Lessons from trotting this evening

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just a few daft things I learned fishing the waggler on the Severn today.

1) After my last thread about shotting patterns on the waggler I’ve taken the advice and only put a few no8s on the line and came away with no tangles this time so thank you.

2) I think I’m probably better off with barbed or micro-barbed hooks especially after bumping a lot of fish, probably Perch.

3) Stourport has a ton of Perch compared to other fish, at least at the moment, that's basically how I remember it being back in the day, quite difficult.

I'm slowly building up new skills even if still rubbish at it. :) It was a very peaceful evening even if I didn't catch much.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You shouldn’t need anything but barbless hooks once you’ve figured out the line control as you then are a lot tighter to the fish so bump less. As to the perch dominance it’ll be interesting to see what happens when you try hemp. You’d think there was hardly anything in the Thames but bleak when you fish maggot but switch to hemp and it comes alive with roach and a few other species.

And you seem a pretty good angler to me so I highly doubt you’re rubbish at it! Practice makes perfect after all so stick at it. I was trotting pretty awfully 3 weeks back but in the last couple weeks I’ve found the groove again and I’m catching pretty well as a result.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
To be fair it's so slow at Stourport that it's not too much different to fishing a stillwater. Thanks for the encouragement though mate, I just need to catch my first really good bag as a bit of a confidence booster at the moment, thinking about trying the Warks Avon as got the taste for it now.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be fair it's so slow at Stourport that it's not too much different to fishing a stillwater. Thanks for the encouragement though mate, I just need to catch my first really good bag as a bit of a confidence booster at the moment, thinking about trying the Warks Avon as got the taste for it now.

stick to one place and get to know it well, believe me, if you go legging it around half the country fishing different rivers your mind will be so confused as to this and that, your never get owt dead right,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah when you crack it and get a good bag you’ll be full of confidence. In terms of sessions of proper length I’ve cracked it 4 out of my last 5 attempts now and it does make you much more sure of yourself that you’re doing the right things. Before that I was wondering what I was doing wrong but in reality it was probably just timing/conditions and me being rusty whereas now it’s the right time with the right conditions and I’ve found my rhythm so it’s going well for now.

Warks Avon is a nice trotting river being steady paced and a short Chuck into decent depth. That said I’m going to stick on the Thames roach until the end of this month whilst it’s prime time given I’ve found a couple consistent swims so far this month so makes sense to milk them a bit! Then I’ll maybe hit the Avon and Ouse for a month before returning to the Thames roach the following month. Well that’s the plan but who knows what’ll be the reality lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I do plan on spending a bit more time at Stourport. It's lovely and tranquil down there by the river. Fished a different peg today and was dead comfy again despite the walk.

I enjoy playing even small fish more than I thought too, a 10oz-ish Perch felt like a lump, on the nice light rod I was using. (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah when people say small fish don’t fight it’s purely down to the gear and venue. Almost any healthy wild fish over 4-5oz with some flow behind it and reasonable depth will give a surprising pull on a proper float rod with 10oz fish making you think they are a pound plus.

Total

Site Supporter
stick to one place and get to know it well, believe me, if you go legging it around half the country fishing different rivers your mind will be so confused as to this and that, your never get owt dead right,

@Zerkalo .....Luke take this advice above....Read and reread it, print it on ya bedroom ceiling, play it on car stereo etc etc.... (y) ......Rome wasn't built in a day mate.....Ya doing alright....;)

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I'd give the micro barb hooks a try if I were you. It's all I use for trotting the Ribble and having tried barbless and lost plenty of dace off the hook I reverted to micros and problem solved. May well have been dace you were bumping as they tend to be experts in spinning themselves off barbless hooks in my experience.

davej1981

The important thing is you are learning, I believe even if you blank or dont catch much theres always something you can bring away with you for next

Lcn

I'd give the micro barb hooks a try if I were you. It's all I use for trotting the Ribble and having tried barbless and lost plenty of dace off the hook I reverted to micros and problem solved. May well have been dace you were bumping as they tend to be experts in spinning themselves off barbless hooks in my experience.
I always use micro barbs on the ribble and calder , dace and grayling can be a pain for twisting and coming off barbless no matter what you do

solwood

Site Supporter
Agree, I use microbarb on the Wey and barbless at my club Stillwater. I found I lost too many fish with barbless.

I have a second hook box for these, same pattern as in barbless in the other box and also on same diameter line.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s interesting on the micro barb point, I’ve never lost enough fish on barbless to need to worry as I’m just a pleasure angler. How many were you guys losing? Be interested to see if I lose less or if I’m just more tolerant of losing the odd one lol

Lcn

That’s interesting on the micro barb point, I’ve never lost enough fish on barbless to need to worry as I’m just a pleasure angler. How many were you guys losing? Be interested to see if I lose less or if I’m just more tolerant of losing the odd one lol
Not fished barbless on the river for years now so can’t really give you an accurate number but it was more than the odd one . The dace fishing on the ribble can be hectic and when you are getting a bite every cast and quite often within seconds of the bait hitting the water it can add up to a fair few over a morning session .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Lcn thats interesting thanks. Come to think of it probably does just come down to the species. I predominately catch roach and probably only lose 1 in 10 but thinking back to sessions where I’ve had a lot of dace I probably have lost more of them. Like you say they give a more awkward fight and bite a lot quicker than a roach so you probably don’t get as good a hook hold to start with before they start wriggling rather than sort of thumping like a roach does.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Just keep going to the same venue until you master it, choose pegs with a steady flow until you get used to controlling the float properly, try top and bottom floats as well as bottom end only get used to what each float can give you in running water catch a few fish then when you are confident move onto to different venues. I was lucky that I learned my running water fishing in fairly fast flowing spate rivers so got used to controlling a float in fast water pretty quickly. As for barbless hooks I only use barbless and when I switched over I found my catch rate increased as I was converting more bites into fish in the net as I feel a barbless hook gives good penetration so you set the hook quickly in the mouths of fast biting fish, and yes that includes dace (they were my main quarry for most of my fishing) as long as you keep the line fairly tight between rod tip and fish you should be OK, yes you will lose a few but I found that this was negated by the extra bites I was hitting, maybe try changing hook pattern I would thoroughly recommend giving Tubertini 808's a try

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s another good point on barbless, I’m pretty sure you do get better hook penetration so hook more fish in the first place. Plus the less time you need to unhook them gets you back out there quicker to get the next bite!