Lets talk Crucians

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My next session when the weather sorts itself out will be for Crucians, little bars of gold. It was already established after my session last year that the fish in my venue are not 'true' Crucians due to the presence of Brown Goldfish and Carp, but to me, for all intents and purposes, unless I catch a record which is highly unlikely, they are Crucians.

Last year on my only session I had about 10 Crucians, 5 Brown Goldfish and 5 Koi type things, some of them a very good size so I'm looking forward to this year even though it might be a bit harder as it was a lot warmer last May.

The lake I fish is 20' deep in places. I tried casting a feeder out last year, only a few rod lengths out and it was seemingly bottomless with the feeder taking longer to hit the bottom than it does at a very deep big Bream lake I fish, so very deep for only small lakes.

But being so deep, and being Crucians, this means the best way to catch them is on the marginal shelf anyway.

I will be fishing a light waggler probably fished 'refined lift method' style as described by Martin Bowler just off the tip of the rod. That's what I did last year anyway. Some people have suggested the slider to me but I don't think the fish will be in the deep water.

I have some Middy Canal Grey style floats which although not my first choice of float, will do for this kind of fishing without having to buy some ones I've seen that look like Drennan Visi Wags but are unloaded and slightly more bodied, not sure what they're called.

Bait wise I will take Maggots, Casters, Sweetcorn and a few 4mm pellets. Keeping it simple. Last year maggot was the best bait as Corn attracted Carp but it meant I had to fish through a lot of Roach and Perch to catch the Crucians, but at least they will guarantee bites for my dad if we don't catch any Crucians.

You can always tell when you hook a Crucian though from the hard but dizzy fight they give.

Has anyone caught any Crucians so far this year? Where they 'true' Crucians? If so how did you catch them?

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Are the lakes you are fishing gravel pits? That is crazily deep for a small lake.

Crucians are such a stunning looking fish.
I personally have only caught 1 so far (I’m not sure if it is a true Crucian) but I was fishing about a rod length out near some lilies, fishing dead depth with a maggot and caster on a size 18 hook. The nicest looking fish I’ve landed thus far.

62E3CB44-4D19-429F-8B3C-9702D08E8D5B.jpeg

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Are the lakes you are fishing gravel pits? That is crazily deep for a small lake.
Lovely looking little fish there. I don't think they are gravel pits but I'm not 100%. It's called Hurst Farm in Bridgnorth and looks to me like just dug out farm lakes. :unsure:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Arrow where I fished last time, oval where I want to fish with my dad next time, I think that's a shallower end of the lake.

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 08.49.19.png

Silver fan 82

You will probably get loads of differing opinions here mate TBH.
I've always done quite well on the maggot feeder but also small method feeder with pellet hookbait while after Tench. Dendrobeana has also been a good bait for me.
Trouble I find when using maggots and worms is it attracts too many silvers.
If it were me I'd fish two rods if possible. One further out with a light feeder approach, the other close in the margins float fishing.

As a side note mate what is meant by the refined lift method?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
As a side note mate what is meant by the refined lift method?

It's basically the lift method but with only a BB shot close to the hook and overshotting the float. You have to plumb up to dead depth as it doesn't require as much tightening down to the float as if you're using a big shot next to the hook.

squimp

Site Supporter
If you haven’t already done so, watch the videos on crucian fishing by Phil Spinks (AD tv) and also Paul Garner.

Phil goes thru close range float tactics and Paul covers method feeders and some clever bait ideas.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
MCrucians are such a stunning looking fish.
I personally have only caught 1 so far (I’m not sure if it is a true Crucian) but I was fishing about a rod length out near some lilies, fishing dead depth with a maggot and caster on a size 18 hook. The nicest looking fish I’ve landed thus far.

62E3CB44-4D19-429F-8B3C-9702D08E8D5B.jpeg
I think Milton is the only place I’ve caught crucians locally. Have had some quite nice ones in there getting on for 2lb. As you say maggots or caster on the deck just off the lillies seems to do the trick as they don’t seem to be in the open water with the silvers.

Weirdly the best crucians I’ve caught were from a lake in Norfolk on the drop and sometimes off the top on bread flake!

Silver fan 82

It's basically the lift method but with only a BB shot close to the hook and overshotting the float. You have to plumb up to dead depth as it doesn't require as much tightening down to the float as if you're using a big shot next to the hook.
So do you shot the float correctly and the small shot over shots the float giving the lift effect?

satinet

Site Supporter
Used to use drennan glow tip antenna. This lake there was a slope not really a shelf before the bottom. Problem is such a fine tip float goes under of the bait is off bottom. Very shy bites at this place. Great fun.

Don't know if this was a true cruey but it was big. (Should have used unhooked mat I know).

Attachments

• 20150517_154807.jpg
    20150517_154807.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 10

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Used to use drennan glow tip antenna. This lake there was a slope not really a shelf before the bottom. Problem is such a fine tip float goes under of the bait is off bottom. Very shy bites at this place. Great fun.

Don't know if this was a true cruey but it was big. (Should have used unhooked mat I know).
Nice fish. Those Glow Tip Antenna floats where the ones I was looking at, think I'll make do with what I've got this year though as will probably only be one session.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
The best way I have found to target Crucians in my club lake is to feed very little at a time, but very often. Step up the feed amount and tench / bream move in and push the Crucians out.

satinet

Site Supporter
Nice fish. Those Glow Tip Antenna floats where the ones I was looking at, think I'll make do with what I've got this year though as will probably only be one session.
Even with those glow tips dotted down it was hard to register bites with them. Never had fish that were that finicky on the bait. Brilliant fun though.

Tbh probably be better on a pole with extra sensitivity and better placement.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Some of the best crucian catches I’ve had over the years have come to tiny pieces of cheese slice. I’ve often wondered if this bait would work for F1’s. 🤔

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I think Milton is the only place I’ve caught crucians locally. Have had some quite nice ones in there getting on for 2lb. As you say maggots or caster on the deck just off the lillies seems to do the trick as they don’t seem to be in the open water with the silvers.

Weirdly the best crucians I’ve caught were from a lake in Norfolk on the drop and sometimes off the top on bread flake!
I caught a hybrid type Crucian yesterday which was a decent size from Milton. It had Goldfish like fins but crucian like in colour. The fish from the photo is from Linears - One summer pond. A couple of bailiffs have told me it’s stocked once a year with ‘genuine’ crucians. I’d like to think it’s a genuine one but I’m not 100 percent.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've had quite a few this year from our club waters on most sessions, ranging from a couple of ounces up to a pound. We have brown goldfish in one pond & they're much bigger than the crucians in the others.
I've caught them using the pole and mainly on expanders or corn. Had one on meat last Wednesday.

Attachments

• Clover crucian.jpg
    Clover crucian.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 8

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I use the drennan glow tip unloaded fron 2bb up to 5bb, I load them with solder wire so they all take 6no 8 ish, nice and sensitive, can be dotted right down great for shy bits, mainly those pesky 2-6 oz skimmers. Unfortunately not to many crucian's to found round here, remember when club ponds were all the rage 25-30 years all waters had a really good head of then used to attack it like f1 waters, shalla with maggots.