Lets go round (the weir pool) again!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Or should that be 'weird pool' as today was a bit of a strange one.

Sometimes you can’t get past the smaller fish in there when looking for big fish, but today they were almost nonexistent. I set out early, which was worth doing as at 7am another angler turned up and ended up fishing the peg downstream where I wouldn’t have been able to float fish. I’d bought quite a bit of bait, 3 pints of maggots, a pint of casters, and a load of bread. The plan was to fish all day and smash my target by catching 20lb. Ended up coming home with most of it.

I started on 8mm Bread Punch feeding mash. On about the third trot through I struck into something decent, a 3lbish Chub. Not a bad start I thought! The Bread Punch and Mash was working! Then on about the 8th trot through another decent Chub of about 2.5lb. A nice fish but suspicions where already being raised as by the 20th trot through, no sign of any smaller fish, Not to worry I thought, there’s always maggot, maybe it’s the Punch. So after a couple of fruitless hours, save for the 2 Chub, I switched hopefully to maggot, No bites followed!

That is until I caught, wait for it… a Gudgeon! Another species to add to list of fish caught there but it was difficult going. The sun was coming up and the water was gin clear, I could see the end of my keepnet quite clearly. All that followed was a couple of tiny Roach and a Chublet so come 11am it was time to cut my losses and get home in time for a cooked breakfast.

I blame it on the water being low and clear, the cold snap, and the high pressure because the smaller fish just weren’t about today. Did go back on Bread for a while with a larger punch and hook but that wasn’t working and the angler downstream hadn’t had any either. It might really be ‘one more time’ on this weir for a while as I will be going back to Patshull and probably spend other time on the Severn. Just never can tell with fishing, especially on rivers sometimes.

2020-08-30 11.03.10.jpg

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Lovely write up Zerkalo. Thank you for that 👍. I’m not telling you how to suck eggs here as you probably already know but, just a little tip. When using a keepnet and you think you may get a chub or three, turn the top ring 360* full circle. This will prevent your chub from jumping out the top. Trust me, they can and often do. I lost a Long Higgin match once due to a chub jumping free. Fourth place when I should have won. Still have nightmares. 😂😂👍

Well done young man. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice chub 👍🏻 If you are not going to catch much they’re pretty good fish to catch 🙂

Reckon you are right about the cold killing the sport. Obviously it isn’t actually cold but it’s much colder than it should be/was a few days ago.

Couldn’t believe how cold my ponds had gone when I was tidying them up this morning. The fish are only coming off the bottom when I feed them but not cruising the upper layers like they had for the past few months. Has made me think twice about my own fishing tomorrow, was set on a float session but now leaning towards the feeder. See how I feel in the morning.

carphauler

Roachhauler
I went yesterday for a few hours mate, the stick float route went out the window as the river was boiling and it was 11ft deep off the rod tip, fished a bread feeder for a couple hours and had 1 bream about 3lb which was a first for me on the stretch.
Forgot my meat so barbelling was out, came home early.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Lovely write up Zerkalo. Thank you for that 👍. I’m not telling you how to suck eggs here as you probably already know but, just a little tip. When using a keepnet and you think you may get a chub or three, turn the top ring 360* full circle. This will prevent your chub from jumping out the top. Trust me, they can and often do. I lost a Long Higgin match once due to a chub jumping free. Fourth place when I should have won. Still have nightmares. 😂😂👍

Well done young man. 👍
Thanks mate and forgive me for laughing but that's quite a funny story albeit sorry you lost your Chub. I will have to try that next time as I do have the keepnet quite low to the water at this place, they could easily make the jump I think.

Nice chub 👍🏻 If you are not going to catch much they’re pretty good fish to catch 🙂

Reckon you are right about the cold killing the sport. Obviously it isn’t actually cold but it’s much colder than it should be/was a few days ago.

Couldn’t believe how cold my ponds had gone when I was tidying them up this morning. The fish are only coming off the bottom when I feed them but not cruising the upper layers like they had for the past few months. Has made me think twice about my own fishing tomorrow, was set on a float session but now leaning towards the feeder. See how I feel in the morning.
Thanks mate. It would have been interesting for me to chuck a feeder or a bomb out with no smaller fish about (or maybe they were shoaled up downstream) and see what happened but I think it probably is the cold and clear water that has affected it. Good luck for tomorrow.

I went yesterday for a few hours mate, the stick float route went out the window as the river was boiling and it was 11ft deep off the rod tip, fished a bread feeder for a couple hours and had 1 bream about 3lb which was a first for me on the stretch.
Forgot my meat so barbelling was out, came home early.
I'm yet to have a Bream from the Severn (well I had skimmers and think I hooked one at Stourport once)! What stretch where you on? Part of me thinks I should have gone to this weir yesterday as it might have had a bit more colour to it and has came down quite a lot overnight. I considered the Severn yesterday but thought it might the case that it would be too high after all the rain at the end of last week.