes, so what I'm going to do this time is put the pub mentioned on their website directions on my sat nav first and approach it from that direction as it's in the middle of countryside.

It is a fairly nice looking place but quite unique to me given the depth and stock, there's no platforms around the lake I fished which makes it feel a bit more 'natural' but I think they've got a match lake and trout lake there too which I didn't see when I was there.
I know Bridgnorth and surrounding area (fishing venues wise) quite well having visited the area for a number of years.....'Hurst Farm' I've never heard of, God knows how we missed that venue and it's stunning!:love:

This might explain the reason for some of the lake depths.....(y)

Hurst Farm Lakes, Coarse & Fly Fishing, Bridgnorth, Shropshire

nejohn

Site Supporter
Smallish pieces of bread flake on size 14 or even a 16 hook with a no 8 shot about 6 inches from the hook, give the bite time to develop, definitely a case of sitting on your hands, you will eventually get a sail away, but you will still probably miss some bites and be wondering how.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I know Bridgnorth and surrounding area (fishing venues wise) quite well having visited the area for a number of years.....'Hurst Farm' I've never heard of, God knows how we missed that venue and it's stunning!:love:

This might explain the reason for some of the lake depths.....(y)

Hurst Farm Lakes, Coarse & Fly Fishing, Bridgnorth, Shropshire
I've only lived Bridgnorth way for about 3 years now (fishing for two of them) and so don't really know the area at all.

Still not fished the town waters on the Severn yet so that's another adventure.

Total

Site Supporter
I've only lived Bridgnorth way for about 3 years now (fishing for two of them) and so don't really know the area at all.

Still not fished the town waters on the Severn yet so that's another adventure.
^^(y).....Ya need to get your finger out then and explore your area more!:giggle:......You've some beautiful venues around your area and the Severn just around Bridgnorth holds enough fishing venues/areas to last one a lifetime on its own!:love:(y)

solwood

Site Supporter
I fish for crucian regularly at Marsh Farm and there definitely is the purist approach of delicate float tactics and the small method close in using a small wafter or pellet. Also the record crucians caught from Johnsons (there have been more than one) all came on method tactics.

I always start with 1 rod float and 1 method, undertow can be an issue. Invariably free running method outscores so switch to 2 methods a rod length out. Bites on method are fierce, float can be finicky. I go fishing to catch mot catch on the traditional method.

I use 0.75lb tc through action avon (over 10 years old) 0.18 main and 0.15 hooklink preston C1 hooks

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My set up will be basic 4lb Maxima to 0.16 Stroft hooklength with a 16 B911. If I remember right I still managed to lose a couple of rogue big Carp I hooked last year on that when they stormed off down the margin into bankside vegetation a few pegs down.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d go much lighter than that for crucians on the float. Unless you’ve got a realistic chance of a specimen you’re best off targeting them with silvers gear really.

Trent_Fisher

My set up will be basic 4lb Maxima to 0.16 Stroft hooklength with a 16 B911. If I remember right I still managed to lose a couple of rogue big Carp I hooked last year on that when they stormed off down the margin into bankside vegetation a few pegs down.
0.16? That’s about 6-7lb if I’m not mistaken? Far too heavy for crucian I would say. If I was fishing for them on the waggler I’d be looking at around 2-3lb bottom. Granted you might lose the carp but you’ve got more chance of catching the crucian using a scaled down approach.

Scaled down method feeders with 4mm or 6mm pellet or float fishing with very small cubes of meat has worked for me in the past.

Last edited: