Lethargic pike

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Hi all.

Had a lure session on the river yesterday having barely fished for the chub so far this season using regular tactics due to water levels. Went light with small shads lightish braid and wire trace (chance of pike) on a 9ft pellet waggler rod targeting chub and perch. I didnt get any chub, far too clear but managed a nice perch about 2lb and 2 pike in the 8- 10lb bracket. When both the pike struck i panicked thinking id struggle to get em in on such light gear but they came in with the apathy of a large bream. They both went back well shooting off after a brief rest (chinned and unhooked in water) but i was a little concerned having not specifically targeted them or caught many pike, let alone summer pike. Is this normal or is it the low water levels/heat and they dont have the energy? I dont wish to start an ethics discussion on pike in summer as they weren't my target and the perch went nuts. Just wondering as im a very intermittent lure angler and not seen pike behave like this before.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
It depends a little on the river, but if the oxygen levels are low, it will be that - it's one of the reasons that they are traditionally not fished for in the summer and with the lack of rain, constant sun and low water levels, they'll be as low as they're going to get.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve certainly had far fewer pike attack’s this summer than usual which I’ve put down to lower oxygen/flow levels combined with hear as what attacks I have had have tended to be early in the sessions when it’s obviously cooler. With the amount of roach caught I’d normally expect to average at least an attack an hour but don’t think I’ve had as many as a handful of attacks on any one session locally and often have had none at all which was a rare thing to happen before this season. When I have hooked them they’ve pulled as hard as ever though so must still be in decent nick just not feeding as aggressively as usual.

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
I was fishing in a deep pool. Good 10ft deep 100 yd stretch where the majority of my club stretch averages about a foot deep at the mo. Still a bit of flow as the faster shallow stretch flows into the deeps. Think ill just leave it until we get rain meaning ive had 4 sessions on the river since season started :(

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I suspect it depends on the venue, and whether you stick hooks in them, but I pretty much always find that pike give a very uninspiring fight when they grab fish caught on a float rod. Basically they grab the fish in a rush, but then just plod around.
The jack that kept grabbing dace and perch in my peg on saturday certainly was pretty active !!